Author Topic: Boris Johnson loses majority in UK Parliament after MP defects  (Read 1342 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Boris Johnson loses majority in UK Parliament after MP defects
« on: September 03, 2019, 05:42:46 pm »
Boris Johnson, the British prime minister, lost his working majority in Parliament Tuesday after a member of his Conservative party defected to the rival Liberal Democrats as he tries to force through a no-deal Brexit.

Phillip Lee crossed the floor of the House of Commons just as Johnson was giving a statement on last month's G7 summit.

He will sit with the Lib Dems, a party that opposes Brexit and wants to remain in the European Union.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/boris-johnson-loses-majority.amp
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Boris Johnson loses majority in UK Parliament after MP defects
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:35:10 pm »
Pound jumps as Boris Johnson loses majority

The pound turned positive against the dollar and euro on Tuesday after Boris Johnson lost his majority in parliament.

Conservative MP Philip Lee defected to the Liberal Democrats by publicly crossing the floor of the House of Commons on Tuesday afternoon. Lee said in a statement that he could no longer serve as a Conservative MP because the party “has increasingly become infected with the twin diseases of populism and English nationalism.”

[snip]

“Some investor feel the chances of a no-deal Brexit are lower,” Garry White, chief investment commentator at Charles Stanley, said. “Whether they are right or not remains to be seen. Personally, I think no-deal is more likely.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/pound-rises-boris-johnson-loses-majority-brexit-no-deal-152327195.html

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 07:42:06 pm »
Defying  the will of the people will bite the wishy washy members of Parliament in the butt someday.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 07:59:01 pm »
Bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline OfTheCross

Boris Johnson has no working majority ahead of a crucial Brexit vote
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 08:49:07 pm »

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1168911028194881537?s=20

Dr Lee, the MP for Bracknell, took his seat on the opposition benches as the PM addressed the Commons.

His defection means Boris Johnson no longer has a working majority.

MPs hoping to pass legislation to block no deal have cleared the first hurdle after Speaker John Bercow granted them an emergency debate.

That debate could last up to three hours, followed by a vote. If the MPs win the vote - defeating the government - they will be able to take control of Commons business on Wednesday.

That will give them the chance to introduce a cross-party bill which would force the prime minister to ask for Brexit to be delayed until 31 January, unless MPs approve a new deal, or vote in favour of a no-deal exit, by 19 October.

more

Brexit is probably going to get pushed back again...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:49:54 pm by OfTheCross »
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 08:51:23 pm »
Topix merged.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Boris Johnson has no working majority ahead of a crucial Brexit vote
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 09:03:46 pm »
Brexit is probably going to get pushed back again...

Possibly.  If it does, a snap election may happen first.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 09:04:38 pm »
Ok, I have never been able to understand this Brexit to be honest.

The people voted to break away from the European Union... but the politicians have basically dragged their toes in doing it right? So it never gets done, right?

Anyone care to give me a nutshell in layman's terms (dumbed down) on what happens. Does the break away occur no matter what eventually?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:06:47 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 09:25:54 pm »
BREAKING: Johnson will seek an early election if Parliament votes to stop no-deal Brexit

Johnson says he will seek an early election if Parliament votes to block a no-deal Brexit and compel "another pointless delay" to Brexit.

He said "I don't want and election, the country doesn't want an election", but warned that Parliament would leave him with no choice if it votes to block a no-deal Brexit tomorrow.

A reminder that under UK law, if Johnson wants to call an election, he must get the support of two-thirds of lawmakers in the House of Commons.

https://www.cnn.com/uk/live-news/boris-johnson-brexit-parliament-tuesday-dle-gbr-intl/index.html

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 09:46:18 pm »
Ok, I have never been able to understand this Brexit to be honest.

The people voted to break away from the European Union... but the politicians have basically dragged their toes in doing it right? So it never gets done, right?

Anyone care to give me a nutshell in layman's terms (dumbed down) on what happens. Does the break away occur no matter what eventually?

I believe May was trying to make a trade deal with the remaining EU nations, and the Parliament was balking at the terms the EU insisted upon.  The Parliament has been insisting on some sort of a deal before dong the actual "Brexit," so there was an impasse on that and Brexit languishes.  Johnson was elected on the promise that he'd Brexit, deal or not, and that's the 10/31 deadline.

My guess.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 10:27:00 pm »
 :pop41:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 11:32:18 pm »
This is actually pretty big news...

I heard he "sacked some Tory MPs" but what does this mean? And no story reads that directly.

For now, I won't sticky, it's hard to see if stickies work or not... unless it is a big obvious topic like a hurricane or a presidential debate.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 03:18:20 am »
See, something happened, I don't quite get all of this:
Full list of 21 Tory rebels losing the whip in brutal no-deal Brexit purge

An astonishing 21 Tory MPs including veteran Ken Clarke will be booted out of the Conservatives after they sided with MPs who want to block a no-deal Brexit. Here's the full list

ByDan BloomOnline Political Editor

22:25, 3 SEP 2019Updated23:14, 3 SEP 2019

Boris Johnson tonight committed a historic purge of 21 MPs from the Conservative Party after they rebelled against him to stop a no-deal Brexit .

Despite threats to dump their careers and call a snap election, almost two dozen Tory MPs defied the Prime Minister tonight to open the door to preventing no-deal.

Grandees including Father of the House Ken Clarke, Philip Hammond - who was Chancellor six weeks ago - and Winston Churchill's grandson Sir Nicholas Soames backed seizing control of the Commons agenda.

