Author Topic: House GOP fears retirement wave will lead to tsunami  (Read 24618 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: House GOP fears retirement wave will lead to tsunami
« Reply #275 on: August 01, 2019, 11:14:32 pm »
@DCPatriot
That ol score has been around so long, and the impurity is so great that y'all ARE the other side, right along with the other side.

The whole thing is a bullcrap sport, with nothing there but jerseys and ball caps.

Y'all are happily eating a multi-trillion dollar increase for nothing other than a chance to poke the other side in the eye. Big government  - y'all just think you can do it better than the dems.
 **nononono*

@roamer_1

It's not that at all.   I don't give a damn about 3 generations in the future.

I selfishly only care about maintaining this Republic as the Founders intended for myself, my five children, four daughters-in-law and six grandchildren.

I would selfishly expect anybody who isn't a declared Democrat or any other political ideology to want the same thing.

The choice is personal freedoms vs. becoming a slave to the State.

Stop jerking around with this high horse virtue crap.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #276 on: August 01, 2019, 11:23:30 pm »
@roamer_1

It's not that at all.   I don't give a damn about 3 generations in the future.

I selfishly only care about maintaining this Republic as the Founders intended for myself, my five children, four daughters-in-law and six grandchildren.

Ahh... So only TWO generations in the future...  Speaking for myself, 'Securing the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity' should forever be extending far into the future.

I would selfishly expect anybody who isn't a declared Democrat or any other political ideology to want the same thing.

The choice is personal freedoms vs. becoming a slave to the State.
Stop jerking around with this high horse virtue crap.

And what exactly makes you think that TRILLIONS more in debt is making you free @DCPatriot ?
What personal freedom have you preserved?

American Conservatism Starts in the idea that liberty is couched firmly in Federalism - In civil libertarianism and small government.

WHERE IS THAT?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #277 on: August 01, 2019, 11:30:20 pm »
I'm too old to sit and argue with you.

Would rather have a prostate resection.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #278 on: August 01, 2019, 11:34:09 pm »
Ahh... So only TWO generations in the future...  Speaking for myself, 'Securing the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity' should forever be extending far into the future.

And what exactly makes you think that TRILLIONS more in debt is making you free @DCPatriot ?
What personal freedom have you preserved?

American Conservatism Starts in the idea that liberty is couched firmly in Federalism - In civil libertarianism and small government.

WHERE IS THAT?

:amen:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2019, 12:11:13 am »
I'm too old to sit and argue with you.

Would rather have a prostate resection.    :laugh:

@DCPatriot
That's fine pal... No fault no foul...

But if it doesn't even adhere to the very basis of Conservatism, How can you call it such?
There's the problem. I don't care what you do - That's your business. Knock yourself out. And where we meet, hail fellow, well met.

Just don't call it Conservatism, because by definition, it ain't. Which circles me right back around to the beginning of this latest episode - Why should I, as a Reaganite Conservative, vote for your guy and your agenda  when it is not Conservative? When I legitimately see your movement and your leader as espousing big government liberalism?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #280 on: August 02, 2019, 09:39:12 am »
The only "affirmation" is that they aren't as shitty as the candidate of the other party against whom you are running in the general election.  And generally, I'd say that a RINO is better than, say, Elizabeth Warren.  You may disagree.  Also, incumbents -- including RINOs -- are all very well away that just because they won one primary, and one general election, doesn't mean they are immune from being tossed out next time.  Most know that their win was opponent-dependent, and if the opponent changes to someone the voters like better, they'll lose.

Great campaign slogan. Vote for our guy because he's less shitty. (Hell, I bet the sonofagun has electrolytes, too!) --In essence, that is what has brought this great nation to this precipice.
 Less shitty is still shitty.
Are you talking about "the platform"?

If so, I don't think it is quite meaningless - it is often a basic statement of where the center of that party actually lies.  It is useful to compare the platform of one party against the platform of the other as general guidance.  But not every individual candidate is going to be fully supportive of every single thing in a platform.  So, it isn't binding, and it isn't a guarantee of what will be accomplished.  Exactly how much use it is...probably very little.
If it is just a suggestion, it isn't much to stand on.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #281 on: August 02, 2019, 01:33:33 pm »
Great campaign slogan. Vote for our guy because he's less shitty. (Hell, I bet the sonofagun has electrolytes, too!) --In essence, that is what has brought this great nation to this precipice.
 Less shitty is still shitty.  If it is just a suggestion, it isn't much to stand on.

