Author Topic: Judge dismisses Covington student's defamation suit against Washington Post  (Read 934 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Judge dismisses Covington student's defamation suit against Washington Post
Fox News, Jul 26, 2019

A federal judge in Kentucky Friday threw out a defamation lawsuit filed against The Washington Post by Covington Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann and his family over the paper's reporting of an incident between the young man and a Native American man this past January in Washington.

The lawsuit, which was filed in February, sought $250 million in damages and accused the Post of practicing "a modern-day form of McCarthyism" by targeting Sandmann and "using its vast financial resources to enter the bully pulpit by publishing a series of false and defamatory print and online articles ... to smear a young boy who was in its view an acceptable casualty in their war against the president."

Sandmann became the focus of outrage after a video of him standing face-to-face with a Native American man, Nathan Phillips, while wearing a red "Make America Great Again" hat surfaced and rapidly spread online. Sandmann was one of a group of Covington students attending the anti-abortion March for Life in Washington, D.C., while Phillips was attending the Indigenous Peoples' March on the same day.

In a 36-page ruling, U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman noted that the Post never mentioned Sandmann by name in its initial coverage of the incident, referring only to groups of "hat wearing teens." Bertelsman added that "the words used contain no reflection upon any particular individual" and thus could not be constituted as defamation. The judge also ruled that the newspaper used language that was "loose, figurative," and "rhetorical hyperbole" which is protected by the First Amendment.

More:  https://www.foxnews.com/us/judge-dismisses-appeal-from-kentucky-teen-over-encounter-with-native-american-at-lincoln-memorial-rally

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I hope an appeal is possible. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

In reading the case, it appears that the Post definitely libeled the kid, but the judge says since eyewitness accounts were relied upon for the Post coverage,  the Post is absolved.

That is clearly wrong as an escape hatch for the Post.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In reading the case, it appears that the Post definitely libeled the kid, but the judge says since eyewitness accounts were relied upon for the Post coverage,  the Post is absolved.

That is clearly wrong as an escape hatch for the Post.
Which 'eyewitness' accounts? Were any of them unbiased? Disinterested? Did they ask any of the kids with him?

This ruling is a stain (yes, another one) on the judiciary.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline cato potatoe

Yet another democrat appointee, ruling as a politician.

Bill Cipher

Let’s see what the appeals court has to say.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
HANNITY: But no, no - but the media has a narrative and the reason the media jumps and they don't look, like it would have taken them six seconds to find out the truth in the Nicholas Sandmann case.

WOODLAND: Oh I know.

HANNITY: Not even a phone call did these people make. That - they're going to lose. Lin Wood is going to destroy every one of these big media outlets, I guarantee it, it's a slam dunk, and they will all pay.

https://www.foxnews.com/transcript/attorney-for-nicholas-sandmann-says-the-washington-post-gave-online-bullies-a-megaphone-to-tarnish-his-client

Hannity - the George Tenet of lawsuits.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
HANNITY: But no, no - but the media has a narrative and the reason the media jumps and they don't look, like it would have taken them six seconds to find out the truth in the Nicholas Sandmann case.

WOODLAND: Oh I know.

HANNITY: Not even a phone call did these people make. That - they're going to lose. Lin Wood is going to destroy every one of these big media outlets, I guarantee it, it's a slam dunk, and they will all pay.

https://www.foxnews.com/transcript/attorney-for-nicholas-sandmann-says-the-washington-post-gave-online-bullies-a-megaphone-to-tarnish-his-client

Hannity - the George Tenet of lawsuits.

Hannity is an ungifted moron, always has been.  Unwatchable.  I usually go to OANN after Tucker Carlson's show.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Yet another democrat appointee, ruling as a politician.
They should have known better. When filing a lawsuit like this, the choice of judge is crucial. They chose wrong.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

They should have known better. When filing a lawsuit like this, the choice of judge is crucial. They chose wrong.
They did.

Are you not aware that the media was castigating him as he had ruled in other cases against 1st Amendment protection?

https://www.law.com/dailyreportonline/2019/04/11/judge-in-cnn-washington-post-libel-case-is-no-stranger-to-free-speech-fights/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Actually I don't think they got to choose the judge.  He's an appointee from the Carter years...which means he's in Senior Status which is semi-retired but returns to the bench if the caseload for that court warrants it.

This fight isn't over yet...there will be an appeal.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Actually I don't think they got to choose the judge.  He's an appointee from the Carter years...which means he's in Senior Status which is semi-retired but returns to the bench if the caseload for that court warrants it.

This fight isn't over yet...there will be an appeal.

And there are two more lawsuits, concerning the actual televised reports that were deliberately slanted against Sandmann.  There won't be the weaseling that was required to toss this lawsuit at the District Court level.  They might be able to fob the blame off on witnesses for a newspaper article, but they'll have a tougher time of doing that when you have newsreaders like Anderson Cooper and Madcow mouthing the slander.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline verga

BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Polly Ticks

The Covington Catholic Teen Lost His First Court Battle, But Will Probably Win His Next

On Friday, a federal judge in Kentucky tossed Nicholas Sandmann’s defamation case against the Washington Post. Sandmann, the Covington Catholic student smeared by the Post and many other outlets earlier this year as a smirking, MAGA-hat-wearing racist who had blocked Native American elder Nathan Phillips’s path, promises an appeal.

On appeal, Sandmann is likely to win. I’ll lay out why, after a quick review of what happened.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/07/29/covington-catholic-teen-lost-first-court-battle-will-probably-win-next/
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra