Author Topic: Op-ed: Navy corruption and the Gallagher case  (Read 434 times)

rangerrebew

Op-ed: Navy corruption and the Gallagher case
« on: November 27, 2019, 01:28:14 pm »
Op-ed: Navy corruption and the Gallagher case
By: Sean Gallagher   

In this partisan environment, people were quick to judge President Donald J. Trump’s reinstatement of anchors to my brother, Special Warfare Operator Chief Edward “Eddie” Gallagher.

Out of the woodwork came former military attorneys, indignant Pentagon officials and your typical Washington establishment types.

Their views were mainly the same. The president’s actions were a moral hazard! What message will it send our troops? What of good order and discipline?

https://www.navytimes.com/opinion/2019/11/27/op-ed-navy-corruption-and-the-gallagher-case/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Op-ed: Navy corruption and the Gallagher case
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 05:24:27 pm »
Something is terribly wrong with "order and discipline" when a Seal can be railroaded into Leavenworth for the crime of killing an active terrorist. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 08:25:35 am »
Interesting outcome, and I feel a just one.
All we know is what the media have reported, some of that contradictory, but the bad seems to be from the usual suspects.
I am glad Gallagher gets to keep the Trident he earned, and has had his rank restored.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 06:43:01 pm »
Something is terribly wrong with "order and discipline" when a Seal can be railroaded into Leavenworth for the crime of killing an active terrorist.

@Cyber Liberty

The problem HAS to exist when you have ONE tiny,little unit that actually has eye to eye physical contact and combat with the enemy as a part of a HUGE "Mother Organization" that never sees combat,doesn't know the first thing about it,and specializes in wearing white and marching in a straight line. What the Navy worships is RULES,and the Navy brass hates SEAL's because they don't live the life or follow the rules of the regular Navy.

If it weren't for the fact that the SEALS keep the Navy in the fight and in the military budget because they are in the fight,the Navy would be more than happy to disband the unit and discharges the members for "being unsuitable for duty in the Navy".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 07:53:44 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

The problem HAS to exist when you have ONE tiny,little unit that actually has eye to eye physical contact and combat with the enemy as a part of a HUGE "Mother Organization" that never sees combat,doesn't know the first thing about it,and specializes in wearing white and marching in a straight line. What the Navy worships is RULES,and the Navy brass hates SEAL's because they don't live the life or follow the rules of the regular Navy.

If it weren't for the fact that the SEALS keep the Navy in the fight and in the military budget because they are in the fight,the Navy would be more than happy to disband the unit and discharges the members for "being unsuitable for duty in the Navy".
The polished brass navy has had a boner for the SEALS for a while. My friend, who was a plankowner in the original SEAL Team 6 said they didn't have to be in uniform, stand watch, had their own part of the ship, IOW weren't "regular Navy", and I have little doubt that caused no small amount of irritation among some who did not appreciate their skills or mission. Not being part of the normal command structure has been a thorn in the sides of some officers who will likely never deal with an enemy at arm's length or closer.

Bottom line is that you can't send men off to do a tough job in what amounts to a different world, and then prosecute them by back home standards for doing it. That sort of crap will only damage combat effectiveness.

The American soldier's edge in conflict has ever been the ability to improvise, make judgement calls, and get the job done, without the pall of micromanagement and need for a direct order to prevent repercussions that hobbles other military forces.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jpsb

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 08:19:08 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

The US Navy, at least the surface fleet has forgot how to sail their warships in a safe manner. They stopped teaching
basic seamanship years ago and now we have a bunch of Naval Officers that don't know squat about operating a war
ship on the high seas. Which ever Naval Officer decided to save a few bucks by not training jr officers should be in the
brig. They don't even post watches on the deck at night! I've lost a lot of respect for the US Navy.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 10:45:28 pm »
They don't even post watches on the deck at night!

PLEASE tell me you are kidding!

LOTS of flammable material on ships,and if you don't notice a fire right away,it's just too damn late to stop it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 11:39:41 pm »
The polished brass navy has had a boner for the SEALS for a while. My friend, who was a plankowner in the original SEAL Team 6 said they didn't have to be in uniform, stand watch, had their own part of the ship, IOW weren't "regular Navy", and I have little doubt that caused no small amount of irritation among some who did not appreciate their skills or mission. Not being part of the normal command structure has been a thorn in the sides of some officers who will likely never deal with an enemy at arm's length or closer.

@Smokin Joe

We had the same problem in SF. Some local commander would see a recon team at a fire base in his area,and come up with the bright idea that he was going to commander them to serve his unit. They didn't like it when somebody with sterile fatigues that he KNEW was enlisted swine would start out by saying "Nope,not gonna do it. We already have missions to run,and they come first.",and it would usually devolve to "go piss up a rope." This was particularly true of USMC Colonels.

Hell,on occasion we have had conventional army officers try to confiscate the CAR-15's or AK's/RPD's from our yards to keep as their own personal weapons. They were outraged that "some primitive VN has a CAR-15 and I don't!, WAHHHHH!". I saw a damn fool Captain come close to getting shot at the Kontum airfield one day over that crap. To this very day I doubt he understands how close he came to getting killed when he tried to snatch it out of the hands of a Yard recon team interperter/team leader. He did seem to understand reason when it was presented to him as a 45 held against his temple,though. A calm,soothing voice and a 45 will make a lot of people reasonable.

Keep in mind we were all wearing sterile uniforms,and the yard point man was dressed as a NVA,pith helmet,AK-47,and all. He had no idea who we were,or even who to complain to about us.

The "wear red and march in a straight line" military ALWAYS hates unconventional units and soldiers because the regular military forces are conventional by nature. What really make their bells ring is when they would get mad and demand our ID's so they could write us up,and we would truthfully tell them we didn't have ID cards.  There was just no way they could wrap their heads around that.