Author Topic: Trump cancels secret meeting with Taliban leaders, Afghan president after attack[updated]  (Read 1773 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump cancels secret meeting with Taliban leaders, Afghan president after attack
By John Bowden - 09/07/19 07:10 PM EDT

President Trump announced Saturday he had canceled a planned secret meeting with leaders of the Taliban and Afghanistan's president at Camp David after Taliban leadership claimed credit for a deadly attack in Kabul.

In a series of tweets, the president condemned Taliban commanders for an attack in the Afghan capital that killed 11 civilians and a U.S. service member and questioned whether the leaders of the terrorist group had control over its own members.

"Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday. They were coming to the United States tonight. Unfortunately, in order to build false leverage, they admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great great soldiers, and 11 other people," Trump tweeted.

"I immediately cancelled the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?" he asked.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/460396-trump-cancels-secret-meeting-with-taliban-leaders-afghan-president
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:48:24 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I'm glad that's not my decision but I go along with it.

It'll be a tough road to hoe.

Offline TomSea

Oh, this is about a secret meeting cancelled?

Folks, the whole peace deal is cancelled per the BBC.

So, is what the Beeb saying so?? They've been wrong, they've been wrong in the past 3 weeks.

"Afghanistan War: Trump cancels peace deal with Taliban"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49624132

That's what I was referring to....

It does look like the BBC (the Beeb) report is in error, doesn't it??   Could auntie Beeb be correct?

Taliban sure pull some %##$ to be negotiating with them.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 12:23:46 am by TomSea »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I'm with the NO PEACE TREATY crowd....bomb them back to the stone ages...oh wait..they are already there.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Cancel a meeting?  Shoot their #$&*#(@ plane down.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cancel a meeting?  Shoot their #$&*#(@ plane down.

I like how you think...
Support the USO

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Oh, this is about a secret meeting cancelled?

Folks, the whole peace deal is cancelled per the BBC. 

It's also cancelled per the President's tweet quoted in the article posted above to start the thread @TomSea

"I immediately cancelled the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?" he asked.

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday. They were coming to the United States tonight. Unfortunately, in order to build false leverage, they admitted to..

....an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great great soldiers, and 11 other people. I immediately cancelled the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position? They didn’t, they....

....only made it worse! If they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don’t have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway. How many more decades are they willing to fight?

3:51 PM - 7 Sep 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1170469621348098049

Carpet bomb the whole territory with bunker busters on the way out. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:35:55 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline TomSea

Thank you kindly @Right_in_Virginia

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Trump Says Secret Meeting With Taliban, Afghan Leaders in U.S. on Sunday Cancelled
news 1 hour ago
Newsweek

President Donald Trump tweeted Saturday evening that he previously had a secretly-planned meeting Sunday with leaders from both the Taliban and Afghanistan at Camp David, but they have ultimately been cancelled.
The president said the Taliban leaders were to arrive in the United States on Saturday night, but "in order to build false leverage," they admitted to an attack that killed one American soldier and 11 others in Kabul.

"Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday. They were coming to the United States tonight," the president wrote. "Unfortunately, in order to build false leverage, they admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great great soldiers, and 11 other people. I immediately cancelled the meeting and called off peace negotiations."

https://start.att.net/news/read/category/news/article/newsweek-trump_says_secret_meeting_in_us_with_taliban_afgha-rnewsweek

A couple months ago Trump wanted to pay for their expenses to attend peace talks.  They were still attacking targets in Afghanistan then, and they are still.  My question is how Trump ever thought that they wanted peace?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
He can't blame the media for this one.

I can't, at any angle, figure out how the idea of negotiating with a terrorist organization that conspired with al-Qaeda to commit 9/11 and other heinous atrocities would EVER be on the table... even if I were sympathetic to Trump before, there's NO way I could be now. I remember 9/11. This is not OK.

Maybe the usual suspects can come up with an excuse, but they always do. Not me.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

@jmyrlefuller

Trump's foreign policy has consisted of making nice to the US' enemies while bad mouthing our allies.  Obama was chummy with terrorist countries in the Middle East.  Trump has continued the practice and made it worse.  But according to Trump supporters, this is ok because it's Trump.

Offline TomSea

I can't, at any angle, figure out how the idea of negotiating with a terrorist organization that conspired with al-Qaeda to commit 9/11 and other heinous atrocities would EVER be on the table... even if I were sympathetic to Trump before, there's NO way I could be now. I remember 9/11. This is not OK.

Maybe the usual suspects can come up with an excuse, but they always do. Not me.

