Author Topic: How Republicans Won Phase One Of Impeachment.. By Mollie Hemingway  (Read 241 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 How Republicans Won Phase One Of Impeachment

The first phase of impeachment did not go well for Democrats. It needed to be a time when support for the inquiry and impeachment grew. Instead, it shrank.

By Mollie Hemingway
November 22, 2019

With the likely conclusion of Rep. Adam Schiff’s impeachment proceedings, it’s worth taking a step back and looking at how things went for the majority Democrats and minority Republicans on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

Democrats ideally would have started their inquiry with credible bipartisan support and run things in such a way that public opinion developed in their favor. Public opinion would build pressure on Republican members toward an impeachment vote that had even stronger bipartisan credibility.

That did not come even close to happening. To begin with, not only was the vote to begin proceedings not bipartisan, there was bipartisan opposition to it. Polling initially looked promising for impeachment, with media outlets attempting to claim significant bipartisan support for inquiry and removal, but then the polling moved in the wrong direction for Democrats.

Emerson polling showed that support for impeachment flipped since October from 48 percent support with 44 percent opposing to now 45 percent opposed and 43 percent in support. Among key independents, the switch was even more pronounced. In October, 48 percent supported impeaching President Donald Trump, with 39 percent opposed. Now, 49 percent of independents oppose impeachment, while only 34 percent support it.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/22/how-republicans-won-phase-one-of-impeachment/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: How Republicans Won Phase One Of Impeachment.. By Mollie Hemingway
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 04:21:11 pm »
This will become apparent after the media finishes its victory laps and the hangover sets in.  This is why Pelosi is rushing things.  This Sunday's "news" shows will be interesting to watch.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bilo

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 04:39:24 pm »
Still, if media reports are to be believed, it will proceed apace before heading to the Senate where Republicans will control the inquiry on much more favorable ground for Trump. There, they may drag things out to showcase questions about the Biden family’s enrichment during the previous administration, general corruption with countries that have powerful and connected American board members, and other witnesses that Schiff forbade.

They will presumably call the whistleblower to testify about who leaked information to him and which members of Schiff’s committee he worked with before filing his claim. They will almost certainly call Schiff himself to testify about his team’s role in helping the whistleblower set things in motion.

While many in corporate media will attempt to pretend otherwise, the first phase of impeachment did not go well for Democrats. It needed to be their strongest phase. It needed to be a time when support for the inquiry and impeachment grew. Instead, it shrank. Partly that’s due to Democrats’ failed strategy.

But GOP members also played a significant role. They stood strong against both the media and Democrats, showed very little weakness, sent signals early on that they weren’t going to sit back and cower during the proceedings, and generally learned a great deal from the previous few years’ efforts to undo the 2016 election.

My fear, as I suspect a lot of people fear, is the "holier than thou" liberal Pubs won't learn for the House Pubs who elevated themselves by standing strong against this sham.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 05:29:51 pm »
This will become apparent after the media finishes its victory laps and the hangover sets in.  This is why Pelosi is rushing things.  This Sunday's "news" shows will be interesting to watch.

@Cyber Liberty

DAMN! That means I have to spend another Sunday watching that fag Chuck (notice the butch name) Todd on "Meet the Depressed" biting his lip and cheeks again as he is having mini-orgasms when points are scored against the Republicans. I'm not sure how much more of that I can take. I am already to the point where I am having to talk myself out of throwing stuff at my 58 inch plasma tv.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 05:32:06 pm »

My fear, as I suspect a lot of people fear, is the "holier than thou" liberal Pubs won't learn for the House Pubs who elevated themselves by standing strong against this sham.

@bilo

I share  your fear. Senate alleged Republicans seem to see themselves more as "senior members of the most exclusive club in the world" that as Republican Senators.

There does seem to be a few of them fired up about this impeachment attempt,though. Time will tell how much,if any,influence they have over the others.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 05:33:00 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!