That's not the "slogan".  There clearly will be a lot of people voting for a guy because they really like him.  My point is that the mere fact that you're casting a vote for a guy does not mean you are a fan of everything about him, and may simply be trying to keep an opponent you believe to be worse out of power.

Or -- perhaps more likely -- there are things about the candidate you like, some things you don't, but you think the good outweighs the bad in comparison to the opponent.  Anyone who considers a vote for a candidate equivalent to agreeing with that candidate on every single issue, and an endorsement of every person foible and idiosyncracy, is being willfully obtuse.  Only the most pendantic twit would argue that everyone who voted for George W. Bush thought him getting a DUI was fantastic, or that those who voted for Trump saw nothing at all wrong with Trump's "grab them by the bleep" comment.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:17:54 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #282 on: August 02, 2019, 02:07:59 pm »
Great campaign slogan. Vote for our guy because he's less shitty

That's the choice many of us will be facing next year.   It shouldn't have to be that way.  And the bottom line is lots of folks will, like @roamer_1 , stay home.   I seem to recall that Romney got more popular votes in 2012 than either Clinton or Trump received in 2016.   What a shitty choice that was.     

Why are we so cowed and submissive that we don't demand better???
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

« Reply #283 on: August 02, 2019, 02:17:52 pm »
That's not the "slogan".  There clearly will be a lot of people voting for a guy because they really like him.  My point is that the mere fact that you're casting a vote for a guy does not mean you are a fan of everything about him, and may simply be trying to keep an opponent you believe to be worse out of power.

Or -- perhaps more likely -- there are things about the candidate you like, some things you don't, but you think the good outweighs the bad in comparison to the opponent.  Anyone who considers a vote for a candidate equivalent to agree with that candidate on every single issue, and an endorsement of every person foible and idiosyncracy, is being willfully obtuse.  Only the most pendantic twit would argue that everyone who voted for George W. Bush thought him getting a DUI was fantastic, or that those who voted for Trump saw nothing at all wrong with Trump's "grab them by the bleep" comment.

This is a serious question, because I know you are a thoughtful person @Maj. Bill Martin .........

Is there never a point for you where the Republican candidate's negatives are a bridge too far, and where you simply cannot support that candidate by giving him/her your vote?

IOW, will you always vote for the Republican in every election in the future, or is there a point where you say, I cannot support this candidate?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #284 on: August 02, 2019, 02:20:03 pm »
That's the choice many of us will be facing next year.   It shouldn't have to be that way.  And the bottom line is lots of folks will, like @roamer_1 , stay home.   I seem to recall that Romney got more popular votes in 2012 than either Clinton or Trump received in 2016.   What a shitty choice that was.     

Why are we so cowed and submissive that we don't demand better???

Don't forget that in 2016, Republicans at the Convention who were also Conservatives were told by the Trump GOP to get lost.

They weren't 'cowed."  They were forcibly removed.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #285 on: August 02, 2019, 02:24:44 pm »
Will Hurd, only black Republican in House, retiring
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/455872-texas-gop-lawmaker-will-hurd-retiring

Geeez...we are never going to regain the House at this rate...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #286 on: August 02, 2019, 02:25:42 pm »
This is a serious question, because I know you are a thoughtful person @Maj. Bill Martin .........

Is there never a point for you where the Republican candidate's negatives are a bridge too far, and where you simply cannot support that candidate by giving him/her your vote?

IOW, will you always vote for the Republican in every election in the future, or is there a point where you say, I cannot support this candidate?

For me, several times.  Maverick John McCain was my Senator.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #287 on: August 02, 2019, 02:32:31 pm »

@musiclady

I highly prioritize policy/issues over personality or personal characteristics, because those are the things that last and have legal impact on core freedoms and the lives of citizens long after the person is out of office. So if I don't vote for a Republican, it almost certainly will be because of their stance on issues.  I was on the fence about voting for Trump, but was convinced to vote for him because of two issues:  Nominations to the federal courts, and immigration.  In both cases, he's been even more conservative than I'd hoped, so that's more than enough to earn my vote for 2020 despite my disagreement with him on some other issues.

As things now stand, I would not vote at all for Kasich, Flake, Yeb, and probably some others as well.  I think all three of them are so wrong on immigration that I couldn't vote for them.  I wouldn't even vote for Kasich for governor if he was running for re-election.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:47:45 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline corbe

« Reply #288 on: August 02, 2019, 02:36:26 pm »

Rep. Hurd voted with pelousi more than the GOP.  I'm sure this district (the largest, land mass wise, in the US) will switch back to dem.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2019, 02:39:55 pm »
Don't forget that in 2016, Republicans at the Convention who were also Conservatives were told by the Trump GOP to get lost.

