Author Topic: The wisdom of Trump's lawyers, and the accountability that must follow Mueller's report  (Read 546 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The wisdom of Trump's lawyers, and the accountability that must follow Mueller's report
The Hill, Mar 22, 2019, John Solomon

<snip>

What likely won’t get much debate, but unquestionably played an essential role in the history of the case and the outcome of the report, was the firm decision by Trump attorneys Jay Sekulow and Rudy Giuliani to not let their client testify.

That’s not to say the president didn’t cooperate. His organization, campaign, inaugural committee and White House produced millions of pages of documents, and he submitted written answers to prosecutors about his conduct prior to Election Day. Nearly all key events were illuminated by this cooperation.

Such disclosure likely was enough to satisfy Mueller, since we know the prosecutor in the end didn’t force the president to testify by subpoena.

But the Trump legal team’s decision to steadfastly restrain their client from testifying — a client whose natural tendency is to fight when accused, tweet when challenged, and debate his detractors — almost certainly kept him from the sort of perjury traps that felled other figures in the case, such as Flynn and Papadopoulos, or that two decades earlier beguiled Bill Clinton as president. (Remember the Paula Jones deposition perjury?)

Read more:   https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/435394-the-wisdom-of-trumps-lawyers-and-the-accountability-that-must-follow

Also FTA

Now, Mueller’s investigations leave one major mission unfinished: meting out justice to the intelligence, congressional, FBI and DOJ officials who appear to have used a political dirty trick to falsely weave an unproven narrative of Russia collusion.

Just hours before Mueller’s report arrived, new evidence emerged of just how egregious the FBI acted in the early days of the Russia probe.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Also FTA

I hope President Trump has the stones to go after these people, and doesn't get another wave of "forgiveness" like he did when he said "Hillary Clinton suffered enough" after she lost the election.

It's time for some payback.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The political dirty trick, aka the Dossier, is like evidence planted by very dirty cops.

Going after Hillary and the dirty cops, to the extent that ever takes, place can be separate from the "Mueller Investigation."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The political dirty trick, aka the Dossier, is like evidence planted by very dirty cops.

Going after Hillary and the dirty cops, to the extent that ever takes, place can be separate from the "Mueller Investigation."

I think she has more to fear from a reopening of the illegal Email server.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I hope President Trump has the stones to go after these people, and doesn't get another wave of "forgiveness" like he did when he said "Hillary Clinton suffered enough" after she lost the election.

It's time for some payback.

It's about him now, so he just might.

Offline truth_seeker

I think she has more to fear from a reopening of the illegal Email server.

I doubt anything will happen, to Hillary. She lost. As a nation, politically, we are not yet to the point of punishing losers.

In the big march of time, Trump holds/held little power. Potus for 2 years. He ain't going to start us, punishing the election loser. Not yet anyway.

I believethe Mueller effort, may be a negotiated political deal. Exhonerate Trump. Stay away from Hillary and the agencies.

The report may prove me wrong, or prove me right.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I doubt anything will happen, to Hillary. She lost. As a nation, politically, we are not yet to the point of punishing losers.

In the big march of time, Trump holds/held little power. Potus for 2 years. He ain't going to start us, punishing the election loser. Not yet anyway.

I believethe Mueller effort, may be a negotiated political deal. Exhonerate Trump. Stay away from Hillary and the agencies.

The report may prove me wrong, or prove me right.

It's become a sad country where we can't prosecute criminals who have placed the country in grave danger because they lost an election.  "Loss of Election Immunity" we can call it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

It's become a sad country where we can't prosecute criminals who have placed the country in grave danger because they lost an election.  "Loss of Election Immunity" we can call it.

We have Republican Senators claiming that while they realize we have a border"Emergency," they don't want to use the provision, lest a future democrat President have greater justification to use it.

While not identical, they both illustrate "politics" versus perfect justice.

Here's just a thought:

What if Pelosi's recent dismissal of impeachment, is part of the deal?

Trump is spared from impeachment. Obama/Hillary spared further risks?

Just throwing it out.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
We have Republican Senators claiming that while they realize we have a border"Emergency," they don't want to use the provision, lest a future democrat President have greater justification to use it.

Here's just a thought:

Just throwing it out.

Sorry for the delay...castle work.  I think the point you are putting forth is worth a lot of thought.  That's quite a deal that doesn't speak well of any of the participants.

*hmmmm*
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:16:05 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Here's just a thought:

Just throwing it out.

:pondering:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Schiff: 'It was a mistake' not to interview Trump in Mueller probe
Politico, Mar 24, 2019

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff said Sunday that special counsel Robert Mueller made “a mistake” by not interviewing President Donald Trump as part of his investigation into Russia's election interference.

“I’ve said this all along: It was a mistake to rely on written responses by the president,” Schiff told host George Stephanopoulos on ABC’s “This Week,” as those premeditated answers to prosecutors’ queries are “generally more what the lawyer has to say than what the individual has to say.

“I can certainly understand why the lawyers like [Trump attorney Rudy] Giuliani were fighting this because the president is someone who seems pathologically incapable of telling the truth for long periods of time,” Schiff (D-Calif.) said.

“But, nonetheless, if you really do want the truth, you need to put people under oath, and that should have been done,” he said.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/24/schiff-trump-mueller-probe-1233399

Schiff SOOOOO wanted a perjury charge against POTUS.