Author Topic: Drudge: Shutdown Agreement reached  (Read 46913 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Drudge: Shutdown Agreement reached
« Reply #550 on: January 26, 2019, 02:14:07 pm »
Bush was the face of incompetence. Worse then that he got a hell of a lot of people killed for nothing.

@Amb. Frank Cannon

That's what you get when you elect a homosexual mama's boy that is also a drunk and drug addict  as president.

Not that JEB would be any better. Looking at his wife it's not hard to believe he isn't a homo too,and there can be no question about him being a mama's boy.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #551 on: January 26, 2019, 02:20:18 pm »
It’s interesting to read comments from Republican members of Congress, saying this was an unnecessary showdown that did not gain anything. It seems like Trump will have little to no support for another shot down in three weeks. I’m wondering how many will truly back his emergency declaration, if it is enacted.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #552 on: January 26, 2019, 02:32:59 pm »
It’s interesting to read comments from Republican members of Congress, saying this was an unnecessary showdown that did not gain anything. It seems like Trump will have little to no support for another shot down in three weeks. I’m wondering how many will truly back his emergency declaration, if it is enacted.

@edpc

Trump has two choices. He can either man-up and build the damn wall regardless of who screams bloody murder about it,or he can step down and let Pence take over. He either gets the wall construction started by this spring or it will never get built and no one will pay any attention to anything he says. He might as well resign and be done with it.

We either build the damn wall and start enforcing our laws that refer to illegal aliens in the next year or two,or there will be no country to save. The whole left coast will be known as Mexifornia,and be a welfare nation.

I honestly didn't think I would live long enough to see the 2nd American Revolution,but now I think it is likely I will be a participant.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #553 on: January 26, 2019, 02:35:02 pm »

If it comes down to an Emergency Declaration, Congressional support is irrelevant.  What is relevant is how the courts will react, and I think at least one injunction from a District Judge will stop it in its tracks, triggering a multi-year court case that even the SCOTUS won't find for the President.  That means there is not likely to be even one mile of wall built come Election Day, 2020 (even if SCOTUS finds for the President).

There are a lot of Clinton and Obama Judges in the 9th Circus.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #554 on: January 26, 2019, 02:36:42 pm »
There is one guy I would replace Trump with right now in a heartbeat.  And that is Governor Abbott.  He's certainly on top of my 2024 list.
@dfwgator

Abbott would win against anyone and that means Trump, too.  Just think, elected guy in a wheelchair - and he goes hunting in his wheelchair.  He was in college, doing a run and a tree fell on him and he has been paralyzed since then; he can still use his arms.  He did not quit his life, he stayed in college, then went to law school, was our Attorney General.  He would say he gets to the office and sues the federal government, goes home at the end of day, next day goes back to his office and sues the federal government.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #555 on: January 26, 2019, 02:40:28 pm »
If it comes down to an Emergency Declaration, Congressional support is irrelevant.  What is relevant is how the courts will react, and I think at least one injunction from a District Judge will stop it in its tracks, triggering a multi-year court case that even the SCOTUS won't find for the President.  That means there is not likely to be even one mile of wall built come Election Day, 2020 (even if SCOTUS finds for the President).

@Cyber Liberty

Sadly,I have to agree.

I don't see Pence as having much support in 2020,so it won't be long before Republicans and alleged Republicans start climbing up each other's back to see who gets to ring that bell in 2020. We all know about the usual suspects like Jeb,Mittens,Cruz,etc,etc,etc,but I wonder who else will be willing to jump into the ring this time?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #556 on: January 26, 2019, 02:42:15 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Sadly,I have to agree.

I don't see Pence as having much support in 2020,so it won't be long before Republicans and alleged Republicans start climbing up each other's back to see who gets to ring that bell in 2020. We all know about the usual suspects like Jeb,Mittens,Cruz,etc,etc,etc,but I wonder who else will be willing to jump into the ring this time?

Not I. :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #557 on: January 26, 2019, 02:43:58 pm »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #558 on: January 26, 2019, 03:33:58 pm »
Trump got himself elected by the people, not the party. Despite being dismissed as a joke by democrats and as a nuisance by the RNC and Jeb and the clowns running against him, he won on the confidence that the voters (people) put in him – not the party.

This move to end the stalemate and get federal employees back to work demonstrated compassion for workers which will elevate him above Nancy and Chuck in the eyes of the little people. This, after giving Chuck and Nancy numerous opportunities to come in and negotiate, with everything on the table. But they flatly refused every invitation. They are the ones who look weak – not Trump.

Trump did good for the folks, all the while continuing to build a rationale for issuing an emergency declaration to build the wall after congress had failed to act.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:05:05 pm by aligncare »

Offline edpc

« Reply #559 on: January 26, 2019, 03:41:41 pm »
If it comes down to an Emergency Declaration, Congressional support is irrelevant.

