Author Topic: Humanitarian and National Security Disaster at the Border  (Read 213 times)

rangerrebew

Humanitarian and National Security Disaster at the Border
« on: March 10, 2019, 02:28:40 pm »
Humanitarian and National Security Disaster at the Border
A Congress-and court-caused Katrina

By Andrew R. Arthur on March 8, 2019

On March 5, 2019, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) released its latest statistics on Southwest border apprehensions. As Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen stated in connection with those statistics:

The truth is that the politics and policies of open borders have failed the American people. Our broken system endures, and the ongoing humanitarian and security crisis at our Southwest Border leaves many minors and families at extreme risk of being exploited by traffickers, human smugglers, gangs, and other nefarious actors seeking to profit at their expense. ... Activist courts, congressional inaction, and criminals intent on breaking our laws stand in the way of confronting illegal and uncontrolled migration threatening our safety and security. What was a crisis, is now a full-fledged emergency.

It has been more than 10 months since I wrote a Backgrounder for the Center that expounded on the issues that Secretary Nielsen raises in her statement: "Catch and Release Escape Hatches, Loopholes that encourage illegal entry". At the time that I wrote that Backgrounder, I explained in detail those issues and their effects. I have done so many times since then, most recently in testimony on "Protecting Dreamers and TPS Recipients" before the House Judiciary Committee (HJC) on March 6, 2019.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Humanitarian-and-National-Security-Disaster-Border
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:29:41 pm by rangerrebew »