Author Topic: D-Day Remembrance Thread  (Read 2868 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: D-Day Remembrance Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 05:48:23 pm »
Russia lost most men in WW2. So why wasn't Putin at D-Day commemoration?
Analysis by Nathan Hodge, CNN 2 days ago

PORTSMOUTH, ENGLAND - JUNE 05: President of the United States, Donald Trump and First Lady of the United States, Melania Trump stand next to President of the France, Emmanuel Macron (L) British Prime minister, Theresa May, Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Queen Elizabeth II as they attend the D-Day Commemorations on June 5, 2019 in Portsmouth, England. The political heads of 16 countries involved in World War II joined Her Majesty, The Queen on the UK south coast for a service to commemorate the 75th anniversary of D-Day. Overnight it was announced that all 16 had signed a historic proclamation of peace to ensure the horrors of the Second World War are never repeated. The text has been agreed by Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Poland, Slovakia, the United Kingdom and the United States of America. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

Among the world leaders who joined Queen Elizabeth II and other heads of state to commemorate the 75th anniversary of D-Day, one was conspicuously absent: Russian President Vladimir Putin.

At first glance, that makes sense: The Soviet Union did not take part in Operation Overlord, the massive amphibious invasion that laid the groundwork for the liberation of western Europe in World War II.

But Putin has attended in the past. In 2014, he attended the 70th anniversary of the 1944 Allied landings. Asked on Thursday why he was not invited, Putin dismissed the suggestion that he was deliberately snubbed.

"As to whether I was invited or not, we also do not invite everyone to every event," Putin said. "Why do I have to be invited everywhere to some event? Am I a wedding general, or what? I have enough of my own business. This is not a problem at all."

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-lost-most-men-in-ww2-so-why-wasnt-putin-at-d-day-commemoration/ar-AACxgv0

What's that hat on Teresa May? Anyway, Putin's popularity is taking a shellacking in Russia right now, I haven't found the right article but will post when I find a proper one.