Author Topic: The Hatred that Fuels Impeachment... Victor Davis Hanson  (Read 825 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Hatred that Fuels Impeachment... Victor Davis Hanson
« on: November 25, 2019, 02:19:50 pm »
The Hatred that Fuels Impeachment

We are in new territory now. Hating a president is equivalent to finding him guilty of supposed high crimes. Impeachment is a casual affair. Hearsay is as valid as direct testimony.

Victor Davis Hanson
- November 24th, 2019

Neither the NeverTrump Right nor the Progressive Left has yet offered a coherent defense of their de facto, three-year-long singular effort to delegitimize and ultimately remove Trump from office before the 2020 election.

We are now in the midst of a systematic effort to impeach a president on the basis of a thought crime. Trump’s purported quid pro quo sin was issuing a temporary hold on military assistance to Ukraine that supposedly transcended legitimate worries about rampant corruption—to include specifically investigating the suspicious behavior of a corrupt Ukrainian oil company and the compromised relationship of former Vice President Joe Biden and his son around it.

The anti-Trump writ is that it is impeachable even to delay to the Ukrainians lethal military assistance while citing the need to investigate the corruption of Ukrainians, including the career of Hunter Biden, whose father, the former vice president and “point man” on Ukraine, is now running for president.

Supposedly irrelevant to this inquiry is the prior policy of denying military aid to Ukraine, intervening in Ukrainian politics to fire a prosecutor by threatening a cutoff of even nonmilitary aid, and ignoring that the vice president’s son served as a lucrative functionary with a corrupt Ukrainian company while his father was adjudicating U.S. aid to Ukraine.

So why this disconnect? The reason is not “Ukraine,” merely the latest iteration in a long series of efforts, but rather existential hatred.

more
https://amgreatness.com/2019/11/24/the-hatred-that-fuels-impeachment/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The Hatred that Fuels Impeachment... Victor Davis Hanson
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 03:03:13 pm »
FTA:

In this wider context, impeachment is rebooted as no longer a rare gambit, but a sort of parliamentary vote of no confidence, analogous to a European government. When Democrats lose elections, they can now immediately talk of impeachment first, and find the supposed crimes later. Democrats are not fearful of institutionalizing impeachment without cause. Indeed, they welcome its normalization in times of Republican presidencies.

Love VDH! 

I've been making the point I highlighted in this excerpt since the '16 election:  The Democrats (and their voters) seem to have this idiotic notion Impeachment is analogous to a vote of "No Confidence."  The Founders were dead-set against European-style of government, especially in this regard.  They did not want an Executive subject to removal by a simple majority.  They considered and rejected such an arrangement because it gives the Legislative Branch too much power over the Executive, defeating the system of Constitutional checks and balances.  It's "separation of powers." 

That this balance leads to a constant tension between the Branches isn't a bug, it's a feature.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 03:47:10 pm »
An insightful legal argument from the wise Vic Hanson which reminds of another wise Old Roman.
Machiavelli asked, "Is it better the Prince be loved or feared?" and History has given us the answer.
As Trump craves attention, most of his situation is self-inflicted, because his mortal enemies
see him as a noisy and reckless narcissist to be abused but never feared.
His relentless fans will never accept this, yet no matter, as his daily behavior affirms it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:48:25 pm by Absalom »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 03:54:46 pm »
An insightful legal argument from the wise Vic Hanson which reminds of another wise Old Roman.
Machiavelli asked, "Is it better the Prince be loved or feared?" and History has given us the answer.
As Trump craves attention, most of his condition is self-inflicted, because his mortal enemies see
him as a noisy and reckless narcissist to be abused but never feared.
His relentless fans will never accept this, yet no matter, as his daily behavior affirms it.

You don't think they fear Trump? 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 04:35:18 pm »
As Trump craves attention, most of his condition is self-inflicted, because his mortal enemies see
him as a noisy and reckless narcissist to be abused but never feared.

Are you kidding me?

Trump, arguably the most talked about, written about, reported on individual on planet earth, with 70 million twitter followers? That Trump? And you think he worries about getting enough attention?

:silly:

That’s a good one! Lol.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 06:56:16 pm »
-----------------------------------
When your mortal enemy fears you, he will never provoke your anger.
This impeachment fandango is staged to provoke and anger Trump
for a plain and simple reason.
They have absolutely no fear of him or the consequences of their actions. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 07:02:57 pm »
-----------------------------------
When your mortal enemy fears you, he will never provoke your anger.
This impeachment fandango is staged to provoke and anger Trump
for a plain and simple reason.
They have absolutely no fear of him or the consequences of their actions.