EZ, Taliban is not a designated terror group, they should be but they aren't. If they are, then we can't negotiate with them.

https://www.voanews.com/usa/why-isnt-afghan-taliban-us-list-foreign-terror-groups

There might be more than one Taliban, Taliban-Afghanistan, Taliban-Pakistan.  But who we negotiated with, for some reason and it must go back a few years, are not designated.

@jmyrlefuller

Offline TomSea

@jmyrlefuller

Trump's foreign policy has consisted of making nice to the US' enemies while bad mouthing our allies.  Obama was chummy with terrorist countries in the Middle East.  Trump has continued the practice and made it worse.  But according to Trump supporters, this is ok because it's Trump.

Obama negotiated with Taliban-Afghanistan as well.

They are not a designated terror group.

What does one want? More American and NATO soldiers killed?

Or should they at least, try for a peace agreement?

I know, some want the US to totally withdraw and there might be a bloodbath there as there was in Iraq.

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday. They were coming to the United States tonight. Unfortunately, in order to build false leverage, they admitted to..

....an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great great soldiers, and 11 other people. I immediately cancelled the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position? They didn’t, they....

....only made it worse! If they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don’t have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway. How many more decades are they willing to fight?

3:51 PM - 7 Sep 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1170469621348098049

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
One needs to consider the roles of India, Pakistan, and yes, China, in all of this to appreciate the overall dynamics (not only in the foreign policy realm, but also domestically...).  Absent that, pot shot style criticism just displays a shallowness of understanding.

To pave a way out of an 18 year long war we cannot win? 

Whatever the reason, it's moot.  The negotiations have ended.  Now our options are to carpet bomb the territory on the way out or leave peacefully.  But we must get out.  18 years of American blood and treasure is more than enough.  I'm at the point where  Afghanies can live in a Muslim utopia under the Taliban or *they* can die trying to change it.

We need to be done with this bullshit.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
threads merged
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Amash blasts Trump for inviting Taliban leaders to Camp David week of 9/11
By Justin Wise - 09/08/19 11:43 AM EDT

Rep. Justin Amash (I-Mich.) on Sunday denounced President Trump for inviting Taliban leaders to Camp David for peace talks just days before the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"How about we end the war without inviting the Taliban to dinner on the week of 9/11?" Amash, an Independent who left the GOP earlier this year, said on Twitter after Trump announced that he'd canceled secret meetings with leaders of the Taliban and Afghanistan's president.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/460428-amash-blasts-trump-for-inviting-taliban-leaders-to-camp-david-week-of-9-11
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sometimes I wonder if this Admin has any common sense..don't they realize the optics of this????

stupid!
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Taliban says US lives will be lost because of Trump's decision to cancel meeting
By Justin Wise - 09/08/19 12:40 PM EDT

The Taliban on Sunday claimed that the U.S. would suffer more "losses" because of President Trump's abrupt decision to cancel peace talks at Camp David with the insurgent group.

“Both sides (U.S., Taliban) were busy with preparation for the announcement and signing the peace deal, but now the U.S president called off the peace dialogue... this will lead to more losses to the U.S.,” Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, said in a statement, according to Reuters.

The statement was released just hours after Trump disclosed that he was planning to separately meet with Taliban leadership and the Afghanistan president this weekend amid ongoing peace talks.

Trump stated that he canceled the meeting after learning that the Taliban had claimed responsibility for a deadly attack in Kabul that killed one American soldier and 11 others.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/460434-taliban-says-us-lives-will-be-lose-because-of-trumps-decision-to
Support the USO

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
To pave a way out of an 18 year long war we cannot win? 

Whatever the reason, it's moot.  The negotiations have ended.  Now our options are to carpet bomb the territory on the way out or leave peacefully.  But we must get out.  18 years of American blood and treasure is more than enough.  I'm at the point where  Afghanies can live in a Muslim utopia under the Taliban or *they* can die trying to change it.

We need to be done with this bullshit.
Sure as Shinola, the usual suspect came up with one. *****rollingeyes*****

Nope. Smuggling the Taliban into the country under the guise of diplomacy? This is the stuff that conspiracy theorists DREAM of. If, of course, they weren't already in Trump's back pocket.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
One needs to consider the roles of India, Pakistan, and yes, China, in all of this to appreciate the overall dynamics (not only in the foreign policy realm, but also domestically...).  Absent that, pot shot style criticism just displays a shallowness of understanding.

I call it "knee jerk".  Trump is going to do something -> knee jerk -> it must be bad/wrong/stupid/etc.