Author Topic: Impeachers Searching for New Crimes  (Read 117 times)

rangerrebew

Impeachers Searching for New Crimes
« on: October 27, 2019, 03:35:56 pm »
Impeachers Searching for New Crimes

by Alan M. Dershowitz
October 24, 2019 at 5:00 am

The search for the perfect impeachable offense against President Trump is reminiscent of overzealous prosecutors who target the defendant first and then search for the crime with which to charge him. Or to paraphrase the former head of the Soviet secret police to Stalin: show me the man and I will find you the crime.

All civil libertarians should be concerned about an Alice in Wonderland process in which the search for an impeachable crime precedes the evidence that such a crime has actually been committed.

Under our constitutional system of separation of powers, Congress may not compel the Executive Branch to cooperate with an impeachment investigation absent court orders.

Conflicts between the Legislative and Executive Branches are resolved by the Judicial Branch, not by the unilateral dictate of a handful of partisan legislators. It is neither a crime nor an impeachable offense for the president to demand that Congress seek court orders to enforce their demands. Claims of executive and other privileges should be resolved by the Judicial Branch, not by calls for impeachment.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/15069/impeachers-new-crimes

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Impeachers Searching for New Crimes
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 11:27:49 pm »
If I were advising Mr. Trump, I'd suggest that he recruit Mr. Dershowitz to join his legal "impeachment team".

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Impeachers Searching for New Crimes
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:12:27 am »
Searching for new crimes or who can lie under oath that a crime was committed.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington