Author Topic: Rwandan man gets eight years in U.S. prison for lying about genocide role  (Read 244 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Rwandan man gets eight years in U.S. prison for lying about genocide role
Nate Raymond

BOSTON (Reuters) - A Rwandan man was sentenced on Monday to more than eight years in prison after being convicted of concealing his involvement in the African nation’s 1994 genocide in hopes of gaining asylum in the United States.

Jean Leonard Teganya, a Rwandan man who U.S. prosecutors said participated in the African nation's 1994 genocide and who was convicted in April of lying in hope of gaining asylum in the United States, is seen in this undated photo provided by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Massachusetts, U.S., July 1, 2019. Courtesy U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Massachusetts/Handout via
Federal prosecutors in Boston had sought 20 years in prison for Jean Leonard Teganya, 48, saying if he was being sentenced for the murders and rapes they say he participated in rather than immigration fraud, they would have sought a life term.

U.S. District Judge F. Dennis Saylor said he did not want to suggest the genocide, in which members of a hard-line Hutu regime massacred an estimated 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus during three months of slaughter, was not “horrifying.”

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-massachusetts-crime-rwanda-idUSKCN1TW3P2

Read the last two paragraphs here, this war criminal, this murderer!  He eventually left from over there, went to Canada, Canada denied him "asylum' after he sought it there, then, he came to the USA and requested asylum. I don't think he was granted it, the article doesn't say. But it shows who shows up requesting asylum at times.

So, they are getting him over ? lying? The guy should face justice over killing. I'm not sure if I have the whole story, maybe they need to return him to Rwanda for that, as we are talking about US laws.

Some Rwandan, Syrian or something, they found him driving a cab somewhere in the US, turns out, he was a war criminal. These kinds of stories I'd say are not unusual.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:23:19 pm by TomSea »