Author Topic: Poll: Just 17% Of Americans Think Their Taxes Went Down After The GOP Tax Cuts  (Read 968 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HOTAIR

URL: https://hotair.com/archives/2019/04/09/poll-just-17-americans-think-taxes-went-gop-tax-cuts/

Aren’t “messaging” and salesmanship supposed to be Trump’s great strengths? How did an almost across-the-board tax cut, the lone real domestic achievement of the GOP’s period of total control of government, end up with fewer than one in five people believing that their taxes were actually cut? Even if only Republican voters believed that, the overall number would have been upwards of 40 percent across the entire population.

Perhaps a few less presidential “WITCH HUNT!” tweets and a few more touting the numbers on ower taxes might have improved public opinion.

Eh, it’s his own fault for not demanding a more populist framework to the cuts. Structure them so that it’s mainly the rich who benefit and don’t be surprised if the lower classes don’t realize they kept more of their own money this year too.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST

Offline SirLinksALot

Overall 28 percent believe their taxes have gone up and 27 percent think they’ve stayed the same. The truth, that most people paid less, is the minority position among the public at 17 percent. I can’t get over the fact that only a third of *Republicans* take that position either.

Offline SirLinksALot

Another lie and broken promise from Trump and the Republicans.  By the way, didn't these con artists say this supposed reform was the beginning and there would be more to come?  If so, whatever happened to that promise?

The Democrats took over congress after that. That's what happened. That promise isn't going to be fulfilled anytime soon.

Offline thackney

Another lie and broken promise from Trump and the Republicans.

I paid ~$50 a week less in taxes with the reform.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act After A Year
https://taxfoundation.org/tcja-one-year-later/

...the net impact of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act on individuals is that 80 percent of filers will see a lower tax liability in 2018, with another 15 percent having no material change. Only 5 percent of taxpayers will pay more in taxes in 2018 than they did in 2017. And, as the map below shows, on average, taxpayers in every income group in every congressional district in America will see a net tax cut....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 05:16:06 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Evidence that Americans are too stupid and/or short-sighted to even realize how much they're paying in taxes year after year.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I'm paying far more in taxes this year,  because of the cap on the SALT deduction.   This is definitely the most painful April 15 in years.   

The bulk of the tax cut was to corporations,  and there the message is that the tax bill fully unleashed the animal spirits that drive jobs and economic growth.   It is no accident that unemployment (among those willing to work) is at historic lows,  and many folks for the first time in years are getting raises.  Make no mistake - that's because of the cut in the corporate tax rate.    The GOP needs to do a better job of selling that corporate tax cut as THE catalyst for the current boom.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Hoodat

I am paying more taxes this year because I am making more money.  I don't have a problem with that.  As a percentage of my income though, I am paying less.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline aligncare

Half of Americans don’t pay taxes. Bet you the poll takers didn’t factor that.

0 – 0 = 0

Online mountaineer

Mr. M and I are retired. Our tax burden was 9% lower this year than last.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
It seems people don't remember their higher take-home pay would result in a smaller tax refund. :thud:

We got a refund this year for the first time in a long time.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline NavyCanDo

I went from getting an average refund topping over  $2000 to getting back only $400. I was at first fuming, and blaming the new tax code, but then discovered it was because of my son's age, who no longer qualifies for the full Child Tax Credit.  Turning 17 after a certain date removes him.   Sucks though. I guess they think all kids that age are costing less to raise, which is bull crap.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Overall 28 percent believe their taxes have gone up and 27 percent think they’ve stayed the same. The truth, that most people paid less, is the minority position among the public at 17 percent. I can’t get over the fact that only a third of *Republicans* take that position either.

I don't have a problem with 89% of Republicans saying that they think their taxes will go down, remain about the same, or don't know.  That seems about right to me.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
I made out better under the new tax law...("Effective Tax Rate" down about 2.3% from 2017), but my elderly Mom and everyone else with more than about $17,700. in itemized deductions (for her it was medical expenses) paid more in taxes due to the loss of "Personal Exemptions" ($8,300. was what it was scheduled to be for 2018/$8,100. in 2017). For her (she had more deductions than the new "Standard Deduction" of  $26K)...it was about $1,025. more in income taxes.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
From Pub 529

Unreimbursed Employee Expenses

You can no longer claim a deduction for unreimbursed employee expenses unless you fall into one of the following categories of employment, or have certain qualified educator expenses.

Armed Forces reservists.

Qualified performing artists.

Fee-basis state or local government officials.

Employees with impairment-related work expenses.

Bit me solidly in the ass, with over 4k at the standard mileage rate I cannot deduct, not to mention per diem.

These were deductions which have been allowed since I first files a 1040, over 40 years ago.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frandia

On a fixed income yet while all other variables have been the same for a few years this is the first time that I owe and it's substantial.

Offline thackney

On a fixed income yet while all other variables have been the same for a few years this is the first time that I owe and it's substantial.

Did your monthly/weekly tax withholdings change?

Offline Frandia

No. Retired. Same deductions and withholding.

Offline Hoodat

No. Retired. Same deductions and withholding.

Do you live in a State with a high state income tax rate?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online dfwgator

A refund means you gave an interest-free loan to the Government.

Offline Frandia

Do you live in a State with a high state income tax rate?

I actually received a sizable refund from the state but I owe half that amount back to the Feds. So I did get a state refund but ended up paying the Feds when based upon what we heard, I should have paid more to the state and less to the Feds. That's seems to be true for many that I know.

BTW, just in case anyone thinks I'm saying this as a way of bashing Trump, I voted for him. I only know the amounts at this point. When I get the hard copies back from the accountant perhaps I'll be able to see why it happened as it did.

Offline Hoodat

I actually received a sizable refund from the state but I owe half that amount back to the Feds. So I did get a state refund but ended up paying the Feds when based upon what we heard, I should have paid more to the state and less to the Feds. That's seems to be true for many that I know.

It sounds like you live in a high-tax state.  State taxes are no longer deductible when filing federal taxes.

Offline Frandia

It sounds like you live in a high-tax state.  State taxes are no longer deductible when filing federal taxes.

That would explain it. Sadly, I do live in one of the highest taxed states.

Offline thackney

That would explain it. Sadly, I do live in one of the highest taxed states.

@Hoodat @Frandia

State And Local Taxes (SALT) are still tax deductible.  However, it is now capped at $10,000.  This primarily effected high tax areas and people with larger properties.

Changes to State and Local Tax Deduction – Explained
https://smartasset.com/taxes/trumps-plan-to-eliminate-the-state-and-local-tax-deduction-explained