Author Topic: Oberlin College pleads poverty to jury deciding on punitive damages  (Read 1202 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
June 13, 2019
Oberlin College pleads poverty to jury deciding on punitive damages
By Thomas Lifson

Yesterday saw the president (salary: over half a million dollars) of Oberlin College (with an endowment of $887.4 million) plead poverty to a jury in Lorrain County, Ohio (median household income: $54,932), urging them not add punitive damages of up to $22 million to the $11 million already awarded to Gibson’s Bakery. (For background on the case see this, this, and this.)

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/06/oberlin_college_pleads_poverty_to_jury_deciding_on_punitive_damages.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Oberlin College pleads poverty to jury deciding on punitive damages
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 02:37:25 pm »
Charging $70k per year per student must. Not be enough.  Let them raise it to $100k and pay the penalties.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 02:42:20 pm »
Oberlin College Endowment: 887.4 million USD

Pay Up!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:49:36 pm »
June 13, 2019
By Thomas Lifson

Yesterday saw the president (salary: over half a million dollars) of Oberlin College (with an endowment of $887.4 million) plead poverty to a jury in Lorrain County, Ohio (median household income: $54,932), urging them not add punitive damages of up to $22 million to the $11 million already awarded to Gibson’s Bakery. (For background on the case see this, this, and this.)

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/06/oberlin_college_pleads_poverty_to_jury_deciding_on_punitive_damages.html

So what if the endowment isn't liquid?  If you have that large an endowment, you take out a loan against it, pay the judgment, and then repay the loan by liquidating those assets over time.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 03:20:49 pm »
"You should have worried about your business' solvency when you decided to destroy another business."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:11:42 pm »
"You should have worried about your business' solvency when you decided to destroy another business."

As Paulie said in Goodfellas,  "F You! Pay Me!"

Online goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 04:50:07 pm »
I think if they got rid of all the Black, Women's, Gay, whatever studies and other similar useless classes and majors, they'd have a lot more money than they thought.
Fire the President, vice-presidents, and other admin members in the  Diversity and Inclusion office, and they might be shocked at how much extra money they have.
If they fined every administrator and professor/instructor for virtue-signaling, they'd have a ton more money.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:08:18 pm by goatprairie »

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 04:52:22 pm »
I think if they got rid of all the Black, Women's, Gay, whatever studies and other similar useless classes and majors they'd have a lot more money than they thought.

As long as those classes have butts in the seats, I suspect tuition rates are higher than the expenses for such classes.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 04:59:03 pm »
When it is time to pay the piper it is time to accept the consequences of a thoughtless or rash actions. 

The invoice is due Oberlin.  Pay the piper.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 04:59:14 pm »
June 13, 2019
By Thomas Lifson

more

Standard tactic.  Hopefully the jury sees through it. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 05:03:31 pm »
Standard tactic.  Hopefully the jury sees through it.

The Judge and Jury have been no-nonsense so far.  I'm surprised Dean Armaindo hasn't sent her SJW minions to picket the courthouse.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 05:28:55 pm »
The Judge and Jury have been no-nonsense so far.  I'm surprised Dean Armaindo hasn't sent her SJW minions to picket the courthouse.

The optics of that would be priceless.  Or at least 33 million dollars.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 06:04:19 pm »
Their mouth shouldn't  be writing checks their ass can't cash.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 10:53:16 pm »
Oberlin College to pay bakery the now-massive sum of $44M over racism dispute
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oberlin-college-to-pay-bakery-the-now-massive-sum-of-more-than-44m-over-racism-dispute

A Smackdown.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Bill Cipher

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 11:02:04 pm »
Oberlin College to pay bakery the now-massive sum of $44M over racism dispute
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oberlin-college-to-pay-bakery-the-now-massive-sum-of-more-than-44m-over-racism-dispute

A Smackdown.

Ouch

I have no doubt, though, that the amount will be reduced on appeal.  My guess is that now the real negotiations over a settlement begin.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 11:05:13 pm »
Oberlin College hit with maximum PUNITIVE DAMAGES (capped at $22 million by law) in Gibson’s Bakery case

Posted by William A. Jacobson      Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 3:23pm

Added to $11 million compensatory damages, brings total to $33 million

The jury just rendered its verdict on punitive damages in the Gibson’s Bakery v. Oberlin College case.