I disagree with that premise.  An opponent who fears you will still try to gaslight you into making a tactical mistake.  It is to Trump's benefit that tactic boomerangs a lot.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 08:36:45 pm »
Are you kidding me?
Trump, arguably the most talked about, written about, reported on individual on planet earth, with 70 million twitter followers? That Trump? And you think he worries about getting enough attention?
:silly:
That’s a good one! Lol.
---------------------------------
What's silly are your goofy assertions.
I'm hardly kidding nor are the millions of voters who perceive Trump
as a narcissist which is a personality disorder characterized by:
* a craving for relentless admiration,
* an inflated sense of self-importance,
* a compulsion to grossly exaggerate self-achievement,
* the refusal to accept/learn from any/all criticism.
As the family biographer details, Trump was sent to military(reform) school as an early teen
to correct his behavior; as his mother well understood his personality disorder.
Suggest you try a book (skip the comic books) and reflect!!!

Offline Absalom

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 10:31:59 pm »
I disagree with that premise.  An opponent who fears you will still try to gaslight you into making a tactical mistake.  It is to Trump's benefit that tactic boomerangs a lot.
-------------------------
Disagree w/your worthy opinion.
Arguably one of Man's greatest motivators is self-preservation.
Fear of our adversaries/enemies, keeps us focused on that.
When they are no longer feared, we become careless/reckless.
Suggest this is what is going on w/the impeachment fandango.
As for the boomerangs they have the media to cover their kiester
while he is always exposed.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 12:04:54 am »
As Trump craves attention, most of his situation is self-inflicted, because his mortal enemies
see him as a noisy and reckless narcissist to be abused but never feared.

Machiavelli wasn't a Roman, old or otherwise.  Whether Trump is a noisy and reckless narcissist has nothing to do with the validity of trying to remove him from office before his term is complete.

By the way, I assume your opinion on Trump was approximately the same in 2016.  The Democrats shared your feeling that he was nobody to be "feared", and an inconsequential political adversary.  How'd that work out for them?

Truth is, Trump's adversaries absolutely fear him, which is exactly why they are so desperate to get him out of office.  Trump also has a lot of supporters.  And while saying they "love" him would sound very creepy, it's certainly the case that they are extremely supportive of him.  So....feared by your enemies, "loved" by your supporters.  Seems to be about right.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:08:14 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 12:49:14 am »
Machiavelli wasn't a Roman, old or otherwise.  Whether Trump is a noisy and reckless narcissist has nothing to do with the validity of trying to remove him from office before his term is complete.

By the way, I assume your opinion on Trump was approximately the same in 2016.  The Democrats shared your feeling that he was nobody to be "feared", and an inconsequential political adversary.  How'd that work out for them?

Truth is, Trump's adversaries absolutely fear him, which is exactly why they are so desperate to get him out of office.  Trump also has a lot of supporters.  And while saying they "love" him would sound very creepy, it's certainly the case that they are extremely supportive of him.  So....feared by your enemies, "loved" by your supporters.  Seems to be about right.

I have absolutely no hesitation in saying I love the guy. I’m not one of those supporters who damn Trump with faint praise. Nope. In my opinion Trump’s the best thing to happen to American political life since I’ve been alive.

There are negative perceptions of Trump, but I’d like to remind folks of why that might be so. It’s something that someone said to Trump after he won election and saw the resistance begin: If you thought they were just gonna hand your government back to you, your crazy.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 01:18:22 am »
A uniformly excellent piece, as hard on the ne'ertrumpers as on the democrat-communists.

No current opinion writer is hitting the mark as well as Mr. Hanson.

He is fighting as hard as anyone to assist Mr. Trump in keeping the democrat-communists from succeeding in their putsch.

Mr. Hanson writes:
"In this wider context, impeachment is rebooted as no longer a rare gambit, but a sort of parliamentary vote of no confidence, analogous to a European government. When Democrats lose elections, they can now immediately talk of impeachment first, and find the supposed crimes later. Democrats are not fearful of institutionalizing impeachment without cause. Indeed, they welcome its normalization in times of Republican presidencies."

Read that carefully.
If the impeachment against Mr. Trump succeeds, EVERY Republican president (assuming there will BE ANY more Republican presidents after Trump) is going to face the same fate.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 05:37:47 am »
-------------------------------
Niccolo Machiavelli, aka Old Nick, was a Diplomat during the 15th century Italian Renaissance.
The descriptive Old Roman was used by several of his biographers to highlight the values/virtues
he shared w/those of many Ancient Romans, most prominently Cicero, so spare me the lecture.
My opinion of Trump was formed more than 60 years past from family who knew him intimately
since his boyhood in Jamaica, Queens and predictably, nothing has or ever will change w/him.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 07:05:41 am »
Neither the NeverTrump Right

I resent that. If anything,they are the Bible-Thumping left. The right have open minds. You couldn't open those minds with dynamite.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 07:08:06 am »

@Cyber Liberty

Shhhhh! Let them stew in their own stupidity as they dream of the "Good Old Days" when they had candidates they could respect,like Poppy Bush,Boy Jorge Bush,and John McLunatic.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 07:12:06 am »

:thumbsup:  @Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 07:20:16 am »
For those who haven't read the article, here is a little more of what you missed ...

