Author Topic: Israeli envoy calls for criminalizing antisemitism after NYT cartoon  (Read 514 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Israeli envoy calls for criminalizing antisemitism after NYT cartoon
The Jerusalem Post, Apr 30, 2019

“The time for talking and having a conversation is over,” Danon said. “What Israel and the Jewish community around the world demand is action - and now."

Danon, speaking on the sidelines of the United Nations Security Council meeting, said that those who engage in antisemitism "must be punished. Whether it is here at the UN [or by] political leaders, editors, policy pundits or college professors, it does not matter.

“Antisemitism should have no place in our society," he continued. "Until it becomes criminal, this bigotry will persist; it will fester. It is only a matter of time until it erupts again in violence and bloodshed." 

Danon spoke just two days after a shooter, believed to be a white supremacist, killed one Jewish worshiper and wounded three others at the Chabad synagogue in Poway California. That same weekend, The New York Times published a cartoon widely held to be classically antisemitic. The paper has since apologized. Danon linked the two events with a shooting that occurred at Pittsburgh's Tree of Life synagogue in October, in which 11 worshipers were killed.

More:  https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Antisemitism/Israeli-envoy-calls-for-criminalizing-antisemitism-after-NYT-cartoon-588234

Offline kidd

- in the conduct of a crime, anti-Semitism should elevate the crime to a hate crime
- the NYT should be boycotted
- NYT advertisers should be boycotted
- personally, I have never understood hatred for Jews. I despise anti-Semitism and fight it when I can

Nevertheless, actually criminalizing anti-Semitism (in the absence of a crime) sets a dangerous precedent.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
https://www.jpost.com/American-Politics/NYT-publishes-another-antisemitic-cartoon-days-after-global-outrage-588197

Judge for oneself, I don't think it is as bad as that other one. The other one was beyond doubt, beyond any line of decency for a publication like the NYT.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Oh, hell no.  Antisemitism is awful, disgusting, but to criminalize it - no way.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Oh, hell no.  Antisemitism is awful, disgusting, but to criminalize it - no way.

Thank you!  @Sanguine