Author Topic: Federal judge blocks Trump administration from adding citizenship question to 2020 Census  (Read 2293 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Federal judge blocks Trump administration from adding citizenship question to 2020 Census
by Melissa Quinn
 | January 15, 2019 10:03 AM

A federal judge in New York Tuesday blocked the Trump administration from adding a citizenship question to the 2020 Census.

In a ruling Tuesday, Judge Jesse Furman of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, vacated Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross’s decision to add the question to the Census questionnaire and enjoined the administration from implementing Ross’s decision.

Ross announced in March that a citizenship question would be added to the 2020 Census in an effort to ensure better enforcement of the Voting Rights Act.

But the decision prompted a lawsuit from numerous states and cities, led by New York, which asked the court to stop the Trump administration from including the question on the upcoming Census.

In his ruling, Furman wrote that Ross’s rationale for adding the citizenship question was not for “enhancement of DOJ’s [Voting Rights Act] enforcement efforts, writing, “It follows that a court cannot sustain agency action founded on a pretextual or sham justification that conceals the true ‘basis’ for the decision."

Furman also said that Ross engaged in a “veritable smorgasbord of classic, clear-cut” violations of the Administrative Procedure Act.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/courts/federal-judge-blocks-trump-administration-from-adding-citizenship-question-to-2020-census
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Obama appointee.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jpsb

It is beyond obscene that a district judge can block the President nation wide on a policy clearly within the
rights of executive branch to make. The Supreme Court needs to take action to rein in our out of control
court system. President Trump should ignore this ruling except in the southern district of NY where he should appeal to the SC.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Trump will ignore this. 

Absolutely a ruling outside any Constitutional basis for this radical judge.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Trump will ignore this. 

It would be nice if you were correct.

Offline skeeter

Trump will ignore this. 

I would love to see him channel Jackson here - 'the judge has made his decision now let him enforce it'. Trump would be on far more firm Constitutional ground.

Offline Hoodat

Federal judge blocks Trump administration from adding citizenship question to 2020 Census

Yet they still allow the race question.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Obama appointee.
Oh, and one other thing: not just an Obama appointee, but the brother of one of Obama's advisors.

You tell me what this is about.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online corbe

US House representation is based on the Census, imagine how many Reps California and NY would continue to lose if these people weren't included in that determination. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
   US House representation is based on the Census, imagine how many Reps California and NY would continue to lose if these people weren't included in that determination.

That's exactly it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Trump will ignore this. 

I certainly hope so!  But given his performance to date in this kind of thing, I doubt it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

This validates the citizenship question since representation is based upon how many people the State allows to vote.  If non-citizens cannot vote, then they are not counted towards the distribution of House seats.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Trump will ignore this. 

With the Alzheimers he don't have much choice.

Offline aligncare

With the Alzheimers he don't have much choice.

For a joke to be funny there needs to be an element of truth. You were joking, weren’t you?

Or, was that just you venting as usual?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:54:22 pm by aligncare »

Offline Hoodat

Alzheimers is nothing to joke about.  It is a horrible disease and the sixth leading cause of death in this country.

Offline montanajoe

Actually the Constitutional mandate of the census is to count the noses of everyone in the country, not just citizens, to get an accurate count of the number of folks in the country....

The left is pushing the idea that if a citizenship question is included then the numbers of folks responding to the census will be depressed. I don't buy that, the 2020 census will be done almost exclusively by mail and through the internet. The same groups on the left howling about being under-counted will just tell their members to respond by mail or online and claim you are a citizen....would not be at all surprised to see a few percentage point jump in the number of citizens in the Country after the census....

Actually, I would think the administration would be more concerned with getting the folks that are its natural consistency and who have anti-government views to participate in the census.... :shrug:

I know lots of folks who probably won't...

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Alzheimers is nothing to joke about.  It is a horrible disease and the sixth leading cause of death in this country.

The way he has been posting as of late he may be afflicted.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

The way he has been posting as of late he may be afflicted.
@Hoodat

@The Ghost is making a joke about Alzheimer's.  Do you want to tell him it's not funny?

@aligncare

@The Ghost is making a joke about Alzheimer's.  Did you get it?  Could you tell?  Are you humor impaired?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@Hoodat

@The Ghost is making a joke about Alzheimer's.  Do you want to tell him it's not funny?

@aligncare

@The Ghost is making a joke about Alzheimer's.  Did you get it?  Could you tell?  Are you humor impaired?

You used to funny.   I don't know what impaired you.

Offline Hoodat

Offline Wingnut

Offline Hoodat

How does it feel to be tattled on?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Appeal this "upward" -- quickly!

You used to funny.   I don't know what impaired you.

I think we are both funny.  My humor is intentional.

Offline Wingnut

I think we are both funny.  My humor is intentional.

I remember our 1st conversation like it was yesterday.   Do you?