Author Topic: One-third of Americans would support a preemptive nuclear strike on North Korea, researchers say  (Read 617 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
One-third of Americans would support a preemptive nuclear strike on North Korea, researchers say

By Simon Denyer
June 25

TOKYO — More than a third of Americans would support a preemptive nuclear strike on North Korea if that country tested a long-range missile capable of reaching the United States, new research has found, even if that preemptive strike killed a million civilians.

The survey of 3,000 Americans was conducted by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists and British research firm YouGov, and asked people to consider a scenario in which North Korea had tested a long-range missile and the U.S. government was considering how to respond.

Most did not want their government to launch a preemptive strike, but a large minority supported such a strike, whether by conventional or nuclear weapons.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/one-third-of-americans-would-support-a-preemptive-nuclear-strike-on-north-korea-researchers-say/2019/06/25/25ed1314-9711-11e9-a027-c571fd3d394d_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.fac34d060d06

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
What about Iran?   I would nuke the fook out that shithole beofe KN/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The last time such things were discussed, the Chinese crossed the Yalu....

Since the North Koreans have been a puppet state in the global chess game, a piece played and owned by the Chinese, expect solidarity there, trade or no.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Yep.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

North Korea is likely where they got the final product. We provided Iran with the plans in 2000, the Norks withdrew from the NPT in 2003. Both nations cooperate on ballistic missile design and testing. They both tried to build a reactor in Syria. Where nukes are concerned, these two are hand in glove.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

North Korea is likely where they got the final product. We provided Iran with the plans in 2000, the Norks withdrew from the NPT in 2003. Both nations cooperate on ballistic missile design and testing. They both tried to build a reactor in Syria. Where nukes are concerned, these two are hand in glove.
Probably picked up the missile info from the Chinese who bought it from the Clintons (Loral, anyone)https://capitalresearch.org/article/flashback-bill-clinton-gave-china-missile-technology/

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

When you are right you are right as rain buddy!  :beer:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Probably picked up the missile info from the Chinese who bought it from the Clintons (Loral, anyone).

Their mobile launch vehicles are Chinese design. It’s also likely they received some help with missile technology from them. Some show signs of carbon fiber wound filament construction. It has more strength and less weight than metal bodies and is a significant advancement for NK technology.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"One-third of Americans would support a preemptive nuclear strike on North Korea, researchers say"

I definitely would have supported it... in years previous.
But that would have been just before... or just after... the Norks had demonstrated "proven nuclear capabilities".

Today, that ship may have sailed.

This still doesn't rule out the possibility that someday... NK might do something crazy enough to warrant a nuclear response.

I posted here a year or two ago the pathway for a denuclearized and reunited Korea:
Make a deal with the Chinese:
You give us Korea (which we will re-unite and keep non-nuclear), and...
... in return, we will give you Taiwan, in a Hong-Kong like deal that grants Taiwan status as a semi-independent partner of China for 30-40 years, after which China is ceded full "ownership".

A "grand Machiavellian bargain", so to speak.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I  don't believe that for a minute.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline kidd

29% of Americans believe Big Foot is real.

Subtracting the nut factor out leaves a very small fraction of sane people who believe that a pre-emptive first strike is a good idea.

Offline Smokin Joe

29% of Americans believe Big Foot is real.

Subtracting the nut factor out leaves a very small fraction of sane people who believe that a pre-emptive first strike is a good idea.
It would seem thus initially, but the subsets might be only marginally overlapped or even mutually exclusive.

You'd probably find as any people who would picket for the preservation of bigfoot reserves....

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

"One-third of Americans would support a preemptive nuclear strike on North Korea, researchers say"
I definitely would have supported it... in years previous.
But that would have been just before... or just after... the Norks had demonstrated "proven nuclear capabilities". Today, that ship may have sailed.
This still doesn't rule out the possibility that someday... NK might do something crazy enough to warrant a nuclear response.

I posted here a year or two ago the pathway for a denuclearized and reunited Korea:
Make a deal with the Chinese:
You give us Korea (which we will re-unite and keep non-nuclear), and...
... in return, we will give you Taiwan, in a Hong-Kong like deal that grants Taiwan status as a semi-independent partner of China for 30-40 years, after which China is ceded full "ownership".
A "grand Machiavellian bargain", so to speak.
--------------------------------------
A strong demurral.
The only Korea that matters is the South where much of the
North migrated during the Japanese Occupation of 1910-45.
Basic agriculture is impossible in the North because of it's rock-pile
terrain as Fishing and food imports are their salvation.
As such re-unification is irrelevant.
As for power, they have neither an Air Force or a Navy!
About Taiwan/Formosa, it was the home of the Kuomintang and
Chiang Kai-Shek after the Communists took power in 1949 and
their people want nothing to do w/Beijing anymore than
Hong Kong or Singapore do!
As for China, our media assholery have elevated them to a ranking
world power. OK, they're an Asian land mass of 1.4 billion people
and so what?
China, controlled by autocrats, be they Emperors, Militarists or
Marxists; for some 4000 years, has never, ever, exhibited the
creativity, innovation and individualism which are prerequisites
for economic powers such as Great Britain and Germany.
This is the reason they have always cheated, lied and stolen.
We hardly need bargains w/their type.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
innovation and individualism which are prerequisites
for economic powers such as Great Britain and Germany.
This is the reason they have always cheated, lied and stolen.
We hardly need bargains w/their type.

@Absalom

I have been shouting this for years,and nobody pays any attention. The Chinese are a VERY industrious people in that they are smart and nobody can accuse them of being lazy,but what they ain't and have never been is creative because they have never had a culture that didn't punish creativity.

They still don't. Think of China as the Worlds Largest Prison Farm.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Absalom

@Absalom
I have been shouting this for years,and nobody pays any attention. The Chinese are a VERY industrious people in that they are smart and nobody can accuse them of being lazy,but what they ain't and have never been is creative because they have never had a culture that didn't punish creativity.
They still don't. Think of China as the Worlds Largest Prison Farm.
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?action=post;quote=1999730;topic=366573.0#
-----------------------------------
Sneaky, your shouts deserve attention big time!
Greece and Rome were ruled by Emperors/Monarchs,
and yet encouraged creativity and innovation.
In contrast, the Chinese saw those attributes as a threat
to their 4000 years of autocratic rule.
Some 2,500 years ago, Alexander the Great showed
Asians that size doesn't matter.
They still haven't gotten the message!!!!!!!!!!!