Unlike a Romney or McCain, Trump’s earthy populism and not quite orthodox Republicanism are aimed at working people in general, and increasingly to minorities in particular. In other words, Trump is the first Republican in recent years who seeks not just to win an election from a Democratic rival, but to weaken the political foundations of the current Democratic hold on power in general.

Progressives also grasp that Trump has also ended the Republican Marquess of Queensbury rules of restraint that had helped Democrats in the past, especially in the 2008 and 2016 elections.

The combative Trump instead adopted prior “war room” protocols of liberal scrappers like Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, and seems to prefer winning ugly than losing nobly. NeverTrumpers share this repugnance at Trump’s politicking, but not because it might erode Democratic support. They are angrier because it is a style that neither conveys proper coastal conservatism nor reflects good breeding, education, and ZIP-code manners—and it appeals to deplorable voters, whom John McCain once called the “crazies,” and whom the establishment Republicans do not really want in their static party.

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 07:22:59 am »
And this ...

Second, NeverTrumpers are orphaned from 90 percent of the Republican Party who voted and will vote again for Trump. They know they are often played as useful idiots by progressives who otherwise want nothing to do with them, and will not wish to have anything to do with them, even as apostates, in the post-Trump era.

They have crossed the proverbial Rubicon and must know that they have no constituency left and cannot go back. They are tottering on their coastal perches, alienated from all their accustomed conservative loci of influence, power, and prestige. So they go even further for broke: either Trump is disgraced and removed from office and they are redeemed in “I told you so” fashion, or they will continue to become marginalized, as embittered and lonely scolds in the twilight of their careers.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 07:38:22 am »
For those who haven't read the article, here is a little more of what you missed ...

The combative Trump instead adopted prior “war room” protocols of liberal scrappers like Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, and seems to prefer winning ugly than losing nobly. NeverTrumpers share this repugnance at Trump’s politicking, but not because it might erode Democratic support. They are angrier because it is a style that neither conveys proper coastal conservatism nor reflects good breeding, education, and ZIP-code manners—and it appeals to deplorable voters, whom John McCain once called the “crazies,” and whom the establishment Republicans do not really want in their static party.

@Right_in_Virginia

And there it is.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 12:08:42 pm »
I have absolutely no hesitation in saying I love the guy. I’m not one of those supporters who damn Trump with faint praise. Nope. In my opinion Trump’s the best thing to happen to American political life since I’ve been alive.

There are negative perceptions of Trump, but I’d like to remind folks of why that might be so. It’s something that someone said to Trump after he won election and saw the resistance begin: If you thought they were just gonna hand your government back to you, your crazy.

Bravo.

Long live Trump.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 09:46:22 pm »
Can you name one person (a politician) other than Trump who could have pulled this off? Remember, Trump’s got five more years of hard work ahead of him, and I don’t expect he’ll finish the job, just establish an example of how it’s done.

The bottom line is that taking down the swamp was never going to be clean or polite. Entrenched, corrupt politicians are never gonna willingly give up their goodies. It was always going to be messy.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 10:13:28 pm »

I think they truly fear Trump's policy directions, and that working folks will appreciate the way he fights for their interests.   They recognize the combative way he goes about his business.  But they also try to exploit that combativeness,  and goad him to act impulsively and overreach.  Trump may have many enemies,  but in the ways that will do him the most damage, his worst enemy may be himself.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 11:30:59 pm »
They've never faced this situation before. The way it's supposed to go is:

We exploded spending and ballooned the debt. Go ahead and cut spending to try to control debt - when we get back in that just gives us more ammunition to attack you with, and more room to balloon spending even more.

Go ahead and cut taxes. The first thing we'll do when we get back in is jack them back up.

We slashed military spending so you have no choice but to spend your resources to regain strength. When we get back in we'll just slash it again and spend the extra funds on our giveaways.

If you build the wall, we'll just cut holes in it every 50 feet.

They can handle all that. What they can't handle is that with Clinton they were on the verge of solidifying a radical SCOTUS and federal judiciary for decades to come. Trump has thwarted them so thoroughly that it will take them not just one or two elections but decades to recover.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 11:34:21 pm »

The bottom line is that taking down the swamp was never going to be clean or polite. Entrenched, corrupt politicians are never gonna willingly give up their goodies. 

@aligncare

Why would they when in some cases there are now 3 generations of several different families still dipping their beaks into the federal treasury for no more than just existing and heading up bogus corporations that only exist to launder pay-off money and money funneled away from aid projects. Outright STEALING money is much riskier and not as rewarding. These people have it handed to them by the truck load for doing nothing more than breathing.