Author Topic: Will Marine Raiders leave California to consolidate on the East Coast?  (Read 302 times)

rangerrebew

Will Marine Raiders leave California to consolidate on the East Coast?
By: Shawn Snow  

The Marine Raiders are considering consolidating the entire elite special operations unit on the East Coast, as the force preps for the future battlefield against more sophisticated adversaries, according the Marine officials.

That would mean 1st Raider battalion — the only West Coast Raider unit — would move closer to its two other sister battalions headquartered aboard Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

No final decision has been made regarding the consolidation effort, a Marine official said.

But two sources within the Raider community, who spoke to Marine Corps Times on condition of anonymity, said that the move was expected — if approved — to take place sometime between 2020 and 2021.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2019/06/28/will-marine-raiders-leave-california-to-consolidate-on-the-east-coast/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I can see an advantage to having them all in the same base because they can train together and share ideas and experiences that might save lives.

Then again,there is this thing called "airplanes",and they are flying back and forth from Ca to NC every day of the week. It might be better to leave a Raider company or two on the left coast so they can better focus on operations in island nations,jungles,etc,etc,etc. Different terrains and different foes require different tactics and equipment.

Which I guess brings forward the big question:  "Is this move being pushed so some USMC General on the East Coast can get a bigger cut of the Special Operation pie,and a better shot at one day being named Chairman of the Joint Chiefs,or is it being suggested because the Raider brass think it needs to be done?"

I'm not a Raider and AFAIK I have never even met or talked with a Raider,so I can't say. I WILL say if this didn't original with the Raider leadership,chances are it is NOT a good idea.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!