Author Topic: Iraq closes airspace to stop Israeli strikes on pro-Iranian militia sites  (Read 218 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Iraq closes airspace to stop Israeli strikes on pro-Iranian militia sites
Aug 17, 2019

Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi has issued an unprecedented order placing Iraqi air space off limits to all aircraft without his personal authorization. The decree issued on Friday, Aug. 16 was one of three steps Baghdad has taken to put a stop to Israeli air strikes on pro-Iranian Shiite militia targets, whether by jets, drones or missiles.The three steps revealed here by DEBKAfile are:

1.    An investigation to get to the bottom of the explosions on Aug. 12 that destroyed the ammunition depot at Al Saqr (or Camp Falcon as it is called by the e Americans) I in South Baghdad. Flying Katyusha ammo and mortar shell fragments killed at least one in the city and injured scores of others.

Al Saqr is the command center of the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMU), the largest Shiite militia in Iraq, which is led by Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis, a lieutenant of the Iranian Al Qods chief Gen. Qassem Soleimani.

Read more at: https://www.debka.com/iraq-closes-airspace-to-stop-israeli-strikes-on-pro-iranian-militia-sites/

Yes, apparently, Israel has hit Iranian interest in Iraq per one airstrike I am aware of, this has been reported previously but I don't believe it has happened with any frequency.