Author Topic: Trump doesn’t need 60 Senate votes to fix the border and short-circuit a shutdown  (Read 2147 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Trump doesn’t need 60 Senate votes to fix the border and short-circuit a shutdown
Daniel Horowitz · December 21, 2018   

Last night, Chuck Schumer said at a press conference, “The Trump temper tantrum will shut down the government, but it will not get him his wall.” The truth is that if McConnell would actually lead and enforce the rules of the Senate, this decision wouldn’t be Schumer’s to make.

Thankfully, the president and the Freedom Caucus finally decided to stand up to the establishment and discovered the facts that Trump has a veto pen and that Republicans still control the House. The president threatened a veto of the open-borders budget, and as I’ve long predicted, the House dutifully passed a budget bill with $5.7 billion for the wall. It would have been nice if this had been done weeks ago, and it would be helpful if they included fixes to the asylum loopholes, courts, and sanctuaries as well, but I’ll take this.

Don’t we need 60 votes to pass this, you might ask? The answer is very simple. If McConnell and his colleagues actually used the Senate rules and fought for our sovereignty with the same vigor with which they fight for Supreme Court justices, the border wall could prevail.

There is a big misconception that it takes 60 votes to pass anything in the Senate. That is not true. The reality is that the majority party controls the “chair,” aka presiding officer, and the majority gets to rule on motions with simple majority votes. A bill can also be passed with a simple majority, eventually. Where the 60-vote threshold comes into play is only if Democrats choose to hold the floor and continuously engage in debate. To shut off debate without any tedious brinkmanship, yes, it takes 60 votes (or procedural unanimous consent) to proceed to the bill. However, given that this is the end of the line for GOP trifecta control, there is no greater issue than border security, and Democrats will be made to look like the ultimate obstructionists on behalf of illegal aliens and drug cartels, isn’t it worth it to finally force them to engage in a talking filibuster until they relent?

Here’s how it works.

more
https://www.conservativereview.com/news/trump-doesnt-need-60-senate-votes-to-fix-the-border-and-short-circuit-a-shutdown/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Hooey.  There are plenty more serious issues than some stupid latter-day maginot line.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Hooey.  There are plenty more serious issues than some stupid latter-day maginot line.

There is nothing more serious than border security.  I find it very stupid that we just passed prison reform when 90 some % of immigrants in our Federal Prisons are illegally here in this country.  The cost of illegal immigrants to American Taxpayers is astronomical.  And the very statistics I just mentioned tells me that illegal immigrants are a threat to Americans.  A wide variety of crimes including murder and pedophile crimes against children.

But if you want to set aside all of the obvious then just remember that Americans voted for Trump on the basis of what he was pushing during the campaign.  That was border security.  The people voted and these corrupt politicians need to do the will of the voters.  We are all tired of the result of open borders.  It is only corporations, businesses and rich people who benefit off of taxpayer funded illegal immigration.  We pay for them to live here.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Don’t we need 60 votes to pass this, you might ask? The answer is very simple. If McConnell and his colleagues actually used the Senate rules and fought for our sovereignty with the same vigor with which they fight for Supreme Court justices, the border wall could prevail.

McConnell already said he wouldn’t do this.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm surprised he hasn't recalled Congress from their Christmas break for an emergency session.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Instead of taking Chuckie Schmuck’s advice to pound sand, Trump should follow the advise in the article and send Pence to the Senate to pound the gavel. Even McTurtle would have to toe the line or be called out for captaining the same boat as Capt Schmuck.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Instead of taking Chuckie Schmuck’s advice to pound sand, Trump should follow the advise in the article and send Pence to the Senate to pound the gavel. Even McTurtle would have to toe the line or be called out for captaining the same boat as Capt Schmuck.

He can also act like the master negotiator he bragged he was.

Oceander

There is nothing more serious than border security.  I find it very stupid that we just passed prison reform when 90 some % of immigrants in our Federal Prisons are illegally here in this country.  The cost of illegal immigrants to American Taxpayers is astronomical.  And the very statistics I just mentioned tells me that illegal immigrants are a threat to Americans.  A wide variety of crimes including murder and pedophile crimes against children.

But if you want to set aside all of the obvious then just remember that Americans voted for Trump on the basis of what he was pushing during the campaign.  That was border security.  The people voted and these corrupt politicians need to do the will of the voters.  We are all tired of the result of open borders.  It is only corporations, businesses and rich people who benefit off of taxpayer funded illegal immigration.  We pay for them to live here.

Hooey.  The national debt and continued federal deficit spending - something Trumpie Bear doesn’t give a damn about - are much more serious issues than whether a few aliens enter illegally. 

And no, it’s not a threat to national sovereignty.  Anyone who makes that argument necessarily commits themselves to the view that this country was not a sovereign nation from its founding until about 1870 because that was when the first general federal immigration laws were enacted, and is further committed to the belief that, contrary to the Constitution, and the American revolution, this country did not come into existence as a sovereign nation until the first federal immigration laws were enacted. 

Is that seriously what you believe?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Hooey.  The national debt and continued federal deficit spending - something Trumpie Bear doesn’t give a damn about - are much more serious issues than whether a few aliens enter illegally. 

@Oceander

And a "Hooey!" right back at you.

Or are you so ignorant you don't think another flood of illegal aliens is going to swell our budget by increasing local,state,AND feral budgets?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online libertybele

@Oceander

Or are you so ignorant you don't think another flood of illegal aliens is going to swell our budget by increasing local,state,AND feral budgets?

:amen:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

@Oceander

Right back atcha.  I’m not ignorant in the least; immigrants, legal or otherwise, do not impose costs on US taxpayers that are even in the ballpark with the excessive spending that even Trumpie Bear is indulging himself in. 

No maginot line, no matter how much it feeds your fantasies, is going to save any money.

The only ignorant one here, is you. 

Offline RetBobbyMI

He can also act like the master negotiator he bragged he was.
He can’t negotiate with idiots and numbnuts that won’t negotiate.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online libertybele

Pointing fingers at this stage of the game is rather futile and accomplishes nothing.  We have a disaster at the border and a national security issue and those in Congress aren't willing to step up and do the right thing and fund the wall.  IMHO they'd rather see Trump fail than help this country. 

In addition, in Trump's infinite wisdom he's going to withdraw troops in Syria.  Let's see ... no wall ... no troops to push back in Syria.  What could possibly go wrong?  Not like there's a chance of terrorists crossing over our borders or anything!  :whistle:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

Pointing fingers at this stage of the game is rather futile and accomplishes nothing. We have a disaster at the border and a national security issue and those in Congress aren't willing to step up and do the right thing and fund the wall.  IMHO they'd rather see Trump fail than help this country. 

In addition, in Trump's infinite wisdom he's going to withdraw troops in Syria.  Let's see ... no wall ... no troops to push back in Syria.  What could possibly go wrong?  Not like there's a chance of terrorists crossing over our borders or anything!  :whistle:

I think you're right on all counts!

Rubio made a great comment about walls. He said they funnel people to openings. If we have a wall we can at least have an idea who wants to come in. Also, walls don't change with different administrations, so the next time we have an open borders leftist as President it's still not easy to get into our country.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Oceander

Baloney.  Idiots and numbnuts are the easiest to negotiate with, and to separate from their money, as Trumpie Bear learned in his career as celebrity and real estate investment scammer.  Also from his forays into “education”.  Trouble is, he’s not dealing with idiots and numbnuts now, but with much more skilled negotiators who also know that they have significant leverage. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Right back atcha.  I’m not ignorant in the least; immigrants, legal or otherwise, do not impose costs on US taxpayers that are even in the ballpark with the excessive spending that even Trumpie Bear is indulging himself in.

No maginot line, no matter how much it feeds your fantasies, is going to save any money.

@Oceander   

Two words describe you. "Delusional fool"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

We have a disaster at the border and a national security issue and those in Congress aren't willing to step up and do the right thing and fund the wall.  IMHO they'd rather see Trump fail than help this country. 

@libertybele

There are clearly people here with ego as large as the universe that would rather see America fail than see Trump succeed. They will go to their graves insisting they were never wrong.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Baloney.  Idiots and numbnuts are the easiest to negotiate with, and to separate from their money, as Trumpie Bear learned in his career as celebrity and real estate investment scammer.  Also from his forays into “education”.  Trouble is, he’s not dealing with idiots and numbnuts now, but with much more skilled negotiators who also know that they have significant leverage.

@Oceander

Ok,we get it. You lost money betting against Trump and will never forgive him for it. Get over it.

Oceander

@Oceander

Ok,we get it. You lost money betting against Trump and will never forgive him for it. Get over it.

/snicker

Glorified FI

Oceander

@Oceander   

Two words describe you. "Delusional fool"

Go look in a mirror if you want to see a delusional fool, FI. 

Offline RetBobbyMI

Pointing fingers at this stage of the game is rather futile and accomplishes nothing.  We have a disaster at the border and a national security issue and those in Congress aren't willing to step up and do the right thing and fund the wall.  IMHO they'd rather see Trump fail than help this country. 

I’m not pointing fingers at anyone except the numbnut Dems who are a wall to anything Trump wants.  As someone who can almost see Canada from my house in the summer and see all the illegals in south Texas during the winter, I’m as supportive of the wall as anyone. I have two dimwit Senators in Michigan, whom I voted against, that supported Chuckie Schmukie in lockstep.  If Trump said he was for open borders instead of a wall, the Dimwits would be for a wall. Time for term limits....ONE and out!

Offline RetBobbyMI

I’ll give in partially since Trump has McTurtle as leader of the Senate Majority. Someone who couldn’t whip a flea off a dead elephant

Offline Mod5

Let's stick to the topic.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Let's stick to the topic.

Go and tell them in the Lindsey Graham/Syria thread, too @Mod5
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

And no, it’s not a threat to national sovereignty.  Anyone who makes that argument necessarily commits themselves to the view that this country was not a sovereign nation from its founding until about 1870 because that was when the first general federal immigration laws were enacted, and is further committed to the belief that, contrary to the Constitution, and the American revolution, this country did not come into existence as a sovereign nation until the first federal immigration laws were enacted. 

Is that seriously what you believe?
There are immigration laws written right into the Constitution, 83 years before 1870.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024