Author Topic: Social worker dad charged over the deaths of his twins is released from custody into the arms of his  (Read 3653 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Something else I thought of -- and I don't drive, so please bear with me -- while a person is driving, doesn't he look at the rear mirror from time to time?  Seems to me, even if this father forgot to drop them off at daycare, he would have, at some point before arriving at work, noticed the little ones in the car seat when he looked at the rear view mirror.  He should have had at least a partial view of the children, no?   

@Applewood

Normally speaking,yes. In city traffic,not so much.  There is no real need to look behind you when everybody is pretty much channeled into one lane and you need to focus on what is ahead of you and approaching from side streets. When you do want to see what is behind you,the side mirrors give a better view than the rear view mirror,

You do make an excellent point,though. For all I know the traffic conditions might be different where he lives,and I am guessing he would have seen the children if he had looked into the rear view mirrow.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Something else I thought of -- and I don't drive, so please bear with me -- while a person is driving, doesn't he look at the rear mirror from time to time?  Seems to me, even if this father forgot to drop them off at daycare, he would have, at some point before arriving at work, noticed the little ones in the car seat when he looked at the rear view mirror.  He should have had at least a partial view of the children, no?   

I guess I should be more sympathetic, but there is something about this story that doesn't sound right to me.  Old age has made me less trusting, less willing to believe every sad story.

Article says he drives an Accord.  I don't.  When I look out the rearview of my truck, though I usually use the side mirrors, I wouldn't see a car seat, and the way my brain works I probably wouldn't notice it if I did (as long as it was supposed to be there).

Half (at least?) the time I walk into the kitchen I can't remember why I did.  I make shopping lists (a necessity when I need more than three things -- forgot the oats, again, today!!!), then forget to take the list.  Or I take it and forget to look at it.  Or I look at it, and still forget to pick up the item by the time I get to the next isle.  It's really, really frustrating.

I can't say what happened with this guy.  I have no idea.  But I can legitmately see myself forgetting I had kids in the car.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@mystery-ak

The only good news here is they probably didn't. They probably never even woke up from their naps.

Unlike the father,who will probably never again get a good nights sleep. If you are not a sociopath,there just ain't no getting over something like this. Not ever. If he is a normal man,there is nothing the state can do to him that can begin to compare to what he will put himself though.

Guy may have been really tired, maybe running late for work.   Perhaps he and his wife alternate days dropping the kids off, they fell asleep and didn't make any noise, and he just...forgot it was "his day". And I totally agree with those who say it is possible the babies didn't show up in his rear view mirror, depending upon how it was adjusted.

Assuming this truly was an accident, the pain this man must feel is unimaginable.  He seems like a very good and decent man otherwise.  I feel very sorry for their babies, but I feel very sorry for him and his wife as well.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:24:09 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Could the guy have been slightly stoned?
(that's a serious question)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Could the guy have been slightly stoned?
(that's a serious question)

@Fishrrman

Seems unlikely since he was on his way to work in the early AM,and he had a government job and was surrounded by people that would have reported him if they suspected he was high.

Offline Absalom

Repeating, this buffoon, moron, schmuck; killed his infant children!!!
It is beyond astounding the number of posters who find an excuse
and rationalization for his behavior. BEYOND ASTOUNDING!!!
The Ancients treated "mistakes" of this magnitude w/the harshest
severity to send a Lima Charlie message that such behavior was
beyond the pale and would never be tolerated.
That we cannot condemn this for what it is, labels us for what we
have become as a culture/society!

Online roamer_1

Article says he drives an Accord.  I don't.  When I look out the rearview of my truck, though I usually use the side mirrors, I wouldn't see a car seat, and the way my brain works I probably wouldn't notice it if I did (as long as it was supposed to be there).

Half (at least?) the time I walk into the kitchen I can't remember why I did.  I make shopping lists (a necessity when I need more than three things -- forgot the oats, again, today!!!), then forget to take the list.  Or I take it and forget to look at it.  Or I look at it, and still forget to pick up the item by the time I get to the next isle.  It's really, really frustrating.

I can't say what happened with this guy.  I have no idea.  But I can legitmately see myself forgetting I had kids in the car.

That's right.
I forgot the kids were in the car. Luckily I was at the ranch, and the car was in the shade... No fault no foul... Sitting there on the porch, half way through a sweet tea when it hit me.

Made me wary of it evermore...

Online roamer_1

Guy may have been really tired, maybe running late for work.   Perhaps he and his wife alternate days dropping the kids off, they fell asleep and didn't make any noise, and he just...forgot it was "his day". And I totally agree with those who say it is possible the babies didn't show up in his rear view mirror, depending upon how it was adjusted.

Assuming this truly was an accident, the pain this man must feel is unimaginable.  He seems like a very good and decent man otherwise.  I feel very sorry for their babies, but I feel very sorry for him and his wife as well.