@musiclady

There is NOTHING politically "conservative" about being a fire-breathing bible-thumper. In FACT,it means just the opposite because actual conservatives fight against police states of every type.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2019, 02:41:07 pm »
That's the choice many of us will be facing next year.   It shouldn't have to be that way.  And the bottom line is lots of folks will, like @roamer_1 , stay home.   I seem to recall that Romney got more popular votes in 2012 than either Clinton or Trump received in 2016.   

That's actually not true.  Both Hillary and Trump in 2016 got more popular votes than did Romney in 2012.

In 2012, Romney got 60,589,084 votes

https://www.270towin.com/2012_Election/

In 2016, Trump got 62,980,160, and Hillary got 65,845,063

https://www.270towin.com/2016_Election/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #291 on: August 02, 2019, 02:41:34 pm »
I highly prioritize policy/issues over personality or personal characteristics.  So if I don't vote for a Republican, it almost certainly will be because of their stance on issues.  I was on the fence about voting for Trump, but was convinced to vote for him because of two issues:  Nominations to the federal courts, and immigration.  In both cases, he's been even more conservative than I'd hoped, so that's more than enough to earn my vote for 2020 despite my disagreement with him on some other issues.

As things now stand, I would not vote at all for Kasich, Flake, Yeb, and probably some others as well.  I think all three of them are so wrong on immigration that I couldn't vote for them.

I voted for Flake, several times as my Congressman.  He was a very good Congressman so I voted for him for his one term as Senator.  He's dead to me now.  Never seen such a terrible reversal, and that came years before his profound hatred of all things Trump.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #292 on: August 02, 2019, 02:43:15 pm »
I highly prioritize policy/issues over personality or personal characteristics.  So if I don't vote for a Republican, it almost certainly will be because of their stance on issues.  I was on the fence about voting for Trump, but was convinced to vote for him because of two issues:  Nominations to the federal courts, and immigration.  In both cases, he's been even more conservative than I'd hoped, so that's more than enough to earn my vote for 2020 despite my disagreement with him on some other issues.

As things now stand, I would not vote at all for Kasich, Flake, Yeb, and probably some others as well.  I think all three of them are so wrong on immigration that I couldn't vote for them.

So if John Kasich were running in 2016 against Hillary, you would not have voted for him?

(Not trying to trap you.......... just wanting to know).

The reason is, that for me, what you call "personal characteristics" trump issues.  Serial adultery and perpetual dishonesty are back breakers...... and Trump is guilty on both counts.

For you it's issues and Kasich and jeb.  But you do have a point where you say, "No more."

That's where I am with Trump.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #293 on: August 02, 2019, 02:43:19 pm »

@mystery-ak

He was shunned and attacked on a daily basis by the "Congresional Black Klan",as well as the mental midgets in the media,so I guess the pressure finally got to him.

I can't say as I blame him. It can't be fun to go to work every day and try too do your best,while being either ignored and insulted every day.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #294 on: August 02, 2019, 02:43:34 pm »

If Will Hurd is the answer for conservatives it must have been a damned stupid question!  And BTW:  Conservatives never have HAD the house.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #295 on: August 02, 2019, 02:45:21 pm »
@musiclady

There is NOTHING politically "conservative" about being a fire-breathing bible-thumper. In FACT,it means just the opposite because actual conservatives fight against police states of every type.

Don't you ever get tired of being Johnny-one-note-I-hate-Christians, pete??

Because you bore the heck out of me.

(Besides the fact that you are factually WRONG in your anti-morality mania........)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #296 on: August 02, 2019, 02:45:26 pm »

Exactly when did that happen, and how many conservatives were removed by force?  I don't remember that at all.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #297 on: August 02, 2019, 02:46:25 pm »
For me, several times.  Maverick John McCain was my Senator.

Then you too understand why there are many who are at that same point with Trump......

Offline musiclady

« Reply #298 on: August 02, 2019, 02:47:14 pm »
Exactly when did that happen, and how many conservatives were removed by force?  I don't remember that at all.

At the convention.  Told to shut up.  Told they weren't wanted in Trump's party.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #299 on: August 02, 2019, 02:47:50 pm »
Don't you ever get tired of being Johnny-one-note-I-hate-Christians, pete??

@musiclady

WHY would I ever get tired of fighting an evil that wants to enslave me and everyone else while destroying America by turning it into a police state?

BTW,I hate Islam,too. They are nothing more,or less,than the flip side of your card.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:49:39 pm by sneakypete »