Author Topic: Democrats give GOP a do-over after passing a bill to end the shutdown without a recorded vote  (Read 460 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats give GOP a do-over after passing a bill to end the shutdown without a recorded vote
by Susan Ferrechio
 | January 17, 2019 01:35 PM
 | Updated Jan 17, 2019, 02:17 PM

House Democrats on Thursday agreed to vote again on legislation to open up the government through February after Republicans complained that the bill passed without a recorded vote.

Republicans were caught off-guard when the bill, which would reopen the government through Feb. 28, sailed through the House on a voice vote. GOP lawmakers were eager to register their opposition to the bill, since it doesn't include any funding for President Trump's proposed border wall.

As soon as it passed in a voice vote, Republicans complained that they were not given a chance to request a roll-call vote from Democrats, who run the floor.

“I was awaiting a request for a recorded vote and did not have one,” said Rep. G.K. Butterfield, D-N.C., the presiding officer, after Republicans complained. “And if there was one, it was not timely.”

Republicans said Butterfield did not provide the opportunity for the opponents of the measure to call for a recorded vote, which typically happens. Republicans tried to order a revote and asked the parliamentarian how they could order a vote, but they were denied repeatedly.

“What’s the deal here?” Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., asked at one point during the confusion. “It’s done. We told people to go home.”

“I don’t think any games were played,” Hoyer said. “I’m going to look at the tape. I understand most of you were not for the resolution that passed. I was surprised it went without a vote.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/democrats-give-gop-a-do-over-after-passing-a-bill-to-end-the-shutdown-without-a-recorded-vote
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
My opinion only, and it don't mean nuthin'... but...

There should be no "voice votes" in Congress. NONE.

EVERY vote by EVERY Congresscritter should be cast and recorded so that such votes are "on the record".

Never will happen, I'm sure...

Offline Hoodat

Maybe they 'deemed' it passed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-