Author Topic: US attorney says government will seek federal charges against Kate Steinle's killer  (Read 808 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

US attorney says government will seek federal charges against Kate Steinle's killer
Fox News, Sep 4, 2019

Following the overturned state firearm conviction of illegal immigrant Jose Inez Garcia-Zarate, U.S. Attorney David Anderson said Wednesday the federal government plans to proceed with federal gun charges in the case of Kate Steinle, during an interview on "Fox & Friends."

Zarate, who was previously deported five times, was charged by the state of California with the murder of Steinle in 2015 and was acquitted on charges of first-degree murder, second-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, and assault with a semi-automatic weapon. He was, however, convicted of felony possession of a firearm, and has maintained the stolen gun he used had discharged in his hands accidentally.

That gun conviction was overturned by a California state appeals court last week, causing the federal government to exercise its option to seek a federal indictment.

"The case is set for trial in our federal courthouse in San Francisco in January of 2020," Anderson told Fox News on Wednesday. "The case is now proceeding through the pretrial proceedings towards that trial date."

"In the federal court we've brought this case on the basis of a statute passed by Congress many years ago that prohibits certain categories of people from possessing any firearms," he added. "If you’re someone who has no lawful status in the United States -- if you’re here without any right to be here, you cannot possess a firearm."

More:  https://www.foxnews.com/media/kate-steinle-illegal-immigrant-murder

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
The article doesn't say where the scum currently resides. Is he in jail or roaming free in his sanctuary city?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Where is this person right now?  Is he in custody?  Or, wandering around the streets of San Francisco, free as a bird.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Here's what I could find @austingirl @Sanguine

Sep 3, 2019

“The state-court ruling has no legal effect on the federal prosecution, which will continue,” stated United States Attorney David Anderson.  “A repeatedly deported, previously convicted felon has no right to possess a firearm under federal law, even if California extends him sanctuary.”

An indictment merely alleges that a crime has been committed and Garcia-Zarate, like all defendants, is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  Garcia-Zarate currently is in federal custody awaiting trial on these charges.

More:  https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndca/pr/jose-inez-garcia-zarate-remains-under-federal-firearm-charges-northern-district

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Good!  Thanks, @Right_in_Virginia, I'm very glad to know that. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
A California court may have let Kate Steinle’s killer off the hook, but the DOJ doesn’t plan to
Nate Madden · September 4, 2019 

Despite being acquitted of his lone criminal conviction for the death of Kate Steinle in San Francisco, the illegal immigrant who shot her is still facing heat on federal charges, the Justice Department says.

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/california-court-may-let-kate-steinles-killer-off-hook-doj-doesnt-plan/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 03:38:27 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Much appreciated, @Right_in_Virginia!  I was not wanting to hear that little Schitt is walking free among us.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

rangerrebew

Published 17 hours ago
US attorney says government will seek federal charges against Kate Steinle's killer
By Nick Givas | Fox News

After illegal immigrant's conviction was overturned, U.S. Attorney previews federal government's response

Following the overturned state firearm conviction of illegal immigrant Jose Inez Garcia-Zarate, U.S. Attorney David Anderson said Wednesday the federal government plans to proceed with federal gun charges in the case of Kate Steinle, during an interview on "Fox & Friends."

Zarate, who was previously deported five times, was charged by the state of California with the murder of Steinle in 2015 and was acquitted on charges of first-degree murder, second-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, and assault with a semi-automatic weapon. He was, however, convicted of felony possession of a firearm, and has maintained the stolen gun he used had discharged in his hands accidentally.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/kate-steinle-illegal-immigrant-murder

rangerrebew

I'd be very surprised if a jury of honest people can be found in San Fransicko.  I think it is likely he will walk from the federal trial as from the state because jury pools are way too far left to convict an illegal imigrant. :pondering:

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline PeteS in CA

Howzabout booting him back to whatever country he came from?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

We've already done that.  FIVE times!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Justice is non existent in the USA.  One after another person is walking from felonies.  This maggot should NEVER walk free.

Offline MOD4

Topics merged.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Ranger wrote:
"I'd be very surprised if a jury of honest people can be found in San Fransicko.  I think it is likely he will walk from the federal trial as from the state because jury pools are way too far left to convict an illegal immigrant..."

I predicted exactly this 24 years ago in a posting to the old America Online "Issues" forums, before I was able to get access to the internet.

The post was called "The coming cultural white flight" and here's the relevant excerpt:
======
The Multiculture v. the UNIculture - feeling left out...

There's a good reason why a UNIcultural (mainly white) jury in Simi Valley thought it "reasonable" to aquit the police officers involved in the Rodney King arrest, and an equally good reason why a multicultural jury in Los Angeles virtually exhonerated the thugs who nearly beat Reginald Denny to death. The disparity in these juries' *cultural* "views" of "justice" weighed heavily in their collective decisions. The Simi Valley jury reflected "white" values, whereas the L.A. jury arrived at their verdict through the perspective of "multicultural" values.
  The rationale behind both of these verdicts is not lost on whites. The Denny beating, in particular, personifies everything white suburbanites fear about inner cities and their new multicultural value systems. It's not simply the fact that you can be pulled from your vehicle and beaten - the more ominous implication is that if you are, a multicultural jury in the inner city may be as likely to turn your assailants loose as they are to convict them, in that juries' own view of "justice" and "fairness".

======

Juries have always had "leanings" due to the selection pool, but that was relatively insignificant due to the ethnic differences and resulting cultural biases that exist today.

And... it's only going to get worse in the years to come.

Offline verga

How about giving his illegal alien @$$ the death penalty and then send him back. I am fairly certain he won't cross the border again after that.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.