Author Topic: Why do Republicans still back Trump? The answer is simple: Attitude and gratitude  (Read 398 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Why do Republicans still back Trump? The answer is simple: Attitude and gratitude
LA Times, Mar 10, 2019, Scott Jennings

Why do Republicans stick with Donald Trump?  It’s a question I’m asked again and again by Democrats, “Never Trumpers,” and journalists. But the answer is simple.

Attitude and gratitude.

For years, Republican voters wanted someone — anyone — to come along and do two things: stick it to the Clintons and punch back against the media-Democratic Party alliance that fires on every Republican brave enough to stick a head out of the foxhole.  If you attended any GOP fundraiser or grassroots event between 2000 and 2016 — and I went to hundreds — you heard this sentiment over and over. And over. And over.

[...]

Sure, we had George W. Bush after Clinton was termed out, and Obama managed to knock Hillary down a peg in 2008. But she still wound up secretary of State while Bill traveled the world, racking up speaking fees and foundation tributes that would embarrass Croesus himself. Damn those Clintons. 

For finally bringing them to heel, alone, the president has earned the forever gratitude of virtually every Republican. The rest hardly matters. Jared’s security clearance? National emergency? Stormy Daniels? Please.

Like the high school quarterback who took his team to the state championship, Trump will never buy a Diet Coke in the proverbial Republican saloon again. And the barkeep will hang Robert Mueller’s report in the back of a urinal.

Read more:  http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-jennings-trump-republicans-clinton-election-20190310-story.html

This is a good and fun read.   :laugh:

FTA

But elections are about choices, and Trump will get the same benefit of the doubt from evangelicals in 2020. He’s a sinner, they’ll tell themselves, but at least he respects our pastors, doesn’t make fun of our beliefs and fights for the babies who can’t defend themselves against Ralph Northam and Andrew Cuomo. We didn’t hire a barbarian to sing soprano in the choir; we hired him to beat back the savages.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
"hired him to beat back the savages."

Yup.

Not my Priest, Pastor, or Rabbi.

If the Courts weren't working overtime to hobble his completely legal actions he'd get a lot more done, and we'd be a lot better off.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com