Author Topic: It's Time for America to Break with Beijing - Gordon Chang  (Read 640 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It's Time for America to Break with Beijing - Gordon Chang
« on: June 24, 2019, 06:41:25 am »
It's Time for America to Break with Beijing
by Gordon G. Chang Follow @GordonGChang on Twitter L

SOME MISTAKES are repeated over the course of generations. For more than four decades, American presidents sought a closer relationship with China, working to “engage” that country so as to “enmesh” it into the international system. Richard Nixon, in his landmark Foreign Affairs article in 1967, provided the rationale for engagement, arguing the Chinese state could not be isolated. “Taking the long view,” he famously wrote then, “we simply cannot afford to leave China forever outside the family of nations, there to nurture its fantasies, cherish its hates and threaten its neighbors.”

Since the early 1970s, American policymakers believed they could avoid such nurturing, cherishing and threatening by making the success of the Communist Party of China a goal of U.S. foreign policy. With interests defined this way, American presidents helped China’s communists at crucial moments.

The first of those moments came in 1972, during the latter stages of Mao Zedong’s Cultural Revolution. Years of internal fighting and chaos—essentially civil war—had weakened China’s ruling organization, but Nixon’s visit that year signaled support for Mao’s tottering regime. “We’re damned,” said Shanghai banker Wu Yaonan at the time, as recounted by democracy activist Chin Jin. “The United States is coming to the rescue of the Communist Party.”

Read more at: https://nationalinterest.org/feature/its-time-america-break-beijing-63327

Gordon Chang: https://twitter.com/GordonGChang

Famous author, probably deserves to be listened to.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: It's Time for America to Break with Beijing - Gordon Chang
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 10:32:20 pm »
America can't really "break" with Beijing.

We literally have too much of our economy "invested" in trade with the Chinese.

Even if we were able "to pull out" of trading with China, I sense that would put the Chinese on a course not unlike that of Japan when it faced an economic cutoff back in the 1930's.

Towards... out-and-out war.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 11:48:55 pm »
Gordon Chang: https://twitter.com/GordonGChang

Famous author, probably deserves to be listened to.

No, he shouldn’t be. He wrote The Coming Collapse Of China in 2001 and has updated it, repeatedly. He’s the Harold Camping Of economics.

I admit it: My prediction that the Communist Party would fall by 2011 was wrong. Still, I'm only off by a year.

BY GORDON G. CHANG | DECEMBER 29, 2011, 11:26 PM

https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/12/29/the-coming-collapse-of-china-2012-edition/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:50:00 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 02:15:19 am »

No, he shouldn’t be. He wrote The Coming Collapse Of China in 2001 and has updated it, repeatedly. He’s the Harold Camping Of economics.

I admit it: My prediction that the Communist Party would fall by 2011 was wrong. Still, I'm only off by a year.

BY GORDON G. CHANG | DECEMBER 29, 2011, 11:26 PM

https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/12/29/the-coming-collapse-of-china-2012-edition/

That's really good if you already knew that. I just found that out posting the story.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 02:40:29 am »
That's really good if you already knew that. I just found that out posting the story.

I didn’t know it, before. Generally, I making a habit of checking a source, when a big story is in the news. There are leftist sites like HuffPo and you know what you’re getting. Consequently, there are right wing sites like Big League Politics. They are just as slanted, but in the other direction. I try to make a point of knowing who is saying what.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 02:19:15 pm »
The problem is Americans buying products made from China.  Just stop!  I know it is hard, but I check everything I buy, and always buy Made in America.  Even if it is more expensive, Made in America.  I'll give you an example.  Almost all pet products are made in China and India.  I buy only products made in USA for my dog.  They are there, and are noticeably of better quality.  After the Chinese were selling poison for human babies, I will not buy anything that can be ingested made by these scumbags, not even for my dog!

I have greatly reduced what I buy too because everything is made in China or some other foreign country the USA has propped up over our own country.  End that nonsense now!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 02:29:01 pm by jafo2010 »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 04:59:51 pm »
The problem is Americans buying products made from China.  Just stop!  I know it is hard, but I check everything I buy, and always buy Made in America.  Even if it is more expensive, Made in America.  I'll give you an example.  Almost all pet products are made in China and India.  I buy only products made in USA for my dog.  They are there, and are noticeably of better quality.  After the Chinese were selling poison for human babies, I will not buy anything that can be ingested made by these scumbags, not even for my dog!

I have greatly reduced what I buy too because everything is made in China or some other foreign country the USA has propped up over our own country.  End that nonsense now!

Yes that is significant and interesting that one should mention pets.

Dog collars have been mentioned as among the goods with tariffs, maybe flea collars.

This is what I try to do, not buy Chinese (obviously, Asian stores have a lot of Chinese goods like Yeo's soy milk,  melon flavored is delicious some tasty varieties but now, there are questions as to environmental concerns, that is so.

I have a few Canadian products. I don't mind buying foreign on a reasonable basis.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 05:13:55 pm »
By all means, AVOID buying anything from China for your pets.....

Offline Absalom

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 07:52:48 pm »
When the topic is China, it would nice if some had a sense of history.
China is an Asian land mass w/a population of 1.5 billion and so what?
Beginning around 1500 BC w/the Shang till the Manchu in 1912, China
was ruled by a series of autocratic dynasties, followed by the military,
till Mao in 1949, when the Communist Party sized power.
This represents some 3500 years of authoritarian rule and the reason
China compulsively cheats, lies and steals; as their culture/society has
historically smothered the spirit of creativity and innovation, viewing
any outlet for self-expression as a threat to the ruling authority.
The two most successful Chinese enclaves in the world are Hong Kong
and Singapore both developed by a British entrepreneurial spirit and
far away from the mindset of Beijing. As for size, an anecdote.
Around 335 BC, Persia was the self-labeled ranking world power who
wanted to teach the upstart Greeks a lesson. Both met at Gaugamela
in Mesopotamia w/the Greeks outnumbered 4 to 1. Within a matter
of hours Alexander the Great crushed the hordes of Emperor Darius
and destroyed his Empire forever. So much for size in Asia.
China is not a threat to us if we hold to our economic principles while
ignoring the whining of the multinational assholery, whose only loyalty
is to their bank accounts and wallets.