Author Topic: Jimmy Carter offers to visit North Korea to try to break nuclear stalemate  (Read 888 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Jimmy Carter offers to visit North Korea to try to break nuclear stalemate

By CARLA MARINUCCI

03/07/2019 06:49 PM EST

Updated 03/07/2019 07:31 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO — Former President Jimmy Carter — who once brokered a nuclear agreement with Kim Jong Un’s grandfather in the 1990s — is offering to travel to North Korea to try and break President Donald Trump's deadlock with the North Korean dictator.

The offer was described to POLITICO by Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), who met with the former president in Atlanta on Thursday.

In 1994, Carter became the first U.S. president ever to visit North Korea when he met with Kim Il Sung, the founder of North Korea and grandfather of the current leader, Kim Jong Un. Together, the two developed a bilateral, “step-by-step plan to get to the point of peace and work toward denuclearization,’’ Khanna said.

Carter, now 94, no longer travels but told Khanna that he would go to North Korea if the Trump administration wanted his assistance. Khanna noted that Carter is “perhaps the only person in the nation” who had direct contact and negotiations with Kim’s grandfather, a revered figure in North Korea. And with that “weight of history," he added, Carter may be in a unique position to assist Trump in his nuclear talks with the current North Korean dictator after the two leaders left a recent summit in Vietnam with no agreement on how to move forward.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/07/jimmy-carter-north-korea-1210723
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Bless Jimmy's heart, but we want the Norks to give up their nuclear program.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

Former president Jimmy Carter offers to travel to North Korea to help Trump broker a nuclear deal with Kim Jong Un

Tom Porter

Former President Jimmy Carter has offered to travel to North Korea to meet Kim Jong Un in a bid to break the diplomatic stalemate between Washington and Pyongyang over the denuclearization of the rogue state.

"I think the media have been harder on Trump than any other president certainly that I've known about," Carter told New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd.

"I think they feel free to claim that Trump is mentally deranged and everything else without hesitation."

Read more at: https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-north-korea-jimmy-carter-offers-to-help-broker-nuclear-deal-2019-3

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Oh .... pleeease!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Oh Hell no.

I wonder what President Trump's reaction will be once he stops laughing at Mr. Peanut?

:happyhappy:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

Don't be surprised.
Carter has said these nice things about the press being hard on President Trump.
President Trump likes it when people when they say nice things about him.
Hey, Trump may just invite Carter to go.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Don't be surprised.
Carter has said these nice things about the press being hard on President Trump.
President Trump likes it when people when they say nice things about him.
Hey, Trump may just invite Carter to go.

Yeah, I know.  It's not a sure thing Trump won't send "Mr. Naive" to go give Un more goodies to augment his war machine. 888mouth
I will NOT comply.

Offline Idiot

Send him!  Just don't give him a return trip home.  happy77

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ok,if someone wants to start a fund to pay Kim to keep him,I'm good for a few bucks.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

Ok,if someone wants to start a fund to pay Kim to keep him,I'm good for a few bucks.

LOL.  Me too.

Good Grief, Jimmah, you're an old geezer.  You did enough damage when you were president.  Stay home.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
SEND HIM!

With a ONE-WAY ticket!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Will he be the designated delegate for the North Koreans? 

He already failed to broker on the behalf of the US successfully.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Topics merged, a number of responses in the world news article.

I think this is a good idea. It is worth a try, if Dennis Rodman tries, I go along with that too.

Though, Jimmy Carter had some disastrous foreign policy, with my shallow knowledge, it does seem like the Camp David Agreement was a success.
https://www.britannica.com/event/Camp-David-Accords

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I think this is a good idea. It is worth a try, if Dennis Rodman tries, I go along with that too.

Though, Jimmy Carter had some disastrous foreign policy, with my shallow knowledge, it does seem like the Camp David Agreement was a success.

No.  I remember what happened last time Mr. Peanut decided to go to NORK to broker a "deal."  I also lived through his Presidency.  The nicest thing I can say about Jimmuh is he was very naive.

The last thing we need is that rat bastard mucking things up
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Will he be the designated delegate for the North Koreans? 

He already failed to broker on the behalf of the US successfully.

I'm sure Carter considered giving the NORKs their start on nuclear weapons a smashing success.  He was a Nuclear Engineer, you know.  He did his best work in Pyongyang.   *****rollingeyes*****
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@TomSea

I think Michael Moore would be a better fit. With Jim-mah and Moore both there to advise Kim on communism,he's sure to get it right.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!