Author Topic: Donald Trump is in serious danger of losing in 2020 (Klein)  (Read 269 times)

Offline corbe

Donald Trump is in serious danger of losing in 2020 (Klein)
« on: September 11, 2019, 09:29:14 pm »
Donald Trump is in serious danger of losing in 2020

by Philip Klein

September 11, 2019 04:29 PM

Having been burned the last time around, pundits may be wary of saying so, but the truth is President Trump is in serious danger of losing his reelection bid in 2020.

Of course, there’s reason to be cautious with any predictions. The election is more than a year from now, we have no idea who the Democratic nominee will be, previous incumbents have struggled with popularity in their third year only to be reelected the following fall, and Trump won in 2016 despite pooling poorly.

All of that said, there are a number of factors that should be worrisome to Trump and his Republican supporters.

To start, it’s worth remembering just how close Trump came to losing in 2016. Despite the appearance of a relatively comfortable Electoral College margin, Trump won because he edged out Hillary Clinton in three states (Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan) by less than a point. Effectively, 80,000 additional votes in those states would have swung the election to Clinton. The Democratic nominee does not need to do dramatically better than Clinton in order to win, but only to marginally improve over Clinton’s performance in these battlegrounds.

Both nationally and at the individual state level Trump is extremely unpopular, with just a 39% approval rating in the most recent Gallup poll.

It’s true that at the equivalent time during their presidencies, Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan weren’t polling much better — at 40% and 43%, respectively. Both comfortably won reelection, Reagan doing so by a historic landslide.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/donald-trump-is-in-serious-danger-of-losing-in-2020
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Donald Trump is in serious danger of losing in 2020 (Klein)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 09:44:32 pm »
I agree, it's sad, one of the best presidents policywise of my lifetime, achievements too, perhaps his behavior makes him a target.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 02:26:13 am »
I agree, it's sad, one of the best presidents policywise of my lifetime, achievements too, perhaps his behavior makes him a target.
---------------------------------
His behavior?????
Behavior is the way one conducts oneself toward others.
Trump's daily antics and capers are the stuff of the
unhinged and hardly any behavioral norm.
His Mother knew this when he was 10 years old!!!!!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 05:05:56 am »
Trump will win by a landslide.  Not quite as big as Reagan's 2nd term, but a huge win.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 07:50:36 am »
---------------------------------
His behavior?????
Behavior is the way one conducts oneself toward others.
Trump's daily antics and capers are the stuff of the
unhinged and hardly any behavioral norm.
His Mother knew this when he was 10 years old!!!!!

It is comical watching Trump enablers trying to understate just how deranged his daily lunacy is. If it was an elderly relative of theirs committing the exact same behaviors they would have long ago intervened.

"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 08:07:53 am »

Of course, Trump has valid policy points.
So why aren't you clamoring for someone who isn't so repulsive to such a large slice of the electorate to take the reins? Trump could save face, and possibly the country, right now by saying, "I've shown the Republicans how to win, brought to light the issues that are important to the American people, and now I'm handing the mantle off to someone else, so I can enjoy my family, my wealth, my young son, etc," and he could retire from politics undefeated.

If it wasn't for the immunity that his office holds, I wonder if he would be tempted to do just that.

"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021