Author Topic: A foot of snow is forecast to bury crops in Great Plains, Canada  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Daily Republic Oct 8th 2019

A large snowfall is set to sweep out of the Rocky Mountains later this week, bringing snow by the foot across the Dakotas, slowing wheat harvests and ending any chance for still-maturing corn crops to flourish.

A foot (30 centimeters) or more will fall from southwestern South Dakota across central North Dakota Thursday into Friday, said Don Keeney, a meteorologist with Maxar in Gaithersburg, Maryland. The storm will eventually push into southern Manitoba in Canada, where it could affect canola harvests.

"It will be a miserable day on Friday," Keeney said. "A lot of the corn crop still hasn't matured in the Dakotas so that is going to be the end of that." Wheat harvests across the northern Plains and southern Prairies will also be affected, he said.

The storm follows a September squall that dropped as much as four feet of snow across northern Montana, spurring Gov. Steve Bullock to declare an emergency for areas hit by the blizzard. Southern Canada saw close to a foot. That storm halted wheat, canola, durum and lentil harvesting, farmers said.

More: https://www.mitchellrepublic.com/business/agriculture/4712076-A-foot-of-snow-is-forecast-to-bury-crops-in-Great-Plains-Canada

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: A foot of snow is forecast to bury crops in Great Plains, Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 12:50:40 pm »
They are forecasting our first snow of the year tomorrow. Just a couple of inches...but it looks like our two weeks of fall are over LOL
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 01:10:16 pm »
Here in the Florida of Iowa we are predicted to get down to 32F. In other words, it could snow if there is lingering precipitation from the storm that's moving thru.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 05:46:45 pm »
They are forecasting our first snow of the year tomorrow. Just a couple of inches...but it looks like our two weeks of fall are over LOL
Yeah, most of the trees are still green, here, with all the rain we've had. Snow on the ground.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 06:11:49 pm »
It's supposed to go from 82 degrees, down to 26, in Denver, over the next 12 hours.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 06:17:08 pm »
It's supposed to go from 82 degrees, down to 26, in Denver, over the next 12 hours.
Was 70 here yesterday, 30 (above) today.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 09:44:55 pm »

Just got the notifications on my phone about the freeze warning from tonight through 6pm tomorrow.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 10:01:42 pm »

Have they got the harvest put up? This is bad... I hear there is still a lot of corn in the field... Everyone planted late because of the rain.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 12:05:56 am »
https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/agriculture/100919-unfavorable-weather-likely-to-lower-us-corn-production-delay-harvest

PRODUCTION AND YIELD

Too much rain in the north and dry conditions in the Mississippi Delta and Southeast, coupled by a late planting season, have created widely variable yields and quality problems, said Terry Reilly, senior commodity analyst with Futures International.

The US corn production is expected to be 13.79 billion bushels (350.5 million mt) for September 2019-August 2020, with yields at 168.2 bushels/acre, the US Department of Agriculture estimated in its September World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates report.

INTL FCStone's Chief Commodities Economist Arlan Suderman said that a worst-case scenario could see more than 750 million bushels of corn directly lost, along with significant quality problems, depending on the eventual path, intensity and duration of the cold air.

For the upcoming WASDE report, the average analyst estimate for US corn production is at 13.59 billion bushels, with estimated yield at 166.7 bu/acre.

DELAY IN HARVEST

"We seem to be in for a fairly long, slow harvest," said Horstmeier from DTN.

Too much rain fell across the upper Midwest over the last week preventing producers from harvesting their crops, the analysts said.

According to Crop Progress data released by the USDA on Monday, corn harvest in the US has reached 15% as of Sunday, against the five-year average of 27%.

Some corn growers are also harvesting early as wet weather increases the risk of poor stalk condition, which leads to plants lodging and being hard to harvest, said analysts.

Growers are harvesting early even though grain is still high in moisture and are drying the grain before storage. Very little corn is being harvested at 15% or below moisture, which is ideal, Horstmeier said.

"If damp weather continues I think we'll see corn harvest go into November certainly, possible into early December," he added.

