Author Topic: We Have Now Entered the Twilight Zone  (Read 3502 times)

Offline OfTheCross

We Have Now Entered the Twilight Zone
« on: September 24, 2019, 02:12:55 pm »
This is an almost unimaginable breach of his duties as president: trading our taxpayer dollars for political dirt on his opponents, and conditioning critical US foreign policy decisions on a foreign government's help in his campaign for re-election. This is not just a presidential candidate publicly asking for help from a foreign government ("Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing"), as terrible as that was. This is the President of the United States using the power that We, the People have placed in his hands for his personal benefit.

The "anti-corruption" defense is truly laughable, and anyone who thinks that Trump's true concern here is with rooting out corruption in Ukraine is being taken for a ride; he cares as much about corruption in Ukraine as he does about corruption in Russia, in Saudi Arabia, in the Philippines, or in North Korea, viz. not a whit.

Where are the Republicans who will stand up to him on this? Trump famously—and grotesquely—boasted during the campaign that he could gun someone down on Fifth Avenue in broad daylight and not lose any voters; I did not think that he was including members of the House and Senate in this appraisal. The Republicans hold the key here if we are to avoid turning a genuine national crisis into a partisan shitshow.  I have to believe that there are still some Republican office-holders who will finally say: This is over the line. And I have to believe that there are some Republican senators who will, should it come to an impeachment trial, actually listen to the evidence and cast their vote accordingly.

reason
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: We Have Now Entered the Twilight Zone
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 02:06:55 am »
Alas, we've been in the Twilight Zone from the moment we realised that the 2016 presidential election was going to pit an unscrupulous crank against an unscrupulous crook. And no matter who won the race, it was going to be three things---further big government, further degradation of the nation's political culture, and a lot of goddam nonsense.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 02:13:21 am »
So let the people decide.   This isn't "oversight", this is a coup.  It is time for a rising.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:25:24 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 02:27:09 am »
So let the people decide.   May those who disagree, and insist instead on a coup, be damned to hell.
Setting President Tweety entirely to one side for the moment, impeachment is not a "coup." It may be motivated by partisanship (reference Andrew Johnson) but it is a duly, constitutionally authorised process otherwise. The "coup" argument didn't work when Droopy-Drawers Clinton was impeached. (The Senate let him off the hook, but never mind for now.) And the "coup" argument was beaten to death and back then, too. The "coup" argument was one we swatted to one side when the stirrings about it stirred regarding His Excellency Al-Hashish Field Marshmallow Dr. Barack Obama Dada, and there were enough on the right as anxious to find some reason, any reason to get him impeached for almost as long as today's left have been hunting some reason, any reason to get President Tweety impeached.

And one of the prime problems has been that such presidents do a splendid enough job of behaving suspiciously enough to stir the pot regardless.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:28:24 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 02:39:40 am »
Setting President Tweety entirely to one side for the moment, impeachment is not a "coup." It may be motivated by partisanship (reference Andrew Johnson) but it is a duly, constitutionally authorised process otherwise. The "coup" argument didn't work when Droopy-Drawers Clinton was impeached. (The Senate let him off the hook, but never mind for now.) And the "coup" argument was beaten to death and back then, too. The "coup" argument was one we swatted to one side when the stirrings about it stirred regarding His Excellency Al-Hashish Field Marshmallow Dr. Barack Obama Dada, and there were enough on the right as anxious to find some reason, any reason to get him impeached for almost as long as today's left have been hunting some reason, any reason to get President Tweety impeached.

And one of the prime problems has been that such presidents do a splendid enough job of behaving suspiciously enough to stir the pot regardless.

Meh, I think "coup" might be a little over the top, but heading into the last year of his term the argument can be made the people deserve to decide via the electoral process, if only for the reason it's a wast of money kicking trump out so we can have a few months of Pence.

I like how Al Green, Democrat Representative put it:  We have to Impeach Trump or he will win the election in 2020.  They'd be impeaching him all the way until 1/20/2021, and failing that for the next four years.  I don't think that would be good for the country, do you?  I know you don't like him at all, but do you want to get rid of him that badly?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 02:48:04 am »
They'd be impeaching him all the way until 1/20/2021, and failing that for the next four years.  I don't think that would be good for the country, do you?
Those who support presidents under a threat of impeachment have always argued it "wouldn't be good for the country" to impeach him regardless of precisely when such proceedings might or might not begin. By its very definition impeachment isn't a good thing, for either country or the subject of impeachment himself. Nobody (well, nobody with two genuine brain cells to rub together) really wants impeachment even in the case of an unpopular president, even in the case of a president who has committed impeachable acts. Call it a constitutional grant of a necessary evil if you must.

