Author Topic: Mauritania Independence Day Message - Pompeo  (Read 333 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mauritania Independence Day Message - Pompeo
« on: November 30, 2019, 02:39:27 pm »
Mauritania Independence Day Message
By Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State

On behalf of the United States, I congratulate the people and Government of Mauritania on the occasion of your 59th Independence Day.

The United States is proud to have been the first country to recognize Mauritania’s independence, and our broad-based bilateral relationship has withstood the test of time.  As Mauritania consolidates democratic gains after this year’s historic election by promoting national unity, we look forward to working together to advance human rights and social equality to ensure peace and stability, to promote investment and fair labor practices to spur economic growth, and to bolster security cooperation in the region.

Read more at: https://www.africanews.com/2019/11/28/mauritania-independence-day-message/

I don't know much about Mauritania but often I think things are said like "slavery is there", I don't know much about it's history but the article below seems to say, there was a massive removal (forced them to go to Senegal) of the black people there.  And the head of the nation looks Arabic. So, just posting this stuff. Maybe more to read later. Also note, the below article says the people, some of the people forced to move are the "Fulani" people, well, Fulani herdsmen, Nomads, whatever, seem to kill and persecute Christians in Nigeria. Pictures of the president I see, look like an Arab... so the story below says it has been the Arabs that pushed them out.

Crossing the river: Black Mauritanians haunted by mass expulsion to Senegal
Amandla Thomas-Johnson

It is 30 years since thousands of Mauritanians were driven from their homes on the Senegal river by the Arab-led government

Mariame Dia does not know how old she is but her worn eyes have seen enough for a lifetime.

The faces of the policemen who turned her out of her home. The despaired looks on her children's faces as they were forced to cross the river by boat. They have shed tears for the brothers and sisters she was forced to leave behind in Mauritania.

Read more at:  https://www.middleeasteye.net/big-story/mauritania-senegal-river-refugees

Fascinating, all the same... I will need to read up on this country that you rarely hear about in the news and not be confused with the "Mauritius Islands" which are apparently, islands off the East coast of Africa near Madagascar.