Author Topic: Africa: Can Amnesty Recover From This Tragic Death?  (Read 265 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Africa: Can Amnesty Recover From This Tragic Death?
« on: May 30, 2019, 05:56:29 pm »
Africa: Can Amnesty Recover From This Tragic Death?
By Christophe Boisbouvier

One year ago, on 25 May 2018, the outstanding researcher Gaëtan Mootoo committed suicide in his office at the Paris branch of the global rights organisation Amnesty International. Why did he kill himself? Can Amnesty recover? A report on the life and work of a remarkable man.

One year on, the international rights body is still in shock.

On the evening of 25 May 2018, 65-year-old researcher Gaëtan Mootoo sat alone in his office on the second floor of the Amnesty International premises in Paris. He was writing a letter, half typed, half handwritten, to his wife Martyne and the couple's son Robin.

Read more at: https://allafrica.com/stories/201905280610.html

This is a tragedy.

Amnesty Int is in the doghouse with me, perhaps, HRW, Human Rights Watch does the same work without the political baggage that AI has.

AI just had some sort of ad with Trump, Orban but also Kim and Putin and I think the Saudis Crown Prince where the implication was, I believe, that all were "strong men", so AI might do some good work but who is behind them? The UN or whom? I have a big caution light with them.