Dittos.

Perhaps, but the ancients were quite stupid and unwise.  Our society has taken a turn I don't care for much recently, but I'd never want to throw away thousands of years of progress on the foolish belief that old equals good.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online roamer_1

There is a thing called Christian charity, and the sure knowledge that there but for the grace of God go I..

If the guy were a drunk, or stoned... or if he left them there on purpose to go gambling, I dare say the reaction would be quite different.

And you've a distinctly rosy view of the ancients, who routinely engaged in pedophilia and child sacrifice, and whose religious orgies would be the envy of any frat house...

I can understand your admiration, so oft proclaimed... But it only goes so far. Prior to Christianity, the pagan world was horrifying - To include Greece and Rome.

Offline Absalom

Obviously, pious malarkey and sanctimonious bullshit rule. 
No surprise, given our chronic excuses for failure and incompetence.
The Ancients hardly need our approval as they're the core reason we exist.
Utterly brainless and embarrassing noise that is far too stupid for words.

Obviously, pious malarkey and sanctimonious bullshit rule. 
No surprise, given our chronic excuses for failure and incompetence.
The Ancients hardly need our approval as they're the core reason we exist.
Utterly brainless and embarrassing noise that is far too stupid for words.

Agreed.  I thank God our species managed to survive the chronic failure and incompetence, and the utterly brainless and embarrassing noise of the ancient [spelled correctly, not "Ancient"] world.

I wonder how many people were killed before people figured out the blood goes on the inside.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Prior to Christianity, the pagan world was horrifying - To include Greece and Rome.

@roamer_1

"PRIOR TO CHRISTIANITY"??????

DOOD! Have you ever actually read the Bible?

BTW,there was a guy named Martin Luther you might want to check on. He knew more about this stuff than either of us.

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

"PRIOR TO CHRISTIANITY"??????

DOOD! Have you ever actually read the Bible?

We have had this conversation before @sneakypete ... Yes I am the one who reads/studies the Bible. You are the one who has not.

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
We have had this conversation before @sneakypete ... Yes I am the one who reads/studies the Bible. You are the one who has not.

*****rollingeyes*****

@roamer_1

Wrong once again. It was reading the Bible that convinced me organized religion is more about control than religion. BTW,I grew up going to church,and had two uncles that were ministers. One of them would steal the pennies off a blind man's eyes if he had half a chance. Organized religion,be it Christian in the past or the Muslim religion of today,was and is nothing but pure evil.

BTW,I agreed with everything else you wrote in the post I quoted,but I just couldn't let that slip past without comment.

Like I wrote,check out Martin Luther.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:35:53 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Mod1

Let's keep to the topic, please.  No more insults.

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

Wrong once again. It was reading the Bible that convinced me organized religion is more about control than religion.

@sneakypete
I don't give a shit about religion. I do care about the Bible being misused or misconstrued, I will stand every time. My God YHWH picked me up out of a wheel chair  when every doctor said I would never walk again. So it is personal for me - I KNOW it is true - and if you or another misuse the Word, it is no different than those religions you decry.

BTW,I grew up going to church,and had to uncles that were ministers. One of them would steal the pennies off a blind man's eyes if he had half a chance. Organized religion,be it Christian in the past or the Muslim religion of today,was and is nothing but pure evil.

Yeah - All that really means nothing. True religion is relationship... Walking in Torah, joining his house. Hopefully in that, you will find others that are like minded... As I do, often beside a trail over an alcohol stove brewing coffee...

I was raised in the Reformed church, attending at least two services a week... all of which amounts to a row of pins in comparison to what the Bible actually says...

Stop listening to what people say the Bible says and let the Book speak for itself.

Like I wrote,check out Martin Luther.

I am far, far beyond Calvin and Luther... and popes, and preachers and high services...
Decades beyond. I have read it all.. Much of it over and again.

Read the book. None of all that is in there. That ain't the point.

BTW,I agreed with everything else you wrote in the post I quoted,but I just couldn't let that slip past without comment.

:beer:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
roamer wrote:
"If the guy were a drunk, or stoned... or if he left them there on purpose to go gambling, I dare say the reaction would be quite different."

The guy was arrested when the dead kids were discovered, right?
Even though he was released later?

Well then...
Assuming he was arrested, I'm wondering if they took any urine, blood or hair samples (by which drug impairment might be discovered)?

Online roamer_1

roamer wrote:
"If the guy were a drunk, or stoned... or if he left them there on purpose to go gambling, I dare say the reaction would be quite different."

The guy was arrested when the dead kids were discovered, right?
Even though he was released later?

Well then...
Assuming he was arrested, I'm wondering if they took any urine, blood or hair samples (by which drug impairment might be discovered)?

@Fishrrman
Likely all of the above are standard procedure.