Author Topic: Marine pilot survived in sea for nearly 10 hours after deadly midair collision, smartwatch shows  (Read 470 times)

rangerrebew

Marine pilot survived in sea for nearly 10 hours after deadly midair collision, smartwatch shows

Capt. Jahmar Resilard died Dec. 6, 2018, after a collision between a fighter jet and a refueling plane off the coast of Japan.

By SETH ROBSON | STARS AND STRIPES Published: November 15, 2019

YOKOTA AIR BASE, Japan — Smartwatch data suggests a Marine Corps pilot who ejected from his F/A-18 Hornet after colliding with a KC-130J tanker last year off the coast of Japan was alive on the surface of the ocean for nearly 10 hours before he drowned.

The heartrate data is included in a command investigation report on the mishap, which claimed the life of Capt. Jahmar Resilard, 28, along with five Marines in the tanker. The group flew out of Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni near Hiroshima.

Resilard — referred to as “MP2” by investigators — was wearing a Garmin Fenix 3 smartwatch when he ejected from the fighter jet at 1:44 a.m. on Dec. 6, according to the command investigation report released Sept. 26.

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/marine-pilot-survived-in-sea-for-nearly-10-hours-after-deadly-midair-collision-smartwatch-shows-1.607406

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So why not set these watches up with a transmitter which can activate or be activated when they eject to pinpoint their location? (Make it optional as to not alert hostile forces to their location). It would sure make SAR/recovery a lot easier and might save some valuable people.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

So why not set these watches up with a transmitter which can activate or be activated when they eject to pinpoint their location? (Make it optional as to not alert hostile forces to their location). It would sure make SAR/recovery a lot easier and might save some valuable people.

Yeah, that ain't right. too small to hold a viable transmitter.   
But yeah... Something the size of a transistor radio would, and that could certainly be sewn or bolted into their gear.

You know, like them emergency sat links for hunters... 

Online Smokin Joe

Yeah, that ain't right. too small to hold a viable transmitter.   
But yeah... Something the size of a transistor radio would, and that could certainly be sewn or bolted into their gear.

You know, like them emergency sat links for hunters...
Some sort of ELT beacon (If they can get decent batteries or even make it solar) might make a difference.
THose are our guys out there.
As for cost (some pencil necked twit will whine) how much does it cost to train a Marine Pilot?

USAF costs:
The cost of training a basic qualified fighter pilot adds up to an estimated $5.6 million for an F-16 pilot, $10.17 million for an F-35A pilot and $10.9 million for an F-22 pilot. Training costs are also steep for pilots aiming to fly ground attack aircraft and bombers
https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2019/04/09/the-cost-of-training-u-s-air-force-fighter-pilots-infographic/#2703d7cc7973

You can buy a lot of radios, even through the Pentagon, for that kind of money.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Some sort of ELT beacon (If they can get decent batteries or even make it solar) might make a difference.
THose are our guys out there.

Yup. All for it.

As for cost (some pencil necked twit will whine) how much does it cost to train a Marine Pilot?

That ain't no nevermind to me. That boy walkin though the screen door back at home is all I need to know.

Besides, them emergency transmitters for hunters are what, around 100 bucks? A pittance, even at retail. Just the savings in the search make it truly a pittance. How long does 100 bucks keep a C-130 in the air?

Online Smokin Joe

Yup. All for it.

That ain't no nevermind to me. That boy walkin though the screen door back at home is all I need to know.

Besides, them emergency transmitters for hunters are what, around 100 bucks? A pittance, even at retail. Just the savings in the search make it truly a pittance. How long does 100 bucks keep a C-130 in the air?
Not just that. Okay, I get that it has to survive ejection forces, dings and bangs, be water proof, and even at the cost of all that to the Military, even a grand a unit would bee cheap if, as you say, even one walks back through the screen door that might not have done so otherwise.

It could ping via satellite the command to let them know who, and even where, and linked with a smart watch, vital signs, too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:18:01 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

It could ping via satellite the command to let them know who, and even where, and linked with a smart
watch, vital signs, too.

Something.

The ones I know of don't have a lot of room in the transmission. Mainly ID and location (lon/lat within 100ft)... Some of them can do a short txt message to inform on condition. And the transmission is not continuous... I think it will fire one off every 30 mins or something like that to extend functional time frame... 

Still, even in a current, that is enough to plot out a pretty precise grid.

Online Smokin Joe

Something.

The ones I know of don't have a lot of room in the transmission. Mainly ID and location (lon/lat within 100ft)... Some of them can do a short txt message to inform on condition. And the transmission is not continuous... I think it will fire one off every 30 mins or something like that to extend functional time frame... 

Still, even in a current, that is enough to plot out a pretty precise grid.

Pulse/BP/Temp not much data, but enough. If you can narrow down the SAR/recovery to even a half mile square, and have an even intermittent signal to home on or triangulate, odds of success are greatly improved. Successive positions could be plotted to predict current drift as well. Maybe a feature that the device could be pinged when close to send continuously or at a shorter interval.
Make it float, too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:41:59 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis