Author Topic: ‘What can I do?’: Special Forces soldier who fought to save his team in Afghanistan receives Medal o  (Read 186 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
‘What can I do?’: Special Forces soldier who fought to save his team in Afghanistan receives Medal of Honor
“There’s no point in dwelling on how bad the situation really is," Master Sgt. Matthew Williams said.

Dan Lamothe

President Donald Trump places the Medal of Honor on Army Master Sgt. Matthew Williams, currently assigned to the 3rd Special Forces Group, during a Medal of Honor Ceremony in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2019, in Washington. (Alex Brandon)

As day broke over the mountains of eastern Afghanistan, the Special Forces soldiers of Operational Detachment Alpha 3336 leaped from helicopters into a rocky, fast-moving river.

They would spend the next six hours in that snowy and frost-covered valley fighting for their lives.

The unit, split into three groups and teamed with Afghan commandos, came under an avalanche of fire on April 6, 2008, as the first group climbed a mountain during a hunt for a militant leader. A couple of soldiers were shot almost immediately — the opening salvos of what would be a six-hour battle against an estimated 200 enemy fighters.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/10/30/what-can-i-do-special-forces-soldier-who-fought-save-his-team-afghanistan-will-receive-medal-honor/