Author Topic: Costco Bows Down to Sharia Law – They’ve Officially Gone TOO FAR!  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
You blew your entire argument at the 7th word.  Your attempt at moral superiority is pathetic.

I chose my words carefully.   I do not toss around a charge of "bigotry" unless it is warranted.  Here, this jerk says he won't patronize a business because it offers some halal products for its Muslim customers.   That's why I raised the example of a supermarket with a kosher aisle.   Refusing to patronize a business because it caters to its Jewish customers can easily seen by most reasonable folks as "bigoted".   Well, it is no different when the "offensive"  products are halal, or for that matter,  Christmas items intended to appeal to Christian customers.   

Like it or not,  our communities include Christian, Jewish and Muslim members.   As much as some religious folks are taught to hate and fear the members of other faiths,  the task of a business is to cater to its customers.    If you are of the view that this sap has the right as an American to refuse to patronize businesses that sell ethnic foods,  then I won't disagree.   But please don't then object because I exercise my right to call such an individual what he or she is -  a bigot.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I chose my words carefully.   I do not toss around a charge of "bigotry" unless it is warranted.  Here, this jerk says he won't patronize a business because it offers some halal products for its Muslim customers.   That's why I raised the example of a supermarket with a kosher aisle.   Refusing to patronize a business because it caters to its Jewish customers can easily seen by most reasonable folks as "bigoted".   Well, it is no different when the "offensive"  products are halal, or for that matter,  Christmas items intended to appeal to Christian customers.   

Like it or not,  our communities include Christian, Jewish and Muslim members.   As much as some religious folks are taught to hate and fear the members of other faiths,  the task of a business is to cater to its customers.    If you are of the view that this sap has the right as an American to refuse to patronize businesses that sell ethnic foods,  then I won't disagree.   But please don't then object because I exercise my right to call such an individual what he or she is -  a bigot.   

I would not preclude your need to show off your desert of an argument by forbidding the use of a term.  I'm glad you did, it saved me (and a lot of others) a lot of time.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Did you read the entire article and watch the video?

I did read the article.  I only listened to the half or so of the video because 1) I'd much rather get my information from reading, and 2) she wasn't saying anything different from what was written in the article.  And all her comments about halal products were couched in terms of "some" "many", etc., but lacking in any specifics.  So she didn't answer the question of whether or not Costco in particular is subsidizing halal.   

More importantly, the outraged customer quoted in the article didn't mention cost or price at all.  That was a more general point made by the article itself, but there is zero evidence the customer cared about that.  He was simply angry that halal meat was being served period.  So to me, he's still a bigot.

Second, nothing in the article stated that Costco in particular was 'subsidizing" the halal designation.  We simply don't know.  My guess is that Costco - a retailer - probably buys that halal-certified packaged chicken from some wholesale company that makes and markets it, and sets their own priced for wholesale purchases.  Costco then buys it, and attaches their usual markup to it.  I very much doubt that Costco itself is doing the actual chicken processing under halal or any other conditions.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:53:07 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I did read the article.  I only listened to the half or so of the video because 1) I'd much rather get my information from reading, and 2) she wasn't saying anything different from what was written in the article.  And all her comments about halal products were couched in terms of "some" "many", etc., but lacking in any specifics.  So she didn't answer the question of whether or not Costco in particular is subsidizing halal.   

More importantly, the outraged customer quoted in the article didn't mention cost or price at all.  That was a more general point made by the article itself, but there is zero evidence the customer cared about that.  He was simply angry that halal meat was being served period.  So to me, he's still a bigot.

Second, nothing in the article stated that Costco in particular was 'subsidizing" the halal designation.  We simply don't know.  My guess is that Costco - a retailer - probably buys that halal-certified packaged chicken from some wholesale company that makes and markets it, and sets their own priced for wholesale purchases.  Costco then buys it, and attaches their usual markup to it.  I very much doubt that Costco itself is doing the actual chicken processing under halal or any other conditions.

I agree with most of that, but ascribing "bigotry" to the complainant when it has not been shown to exist is intellectual laziness.  To call it intellectual anything is actually more than it deserves.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Bill Cipher

I agree with most of that, but ascribing "bigotry" to the complainant when it has not been shown to exist is intellectual laziness.  To call it intellectual anything is actually more than it deserves.

It has been shown to exist.  Certain people just don’t wish to accept that fact because it’s inconsistent with their worldview. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It has been shown to exist.  Certain people just don’t wish to accept that fact because it’s inconsistent with their worldview.

It sure does exist, but does it exist in this story?  Like anything else, I need it proven.  In that regard, I'm from Missouri.  Show me.  To call something "bigotry" without demonstrating it is just bigotry of another stripe.  I don't know enough about the person in this story to so label him.  Maybe he is.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:16:02 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Bill Cipher

It sure does exist, but does it exist in this story?  Like anything else, I need it proven.  In that regard, I'm from Missouri.  Show me.  To call something "bigotry" without demonstrating it is just bigotry of another stripe.  I don't know enough about the person in this story to so label him.  Maybe he is.

No, you don’t want it proven, you want it denied.  It is quite evident in the story and its context.

It’s funny how selective you are about when you’re going to have these mysterious bouts of Olympus-like magnanimity and “even handedness”.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

I don't disagree that the term "bigot" is tossed around far too frequently,  and even more frequently misused.    Yet it remains a word that has meaning, and I contend that I did not misuse it.     

So what, @Cyber Liberty,  is the definition of "bigotry" that you find acceptable?   And why cannot this customer's refusal to patronize Costco merely because it offered halal items for sale be accurately described as bigotry?   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

What you and I both know about this person is what the article says about him.   Based on that information,  how is he not a bigot?   And if even you concede that "maybe" he is,  why are you all up on your high horse about those of us who dare call a spade a spade?   
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:23:49 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I'll say is this:  it is possible that this guy complaining is just an idiot, and incredibly poor at expressing himself.  Perhaps the true reason he was pissed was because of some issue of subsidies, or because halal meat was the only meat being sold by Costco, and just forgot to say that.

So either we take at face value his statement that he objects to halal "being served" at Costco, in which case he is a bigot.  Or, he's just an idiot with crappy communications skills.  It's one or the other.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:44:38 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LadyLiberty

You would be surprised to know how much kosher food you have, even if you don't shop in the "kosher" section of the grocery store.  There are two organizations that certify foods and ingredients as kosher, so you will see either a "K" inside of a circle or a "U" inside of a circle.  I just went in my pantry and pulled out four random items.  Jif peanut butter, Dukes Mayo, and Kroger tartar sauce all had the U in a circle symbol (which is from an orthodox inspection) and Crystal Light tea had the K in a circle symbol.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What you and I both know about this person is what the article says about him.   Based on that information,  how is he not a bigot?   And if even you concede that "maybe" he is,  why are you all up on your high horse about those of us who dare call a spade a spade?

I read the story, and if he'd said something about "those darn Muzzies" I would have considered him a bigot.  To assume he is right out of the box is what I call "intellectual laziness."  If that horse seems high to you, that is not my problem.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'll say is this:  it is possible that this guy complaining is just an idiot, and incredibly poor at expressing himself.  Perhaps the true reason he was pissed was because of some issue of subsidies, or because halal meat was the only meat being sold by Costco, and just forgot to say that.

So either we take at face value his statement that he objects to halal "being served" at Costco, in which case he is a bigot.  Or, he's just an idiot with crappy communications skills.  It's one or the other.

I can agree with that.  The fact is, we don't know for sure and it's wrong to just chalk that up to the cheap shot of calling him a bigot.  Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but my sense of fair play causes me to make no such assumption absent any proof.  It's no different than throwing the Race Card at every opportunity.
I will NOT comply.

Offline PeteS in CA

...  This is a stupid thing to complain about.

Concur. Costco is simply supplying something for which they believe there is a market. Just like Nike selling hijabs for female Muslim runners made of Nike's moisture-wicking fabric - Nike thinks there's a market for it. And before anyone asks, yes, I have seen female runners wearing hijabs, but doing ordinary training runs and at running events.

Costco is like any store. They sell things for which they believe there is a market. E.G. they don't sell kosher deli meats because they are bowing down to Orthodox rabbis, they sell such meats because they think people will buy them.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline berdie

You would be surprised to know how much kosher food you have, even if you don't shop in the "kosher" section of the grocery store.  There are two organizations that certify foods and ingredients as kosher, so you will see either a "K" inside of a circle or a "U" inside of a circle.  I just went in my pantry and pulled out four random items.  Jif peanut butter, Dukes Mayo, and Kroger tartar sauce all had the U in a circle symbol (which is from an orthodox inspection) and Crystal Light tea had the K in a circle symbol.

That's interesting...I've never looked.  It doesn't make any difference...but it would be interesting.

Offline The_Reader_David

I believe the Holy Apostle Paul counseled that Christians may eat meat offered to idols, so long as doing so does not cause a weak brother who worries about such things to be harmed.  Let me know who this bloke is so I don't buy any halal meat while he's watching.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline PeteS in CA

I believe the Holy Apostle Paul counseled that Christians may eat meat offered to idols, so long as doing so does not cause a weak brother who worries about such things to be harmed.  Let me know who this bloke is so I don't buy any halal meat while he's watching.

A tourist tip my daughter learned the unpleasant way: if you are in India and get an irresistible hankering for meat, go to a restaurant that serves halal meat. The cooks are likely to know how to cook it properly.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.