We shouldn't ever think of impeaching a president just because we don't like him. But if there's a prospect of his having committed impeachable acts, damn the timing or un-timing, let's find out once and for all and take it from there, however unpleasant. With apologies to Bob Dylan, even the president of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked.

I know you don't like him at all, but do you want to get rid of him that badly?
I haven't said a word about whether I myself want President Tweety impeached.

But whether I like a president has (and should have) absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether he has committed acts that make him impeachable. If indeed he has behaved impeachably, let it be so. If he hasn't, let it not be so.

It's that simple.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:51:42 am by EasyAce »

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 02:53:29 am »
So let the people decide.   This isn't "oversight", this is a coup.  It is time for a rising.

The people did decide. They made the Dems the majority in the House in 2018. Those voters knew impeachment could be on the table at some point and most probably want it.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 03:01:36 am »
The people did decide. They made the Dems the majority in the House in 2018. Those voters knew impeachment could be on the table at some point and most probably want it.

You have a point, considering too many voters are ignorant and think we have a UK-style Parliamentarian system where a President can be removed by a vote of no-confidence.  The opposite Party having a majority of House seats is not a reason to expect automatic Impeachment.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 03:11:42 am »
@EasyAce 

Just asking.  It was beginning to look like you were actually looking forward to rid us of the Mean Orange Baboon by any means necessary.  Sorry, just an opinion from this loudmouth at the end of the bar.   :shrug:

I am not moved by the "Every President says Impeachment would be 'bad for the country'" argument.  Doing so without proving sufficient grounds really is bad for the country.  Impeaching Clinton on the weak premise he lied about Monica Lewinski to Paula Jones wasn't good for us either, because he skated on serious crimes like giving missile technology to the Chinese in exchange for campaign cash.  I'd like to see a reason proven to Impeach Trump, otherwise it's just like when everybody was jumping on Roy Moore because he was accused of something without proof.  Tweets that irritate people doesn't seem like reason enough. 

I dunno.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 03:41:19 am »
Impeaching Clinton on the weak premise he lied about Monica Lewinski to Paula Jones wasn't good for us either, because he skated on serious crimes like giving missile technology to the Chinese in exchange for campaign cash.
If all he'd done was lie about it, it would have made him a mere liar. (If merely lying publicly, outside a courtroom, were impeachable, you probably couldn't name a single president since the Civil War who'd be unimpeachable. Well, maybe Calvin Coolidge.)

But he was testifying in a duly convened legal proceeding. And was found to have committed perjury, suborned perjury, and obstructed justice in the case at hand.

And Droopy-Drawers Clinton wasn't the only president who skated on serious crimes or constitutional violations.

And if it should come forth that President Tweety did commit a genuinely impeachable offense (abuse of power, anyone, which may [underline "may," gang] well be what's in play here), knowing that enough of his predecessors committed offenses we might well consider to have been impeachable, the question also becomes, At long enough last, when do we finally say no?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:42:24 am by EasyAce »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 03:49:55 am »
Golly gee. Think of how very comfortable you "true conservatives," would have been with one of your low risk established, designated losers?

--GHW Bush
--Bob Dole
--John McCain
--Mitt Romney

--your pick from the other losers running in 2016

When Newt Gingrich led the GOP House majority takover in 1996, it replaced democrat majorities for 40 years.

Paul Ryan really belongs with the big losers above, as a probably Coup d' etat member

Even with the dems, the media and Rino republicans against him, Trump has done more conservative good, than everybody perhaps including "Amnesty-Reagan" 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 03:52:59 am »
If all he'd done was lie about it, it would have made him a mere liar. (If merely lying publicly, outside a courtroom, were impeachable, you probably couldn't name a single president since the Civil War who'd be unimpeachable. Well, maybe Calvin Coolidge.)

But he was testifying in a duly convened legal proceeding. And was found to have committed perjury, suborned perjury, and obstructed justice in the case at hand.

And Droopy-Drawers Clinton wasn't the only president who skated on serious crimes or constitutional violations.

And if it should come forth that President Tweety did commit a genuinely impeachable offense (abuse of power, anyone, which may well be what's in play here), knowing that enough of his predecessors committed offenses we might well consider to have been impeachable, the question also becomes, At long enough last, when do we finally say no?

I can't argue with that, because it's the way it should be.  My criticism of the Droopy Drawers impeachment was not that it wasn't a crime, it's that it wasn't a crime everybody could agree was serious enough.  Acting as a spy for China would have been much more likely to succeed, but John Glenn accepted the bribe of a ride in a space Shuttle and voted against investigating the Loral thing.

When do we say "no?"  When it's a real crime, not just when somebody is an irritating chap.  I am certainly open to evidence that implicates high criminal behavior, but I don't see it yet.  If it's not there, and Democrats are getting away with using allegations as a substitute for proof, then I will defend the fellow who Tweets. 

(I don't think I ever said Clinton was an innocent man, BTW.  If I gave that impression I apologize for my poor use of the language.)
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 04:35:45 am »
Alas, we've been in the Twilight Zone from the moment we realised that the 2016 presidential election was going to pit an unscrupulous crank against an unscrupulous crook. And no matter who won the race, it was going to be three things---further big government, further degradation of the nation's political culture, and a lot of goddam nonsense.

That's right.
 :beer:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 04:38:37 am »
That's right.
 :beer:

Rome burns while Nero fiddles. 9999hair out0000
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 07:42:21 am »
Rome burns while Nero fiddles. 9999hair out0000

And people weep for joy at the arrangement of the deck chairs.
And the band plays on.

**nononono*

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 04:21:44 pm »

Those were local races of 1/2 of the House positions.  Not exactly a consensus.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:42:31 pm by Sanguine »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 04:38:32 pm »
The only thing wrong with this article is that it is based on the LIE that Trump tried to extort the Ukraine into digging up dirt on Joe Biden.
That has been proven to not be true.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 04:40:21 pm »
And now we have seen that President Trump did not offer taxpayer dollars for anything, did not ask for political dirt on anyone, did not arm-twist Ukraine for anything, and did not pressure Ukraine for anything.

And are in a Twilight Zone in which Trump faces possible impeachment for things he did not do.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2019, 04:43:11 pm »
And now we have seen that President Trump did not offer taxpayer dollars for anything, did not ask for political dirt on anyone, did not arm-twist Ukraine for anything, and did not pressure Ukraine for anything.

And are in a Twilight Zone in which Trump faces possible impeachment for things he did not do.

And, by democrats who did do what they want to impeach Trump for doing.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2019, 05:02:08 pm »

@EasyAce

Blah-blah-blah!

My arm hair stands up when you're describing anything baseball.   

Start in on Pres. Trump and my eyes glaze over.   Stick to what you know.     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 05:13:23 pm »

Bullshit! 

All thru the campaign, the media did their damnedest to create more @musiclady 's and @roamer_1 's, et al.

And don't tell us all of them voted....still taking the time to stand in line, etc., to vote 'down ticket'.   

They stayed home.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2019, 05:26:37 pm »
And, by democrats who did do what they want to impeach Trump for doing.

But.... that's different cause... they're so special.

Still waiting on Barr to prove that there is equal treatment under the law still in this country....

vs. the two-tier justice system we've been experiencing and observing.   Not holding my breath.
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2019, 05:30:28 pm »
But.... that's different cause... they're so special.

Still waiting on Barr to prove that there is equal treatment under the law still in this country....

vs. the two-tier justice system we've been experiencing and observing.   Not holding my breath.

Amen, sister!

I keep 'hearing' Hillary:  "If I go down, ....Washington is going down with me!"

She has ALL the dirt and secrets of everybody in government since Bubba became POTUS.   (files)

There must be some truth to it.

Online DB

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2019, 05:34:38 pm »
All this flinging of crap is likely due to Barr's claim of digging into places the Dems don't want him to go. They have to delegitimize him before he gets too far into it all. His time is running out fast.

That is...

If Barr is actually doing what he said he was going to do...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2019, 05:36:02 pm »
Bullshit! 

All thru the campaign, the media did their damnedest to create more @musiclady 's and @roamer_1 's, et al.

And don't tell us all of them voted....still taking the time to stand in line, etc., to vote 'down ticket'.   

They stayed home.

I didn't stay home.  I voted for a Conservative candidate for President and voted down ticket all the way.

Not voting for Trump does not equate with lack of Patriotism or presence of lethargy, @DCPatriot .

It would behoove you to stop making that accusation.

(And please don't ping me to your false accusations.  If you have something legitimate to discuss, I welcome it.  But dopey insults, not so very much).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.