Author Topic: The untenability of President Bolton  (Read 334 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The untenability of President Bolton
« on: June 22, 2019, 05:22:34 pm »
The untenability of President Bolton
Spectator, Jun 21, 2019, Curt Mills

[...]

The question, surely, should be: why is it ‘Bolton vs. Trump’? Is Bolton not subordinate to the president? Bolton takes pains to insist that, as national security adviser, he does not set policy — the president does. That doesn’t seem to be the case, however.

It’s a precarious position for the NSA to be in. The apex of one’s power can also be the apogee of one’s exposure. Ambassador Bolton has been jokingly referred to as ‘President Bolton’ in national security circles for months, a potential mark of death. Many Trump officials — Steve Bannon and James Mattis most prominently come to mind, for differing reasons — have been dubbed ‘deputy presidents’ for a time only to find that the president didn’t approve of the apparent diss to his authority. Only ties of family have saved the current deputy president Jared Kushner.

Bolton may not be so lucky. The president and the ambassador openly don’t agree, and aren’t personally close. Pompeo, who will seek the presidency after Trump, does not want to be the Donald Rumsfeld of the Iran war. And Bannon, who as I reported laid the original groundwork for Bolton to become NSA, told Virginia Trump chair and radio host John Fredericks Friday morning: ‘This Iran thing is very disturbing.’

‘NSAs are advisers, not policy makers,’ retired Col. Douglas Macgregor, a favorite of Fox News host Tucker Carlson told me Friday. Carlson has been instrumental in talking the president away from the course of his more wily advisers. And, as I’ve reported, Macgregor is seen in administration circles as an NSA in waiting. ‘Ideally,’ Macgregor says, national security advisers ‘should be seen, not heard.’

Read more:  https://spectator.us/untenability-president-bolton/

Re: The untenability of President Bolton
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 05:24:05 pm »

Cut him loose, Mr. President.  Bolton's one degree away from a straightjacket.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 05:27:58 pm »

Cut him loose, Mr. President.  Bolton's one degree away from a straightjacket.

John Bolton is one of the best. Hope he stays for as long as he wants the job.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 05:37:32 pm »
John Bolton is one of the best.

At what?  Wasting American blood and treasure?

Who the hell needs that.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 05:39:27 pm »
At what?  Wasting American blood and treasure?

Who the hell needs that.

It is my considered, and very well informed,  opinion that he is trying to put a stop to that very thing!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien