Author Topic: Mount Everest climbers seen crushed together in new video as Nepal debates limiting permits  (Read 434 times)

Offline thackney

Mount Everest climbers seen crushed together in new video as Nepal debates limiting permits
https://www.foxnews.com/world/mount-everest-climbers-crushed-together-nepal-permit

A crush of climbers waiting to ascend the world's tallest summit can be seen in a new video amid the ongoing debate whether Nepal should limit permits to prevent dangerous overcrowding on the world's highest peak.

Eleven people have died so far this year on Mount Everest -- including nine in Nepal -- likely due to altitude sickness, which is caused by low amounts of oxygen at high elevation and can lead to headaches, vomiting, shortness of breath and mental confusion.

Nepal has issued permits to 381 people to climb Everest, which the government says is the greatest number ever....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GrouchoTex

The main problem is that there are a limited amount of days that are conducive to reaching the summit.
Whether you have 50 or 1,000 at camp 4, they all want to get to the top.
The article mentions that one year, only 11 days were suitable, and another year, only 3 days were.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Only 11 deaths from 381 permits doesn't bother me even a little.

Credit to anybody that trains properly and attempts the climb.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline berdie

I've always envisioned Mount Everest "summits" as solitary events. I don't care how slim the time is...this looks like a line at a rock concert.

I wouldn't risk it under those conditions, no matter how good a climber I was.  Too many variables that are out of my control.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I wouldn't be surprised to see the time arrive in the future when Nepal declares Everest off-limits to ALL climbers, or perhaps permits access to a very few...

Offline GrouchoTex

I've always envisioned Mount Everest "summits" as solitary events. I don't care how slim the time is...this looks like a line at a rock concert.

I wouldn't risk it under those conditions, no matter how good a climber I was.  Too many variables that are out of my control.

Too risky.
Even in the best of circumstances, you can only stay at that altitude for a limited amount of time.

Travelling above 8,000 feet altitude is a factor in cerebral hypoxia. This decrease of oxygen to the brain can cause dementia and brain damage, as well as other symptoms.
One study found that Mount Everest may be the highest an acclimatised human could go, but also found that climbers may suffer permanent neurological damage despite returning to lower altitudes.

Most die on the descent, falling or slipping after reaching the summit.

A logjam is created on the way to the summit, spending too mush time in the death zone, increasing the risk of  hypoxia and edema.
On your way down, suffering from the effects of being the death zone too long, you can't think clearly, and you are exhausted, leading to accidental missteps.

It's not the fall that kills you.
It's the sudden stop.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:26:09 pm by GrouchoTex »