Daniel McGraw, our reporter in the courtroom, reports that in addition to the $11.2 million compensatory damages awarded last Friday, the jury awarded a total of $33 million in punitive damages, which will probably be reduced by the court to $22 million because of the state law cap at twice compensatory (it’s not an absolute cap, but probably will apply here). That brings the total damages to $33 million. We will have the breakdown soon. The jury also awarded attorney’s fees, to be determined by the judge.

The breakdown was:

David Gibson – $17.5 million punitive damages

Allyn W. Gibson — $8.75 million punitive damages

Gibson Bros. Inc. (the Bakery) – $6,973,500 punitive damages

more
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/oberlin-college-hit-with-maximum-punitive-damages-capped-at-22-million-by-law-in-gibsons-bakery-case/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 11:06:57 pm »
Ouch

I have no doubt, though, that the amount will be reduced on appeal.  My guess is that now the real negotiations over a settlement begin.

No doubt. Will the settlement be undisclosed?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 11:33:16 pm »
Oberlin College hit with maximum PUNITIVE DAMAGES (capped at $22 million by law) in Gibson’s Bakery case

Posted by William A. Jacobson      Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 3:23pm

Added to $11 million compensatory damages, brings total to $33 million

The jury just rendered its verdict on punitive damages in the Gibson’s Bakery v. Oberlin College case.

Daniel McGraw, our reporter in the courtroom, reports that in addition to the $11.2 million compensatory damages awarded last Friday, the jury awarded a total of $33 million in punitive damages, which will probably be reduced by the court to $22 million because of the state law cap at twice compensatory (it’s not an absolute cap, but probably will apply here). That brings the total damages to $33 million. We will have the breakdown soon. The jury also awarded attorney’s fees, to be determined by the judge.

The breakdown was:

David Gibson – $17.5 million punitive damages

Allyn W. Gibson — $8.75 million punitive damages

Gibson Bros. Inc. (the Bakery) – $6,973,500 punitive damages

more
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/oberlin-college-hit-with-maximum-punitive-damages-capped-at-22-million-by-law-in-gibsons-bakery-case/

Holy Eff'n Shit. 

What a great day in america!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 11:52:27 pm »
Holy bleep, bleep. 

What a great day in america!

Makes me want to open a cake bakery in Dupont Circle, Washington, DC.   /s
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 12:15:25 am »
No doubt. Will the settlement be undisclosed?
With one of Soros's guys running the show?

I doubt it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 12:24:05 am »
Fantastic!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 02:09:01 am »
Yes indeed! 

Here's another story on the same subject:  http://www.chroniclet.com/cops-and-courts/2019/06/13/Gib.html?fbclid=IwAR2Bol4Gy4ASqRmvKe7MmArcrYkzsq39ldMX7xaWVrnt2akgodV138vXeAs
Oberlin College attorney Rachelle Zidar made the case for a much smaller amount. Zidar told the jury the college is sorry, is working on improving student behavior and asked the jury not to  make a massive award that would impact Oberlin’s bottom line. “Allow us to move forward and not go backward.”

What about improving faculty behavior?  It was the college dean which decided to completely diss a family business by calling them racists and inciting students to riot.

Moving on is to change your behavior and change the people who caused the the problem.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 07:55:59 pm »
Oberlin can cry poverty all they want to...but their endowment fund tells a completely different story.

Endowed Funds
Total endowed funds as of June 30, 2018 were $887.4 million, as compared to $820.3 million the previous year, an increase of $67.1 million. In comparison, total endowed funds increased by $66.8 million in the fiscal year ended June 30, 2017, from $753.5 million at June 30, 2016.

Like most private liberal arts schools, the endowment is the financial cornerstone of the College. Nearly all of Oberlin’s 1,700 endowed funds are invested within the General Investment Pool. The College’s General Investment Pool was $887.0 million at June 30, 2018, versus $819.9 million at June 30, 2017, a $67.1 million increase. The change in the total value from year to year is the result of changes in the market values of our pooled investments and the many donor- and board-designated gifts received from generous alumni and friends during the fiscal year, offset by the distribution of cumulative investment earnings.

https://www.oberlin.edu/investment/assets
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!