Author Topic: Activist wants Dollar Tree to sell stuff for more than $1  (Read 648 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Activist wants Dollar Tree to sell stuff for more than $1
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:55:16 pm »
https://www.wivb.com/news/national/activist-wants-dollar-tree-to-sell-stuff-for-more-than-1/1691724949

Starboard Value Hedge Fund CEO Jeffrey Smith says it’s time for Dollar Tree to raise its prices.

Starboard Value recently took a 1.7 percent stake in the bargain retailer and wants to work with Dollar Tree on its pricing strategy.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Activist wants Dollar Tree to sell stuff for more than $1
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:59:40 pm »
Don't they dare touch my Dollar Tree!!!  One of the few "dollar" stores that actually charges a $1.00. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 07:01:46 pm »
"Starboard Value Hedge Fund" doesn't really qualify as an 'activist'. They are an investment advisory service and are a major private equity investor.

"Activist" implies there is some nefarious or PC reasoning behind this versus a suggestion for financial improvement from a financial expert.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 08:01:02 pm »
"Starboard Value Hedge Fund" doesn't really qualify as an 'activist'. They are an investment advisory service and are a major private equity investor.

"Activist" implies there is some nefarious or PC reasoning behind this versus a suggestion for financial improvement from a financial expert.
Yeah, I didn't particularly like the headline, either—if it were just an activist, and there are plenty of those around these days, this would just be "Ridiculous News of the Day" fodder. This is actually an investor coming in, buying a chunk of the company and deciding they want to mess with its business model (ahem, Eddie Lampert).

A reminder: Dollar Tree also owns the Family Dollar chain, which operates under this guy's proposed model already.

Dollar Tree has managed to stay upright because a lot of the things it sells haven't kept pace with inflation. The trinkets and small housewares it sells haven't changed in price all that much, compared to the stuff that's driving inflation (medical expenses and tuition for education). The food items that are inflating, they can shrink the packaging, as they have for eons. They still have a couple decades to go before it'll be impossible to maintain their business model.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 12:04:05 am »
Maybe Mr. Smith should have looked for someone else to invest in, or heaven forbid, start his own competing buck plus bush store.