Author Topic: CNN Climate change: Greenland lost 2 billion tons of ice yesterday, which is very unusual  (Read 567 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
CNN
Climate change: Greenland lost 2 billion tons of ice yesterday, which is very unusual
By Brandon Miller, CNN Meteorologist

Over 40% of Greenland experienced melting yesterday, with total ice loss estimated to be more than 2 gigatons (a gigaton is equal to 1 billion tons).

While Greenland is a big island filled with lots of ice, it is highly unusual for that much ice to be lost in the middle of June. The average "melt season" for Greenland runs from June to August, with the bulk of the melting occurring in July.

To visualize how much ice that is, imagine filling the National Mall in Washington DC with enough ice to reach a point in the sky eight times higher than the Washington Monument (to borrow an analogy Meredith Nettles from Columbia University gave to the Washington Post.)

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/climate-change-greenland-lost-2-billion-tons-of-ice-yesterday-which-is-very-unusual/ar-AACTn2M

Offline rustynail

If President Obama had given us a Carbon Tax  this Climate Crisis would not be ongoing.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If President Obama had given us a Carbon Tax  this Climate Crisis would not be ongoing.

That's it exactly.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It is the end of the world as we know it.   I feel fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Idiot

Good grief it's summer and the ice melts.  I wonder how many billions of tons were gained during the winter.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Greenland shedding ice in the springtime. How shocking.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'd like to meet the guy CNN found with a scale. rrthree
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'd like to meet the guy CNN found with a scale. rrthree

I'm betting Don Lemon could snifff him out.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.