More at link.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 12:37:45 am »
after it drops another 30 degrees, seems a good time for the envirowackos to once again to come up there to protest yet once again.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 07:10:52 am »
Have they got the harvest put up? This is bad... I hear there is still a lot of corn in the field... Everyone planted late because of the rain.
Not all, by any means. Wheat commission stats

I have a friend who drives haul trucks for the Sugar Beet harvest over near Fairview (ND/MT border) and they've been delayed because of weather. That puts them behind by some 10-15%, over a week into the normal harvest (prepiling) season.

Rain has continued to delay harvests, and now, snow.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 07:14:36 am »
Not all, by any means. Wheat commission stats

I have a friend who drives haul trucks for the Sugar Beet harvest over near Fairview (ND/MT border) and they've been delayed because of weather. That puts them behind by some 10-15%, over a week into the normal harvest (prepiling) season.

Rain has continued to delay harvests, and now, snow.

That is mighty bad news. bread and beef are gonna go up. :(

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 07:21:11 am »
That is mighty bad news. bread and beef are gonna go up. :(
You likely don't eat it, but pork is highly likely to go up, especially bacon and ham. China is having trouble with a pig killing disease over there, and remain a big market for US Pork, despite cuties and tariffs.

We'll see how the rest of the harvest goes, frozen ground might be a boon for those still harvesting grain, but sugar beet producers likely would suffer.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:22:37 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 11:15:11 am »
And we got zilch for snow overnight

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 12:45:34 pm »
Looks like the worst of it may be in Montana and the Dakotas.

Around 2 feet of snow was reported in Pony, Montana and an observer just southwest of Helena, Montana, reported 18 inches of snow through mid-afternoon Wednesday. In south-central Montana, an observer at Lockwood reported 10 inches through Wednesday morning.

As of early Thursday, downtown Rapid City, South Dakota, measured just under 2 inches of snow.

https://weather.com/forecast/national/news/2019-10-06-first-snow-of-season-rockies-plains-early-to-mid-october-forecast
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 04:10:50 pm »
Looks like the worst of it may be in Montana and the Dakotas.

Around 2 feet of snow was reported in Pony, Montana and an observer just southwest of Helena, Montana, reported 18 inches of snow through mid-afternoon Wednesday. In south-central Montana, an observer at Lockwood reported 10 inches through Wednesday morning.

As of early Thursday, downtown Rapid City, South Dakota, measured just under 2 inches of snow.

https://weather.com/forecast/national/news/2019-10-06-first-snow-of-season-rockies-plains-early-to-mid-october-forecast
Not much here in NW ND, an inch or two so far.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 04:16:08 pm »
Snow finally started here about 30 minutes ago.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 04:33:49 pm »
I was just watching some video shot in Billings, Montana.  Good Grief!

It's that dang global warming again!   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 07:29:10 pm »
Snow finally started here about 30 minutes ago.
Where is here?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 07:31:32 pm »
Where is here?

@goatprairie my bad I apologize. 

Here = Ft. Carson/Colorado Springs

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 07:40:38 pm »
I live in western Wisconsin. They're forecasting the possibility of a little snow tomorrow. Hopefully, it won't be anything like I saw from what they got in Montana.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 07:49:50 pm »
@goatprairie my bad I apologize. 

Here = Ft. Carson/Colorado Springs
I remember visiting the general area, Fort Collins, with the the wife a few years ago. It was late September, and the wife and I decided to go to Rocky Mountain National Park.
Just as we started entering the park, snow began to fall. I've already had a very bad experience in the mountains when it began to snow (and snow, and snow, and snow), so I turned around and headed back down to Fort Collins.
I was wondering who gets more snow on average.....down at the lower elevations or places like Estes Park? I'm guessing Estes Park must get more snow.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 07:53:51 pm »
Estes Park and the Higher elevations for sure.  To me Colorado Springs sits too close to the mountains to get the biggest effects from the snow...but you start heading a little farther east of us towards Falcon and Ellicot they tend to get much more snow than we do as well.