Not entirely. The National Emergencies Act allows for Congress to overturn the declaration with a concurrent resolution between the two chambers. That could be vetoed by the president, then only overridden by 2/3 majority. Getting a veto proof vote is unlikely, but having the resolution pass would be politically damaging.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #560 on: January 26, 2019, 03:42:44 pm »
Meanwhile, Pelosi is still refusing to allow the SOTU speech.  LOL!

Not entirely. The National Emergencies Act allows for Congress to overturn the declaration with a concurrent resolution between the two chambers. That could be vetoed by the president, then only overridden by 2/3 majority. Getting a veto proof vote is unlikely, but having the resolution pass would be politically damaging.

I stand corrected.  I forgot about that.  Whether Congress stops it or not, it won't lead to a wall in time to save Trump's reelection in 2020 because the courts will stop it, regardless of what Congress does about it.  There is no way a Court that overturned Trump's DACA EO would allow a Declaration of Emergency to stand.

IANAL, I'm just making a guess based on the court behavior I've watched over the years.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:46:14 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #561 on: January 26, 2019, 03:45:57 pm »
Trump got himself elected by the people, not the party. Despite being dismissed as a joke by democrats and as a nuisance by the RNC and Jeb and the clowns running against him, he won on the confidence that the voters (people) put in him – not the party.

Don’t kid yourself. He won, because the alternative was so much worse. Confidence and competence were distant considerations.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #562 on: January 26, 2019, 03:47:44 pm »
Meanwhile, Pelosi is still refusing to allow the SOTU speech.  LOL!

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #563 on: January 26, 2019, 03:50:37 pm »
@The Ghost

Like the new avatar so much I think I’ll have tuna for lunch
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #564 on: January 26, 2019, 03:53:23 pm »
@The Ghost

Like the new avatar so much I think I’ll have tuna for lunch

@Freya

As long it is "dolphin" free and "tastes good" go for it.     wink777

Tell 'em, Charlie sent you.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:57:00 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

« Reply #565 on: January 26, 2019, 03:54:27 pm »

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

I wish people would read or listen to my words on the Border Wall. This was in no way a concession. It was taking care of millions of people who were getting badly hurt by the Shutdown with the understanding that in 21 days, if no deal is done, it’s off to the races!

6:33 PM · Jan 25, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

:facepalm2:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #566 on: January 26, 2019, 03:57:04 pm »
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

I wish people would read or listen to my words on the Border Wall. This was in no way a concession. It was taking care of millions of people who were getting badly hurt by the Shutdown with the understanding that in 21 days, if no deal is done, it’s off to the races!

6:33 PM · Jan 25, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

:facepalm2:

He is making a concession stand.

No want some Orange Koolaid?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #567 on: January 26, 2019, 04:00:15 pm »
I didn't say it's not a problem...if MS-13 types were gang raping me or my family it would be a big problem.  Not seeing much of that here, but to be fair it is really cold in WI for that kind of often outdoors activity.

Yeah, real cute.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #568 on: January 26, 2019, 04:02:03 pm »
There is one guy I would replace Trump with right now in a heartbeat.  And that is Governor Abbott.  He's certainly on top of my 2024 list.

Abbott is very solid.  He may be needed before 2024.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #569 on: January 26, 2019, 04:03:47 pm »
@dfwgator

I saw one on teebee a couple of days ago,whining about "We are going to miss a house payment,and I just don't know what we are going to do!" She and her husband were both civil service workers,both of them in their 60's with no children or grandchildren living with them,and they are worried about missing a house payment after decades of steady work?????

They either have WAAAAY too much house in a pricier neighborhood than they can afford,or no amount of money would be enough for them to live on,meet bills with,and then save some. Their house was very nice inside,but all I could see was that one room.

I can sympathize with someone in their 20's or 30's that has children,but a dual-employed couple in their 60's?

And, we do realize that these people were eligible for unemployment too, right?

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #570 on: January 26, 2019, 04:05:08 pm »
Abbott is very solid.  He may be needed before 2024.

I'd like to see him as the President of the Republic of Texas right now.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #571 on: January 26, 2019, 04:05:27 pm »
Hey all.  What's new in the 'hood?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #572 on: January 26, 2019, 04:07:58 pm »

I, too, find it difficult to believe Pelosi would lie to Trump about allowing the SOTU speech to go forward if he caved.  LOL!

We're in for an interesting few weeks.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #573 on: January 26, 2019, 04:09:17 pm »

Hey @Lando Lincoln!  How ya been?

As you can see by this thread, there's not much new going on, just a new forest fire that sprung up yesterday.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #574 on: January 26, 2019, 04:11:03 pm »

Hey, @Lando Lincoln, nice to see you!