Author Topic: Boxer Patrick Day dead after going into post-fight coma  (Read 384 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Boxer Patrick Day dead after going into post-fight coma
« on: October 18, 2019, 11:50:27 am »
NY Post by Michael Blinn 10/16/2019

Boxer Patrick Day died Wednesday from injuries suffered in a fight over the weekend, his manager said.

Day was taken out of the ring on a stretcher and rushed to the hospital after being knocked out by Charles Conwell in the 10th round of their Saturday bout in Chicago. The 27-year-old Long Island native went into a coma. It is unclear if the coma was medically induced

Conwell, 21, revealed Tuesday that the outcome of the match has left him devastated and that he considered quitting the sport.

More: https://nypost.com/2019/10/16/boxer-patrick-day-dead-after-going-into-post-fight-coma/

Offline OfTheCross

Re: Boxer Patrick Day dead after going into post-fight coma
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 11:58:15 am »
RIP
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 01:03:53 pm »
As long as pro boxers fight without head gear, these things will happen. Even with head gear it would still be dangerous. It's just the nature of the sport.
In the early 1900s college football players were made to wear helmets after five or six were dying every year from violent collisions.
Any sport, like boxing, where violent blows are directed at someone's head will result in the receiver of those blows taking a risk of bad injury or death.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 01:15:47 pm »
NY Post by Michael Blinn 10/16/2019

Boxer Patrick Day died Wednesday from injuries suffered in a fight over the weekend, his manager said.

Day was taken out of the ring on a stretcher and rushed to the hospital after being knocked out by Charles Conwell in the 10th round of their Saturday bout in Chicago. The 27-year-old Long Island native went into a coma. It is unclear if the coma was medically induced

Conwell, 21, revealed Tuesday that the outcome of the match has left him devastated and that he considered quitting the sport.

More: https://nypost.com/2019/10/16/boxer-patrick-day-dead-after-going-into-post-fight-coma/

There is no getting around it is a dangerous sport,even with the padded gloves they wear. The only thing surprising is that more of them don't die in bouts. Ever seen how hard George Forman hit people? It hurt me to watch it,and I was cheering for him.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 01:51:44 pm »
I love training for boxing, it’s the best fitness regime going (for a guy my age). But, to actually test myself in the ring against someone who is deliberately trying to damage my body? Never.

I’m retired but I treated neck trauma in my professional life as a chiropractor and boxing is crazy dangerous to the arteries in the neck supplying blood to the brain and downright unhealthy for the vulnerable neck joints and check ligaments of the cervical-occipital junction. In other words, you could get your head knocked off in that sport.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 03:03:37 pm »
There is no getting around it is a dangerous sport,even with the padded gloves they wear. The only thing surprising is that more of them don't die in bouts. Ever seen how hard George Forman hit people? It hurt me to watch it,and I was cheering for him.

@sneakypete

I used to watch sports with my late father, but boxing was one sport Dad watched by himself.  The prospect of some boxer getting beaten to death made me cringe. 

Sure, every sport has its dangers.  But most come from some messed up  play -- a really hard tackle in football, for example.  But I think boxing is the only sport where injury and death are just about expected and maybe even encouraged.  To get into a ring to deliberately have your head bashed in  -- I don't consider it macho or gutsy; I think it's downright foolish.  And all for some prize money.  Just so not worth it, in my opinion.

Anyway, may Mr. Day rest in peace.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 03:29:41 pm »
Formula 1 auto racing has mandated a cockpit head protection/restraint system,, following deaths.

Ayrton Senna to name one.

Dale Earnhart may have died from head injuries.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 04:36:02 pm »
@sneakypete

To get into a ring to deliberately have your head bashed in  -- I don't consider it macho or gutsy; I think it's downright foolish.  And all for some prize money.  Just so not worth it, in my opinion.

@Applewood

I candt argue with that. I tried it once,and was maybe 5 years old,and my opponent was a neighbor maybe 12. He was just playing and only landed powder puff punches,but right then I decided for life that my motto was "screw boxing! Some SOB throws a punch at me,I'm going to fight!"
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!