Read more at: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/full-list-21-tory-rebels-19358380

I hope I'm not repeating this news.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:19:18 am by TomSea »

Offline Absalom

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 03:43:34 am »
Great nations decline when their society forgets/ignores their
heritage, by accepting the likes of Missy May and Boris as leaders.
It's a clear sign that the end is approaching.
How far behind are we???????????????????

Offline TomSea

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 04:23:51 am »

Remainers have won the vote to usurp the Government’s role to control the Parliamentary timetable. To this end, they will use tomorrow to table their anti-No Deal bill (termed by Number 10 ‘Corbyn’s surrender bill’).

More: https://order-order.com/2019/09/03/remainers-snatch-control-tomorrows-parliamentary-business/

Nifty site to keep track on, it sort of simplifies it.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 04:33:50 am »
Churchill's grandson to be expelled from Conservative Party after defying Johnson
[Reuters]
By Michael Holden and Andrew MacAskill
Reuters  3 September 2019

Conservative Member of Parliament Nicholas Soames walks in Westminster, in London

By Michael Holden and Andrew MacAskill

LONDON (Reuters) - Nicholas Soames, the grandson of Britain's World War Two leader Winston Churchill, will be expelled from the Conservative Party after voting against Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Brexit.

The move against the Conservative Party grandee marks one of the most bizarre turns in the three-year Brexit crisis that has gripped a country once touted as a confident pillar of Western economic and political stability.

Soames was one of 21 Conservative lawmakers who rebelled, including Ken Clarke, 79, the longest continuously sitting British lawmaker in the House of Commons, and former finance minister Philip Hammond. All are to be expelled.

Read more at: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/winston-churchills-grandson-vote-against-174618885.html

The article goes on to talk about "the Winston Churchill"....  :pondering:  I have a friend who is a big Churchill fan.

Love it, he's asked if this is the end of the conservative party, he says no but it's a bad night...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 04:37:34 am by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 10:48:47 am »
@TomSea

It’s also been a bad week for the royals as well.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 12:43:17 pm »
Possibly.  If it does, a snap election may happen first.

I think that's the ticket.    Don't push a deal with an EU that has no desire to negotiate,  endure a hard exit and then call an election.   See if the will of the people includes dealing with the difficult decisions that freedom and independence require. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 12:55:00 pm »
See if the will of the people includes dealing with the difficult decisions that freedom and independence require.

Problem is, Brexit barely passed, in the UK, overall. Voters in Scotland elected to stay, with 62% against leaving. So, they may have another vote to leave the UK to stay within the EU. The people’s will is a double edged sword.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 01:02:44 pm »
'Chlorinated chicken' and a 'big girl's blouse': UK PM Johnson taunts Corbyn on election
[Reuters]
Reuters  4 September 2019

LONDON (Reuters) - A "chlorinated chicken" and a "big girl's blouse" - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson kicked off his first questions in parliament by goading opposition Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn for not backing a new general election.

At Prime Minister's Questions, a parliamentary session when lawmakers get to quiz the British leader every Wednesday, Johnson used some choice language to attack Labour and try to rally his Conservatives after a bruising night on Tuesday.

After losing a vote on his Brexit plans late on Tuesday, Johnson was keen to get on the front foot by accusing Corbyn of supporting a policy of "dither and delay" over Brexit but also of running scared of his call for an early election on Oct. 15.

Read more at: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/chlorinated-chicken-big-girls-blouse-124313646.html

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 01:08:12 pm »
a big girl's blouse

A derogatory phrase used in jest to insult a man who other men believe is behaving in a weak or effeminate manner. Primarily heard in UK, Australia.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/a+big+girl%27s+blouse

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 02:14:41 pm »
I believe May was trying to make a trade deal with the remaining EU nations, and the Parliament was balking at the terms the EU insisted upon.  The Parliament has been insisting on some sort of a deal before dong the actual "Brexit," so there was an impasse on that and Brexit languishes.  Johnson was elected on the promise that he'd Brexit, deal or not, and that's the 10/31 deadline.  My guess.
@Sighlass
@Cyber Liberty

Parliament did not pass any plan to present to the EU; the two sides could not agree on a plan.  May quit, now there is Johnson and he can't get both sides to agree, either.  One side wants to exist the EU without a plan; the other side wants a plan or stay in the EU.

Here is one change that would happen if they exist the EU:
Right now, anyone in these countries can do business in any of the countries as though they live in that country - no restrictions, no paperwork to get permission to work there - it is a single market comprised of all the EU countries. 

My son owns a documentary film company in London, and he can take his camera crew to any of the countries without notifying them he is coming - no paper work to turn in, no approval to get before going there; it is as though all EU countries are one country.

If Britain leaves the EU, son has to notify any of those countries he is coming there to work and detail what that work is.  That country government will then decide if he can come there and do work.  This is one reason businesses do not want to leave the EU; they are trading now as though they are in one country, meeting the standards of the EU.  Once out of the EU, they must meet the standard of each country separately.

"The House of Commons Library has said that the overall impact of leaving the EU on businesses isn’t really about the impact it will have on the size of the ‘burden’ regulations create. It is about whether the benefits of having a more tailored and flexible national system of regulations outweigh the loss of access to the single market that may come with whatever relationship we negotiate with the EU."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:16:21 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 04:16:19 pm »
Economic fallout is a distraction.  The migrant flood is a terminal disease caused to some degree by the EU.  It is to the point where they either deal with the pain of treatment or put themselves on a morphine drip.  Boris is giving the patient a choice.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 07:00:16 pm »
  • LIVE: Johnson defeated again as MPs pass bill blocking no-deal Brexit
[/color]

https://news.sky.com/story/live-labour-not-voting-for-an-election-today-says-sir-keir-starmer-11801840