Author Topic: Trump picks William Barr as next attorney general  (Read 1750 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump picks William Barr as next attorney general
« on: December 07, 2018, 03:08:28 pm »
Trump picks William Barr as next attorney general
By Jordan Fabian and Morgan Chalfant - 12/07/18 09:35 AM EST

President Trump on Friday said he would nominate William Barr, a former attorney general under George H.W. Bush, to helm the Justice Department.
"He was my first choice since day one," Trump told reporters on the South Lawn of Barr. "He 'll be nominated."

Trump also said he would nominate Heather Nauert to be the next U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. Nauert, who has served as the spokeswoman for the State Department for Trump's presidency, had previously been seen as the favorite for the role.

If confirmed, Barr will fill the void left by Jeff Sessions when he resigned as attorney general at Trump’s request in early November after weathering months of attacks from the president over his recusal from the Russia investigation.

While he is a well-known figure in Washington, Barr is expected to face a tough confirmation battle in the Senate. He is likely to face questions about the Justice Department’s political independence from the White House as well as Trump’s criticism of the department over special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into possible collusion between the president’s campaign and Moscow.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/420166-trump-picks-william-barr-as-next-attorney-general
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Trump picks William Barr as next attorney general
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 04:13:13 pm »
"He was my first choice since day one," Trump told reporters on the South Lawn. "He'll be nominated."

The guy only Washington insiders remember? Sure he was. You can believe Christie was on the short list, until Kushner intervened. Giuliani was offered the job, but wanted SoS, declined and recommend Sessions.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:56:47 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:43:18 pm »
I suppose he'll recuse from the Mueller business one day after his Confirmation....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 08:07:24 pm »
"He was my first choice since day one," Trump told reporters on the South Lawn. "He'll be nominated."

The guy only Washington insiders remember? Sure he was. You can believe Christie was on the short list, until Kushner intervened. Giuliani was offered the job, but wanted SoS, declined and recommend Sessions.

Ed, two things.  One, it is only gracious for Trump to make a flattering and supportive statement about the man he just nominated.  A nomination which, by the way, is receiving unanimous support and acclaim.

Two, we have no way of knowing who was first choice in Trump's mind.  Of course, other, more well-known names were tossed out but you do not know who was offered the job before Barr, even though you think you do.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 08:28:26 pm »
Two, we have no way of knowing who was first choice in Trump's mind.  Of course, other, more well-known names were tossed out but you do not know who was offered the job before Barr, even though you think you do.

Of course we do. It was well known he had a list of SCOTUS judges, made by outside groups. As someone who had zero experience in government, he relied upon others to make recommendations. That’s the only reason he ended up with Priebus as CoS, to start. Among the names originally under consideration for AG at the time were Giuliani, Gowdy, Christie, Bondi, Cruz, McMaster, Kobach, and Sessions. If you think someone came along and said ‘Barr’ and he said ‘definitely my first choice,’ you’re crazy, lying, or both.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:29:09 pm by edpc »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 08:42:40 pm »
Trump’s new top AG pick has urged more Clinton probes and played down both Russia collusion and obstruction
Washington Post, Dec 7, 2018

[...]

Former attorney general William Barr has emerged as Trump’s top pick to be the nominee for the full-time AG job, The Washington Post is reporting. Picking former president George H.W. Bush’s AG would seem a pretty safe and confirmable pick, on its surface.

But much like Whitaker, Barr’s past commentary has played down the severity of the allegations against Trump — on both the collusion and obstruction-of-justice fronts — and he has also suggested the Clintons should be in more trouble.

In fact, in November 2017, Barr told the New York Times that there was actually more basis to investigate Hillary Clinton for the Uranium One deal than there is to investigate Trump for potential collusion with Russia. He went so far as to say the Justice Department was wrong to give Clinton a pass.

“To the extent it is not pursuing these matters, the department is abdicating its responsibility,” he said.

Earlier that same month, Barr also explicitly called for more investigation of the Clintons, telling The Washington Post’s Philip Rucker and Matt Zapotosky, “I don’t think all this stuff about throwing [Clinton] in jail or jumping to the conclusion that she should be prosecuted is appropriate.” Then he added: “But I do think that there are things that should be investigated that haven’t been investigated.”

In both stories, Barr declined to judge Trump harshly for calling for specific investigations — even ones affecting him and his political opponents, apparently. Barr suggested that was okay for a president as long as the decision was made with respect to the actual evidence at hand and not for political reasons.

More: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/06/trumps-new-top-attorney-general-pick-once-called-more-clinton-probes-downplayed-trump-russia-collusion/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4e8c684f643d

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:15:14 pm »

Well, at least we know Barr won't be attacked for ravaging the hired help?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 09:24:37 pm »
Just saw where Trump called Tillerson "Dumb as a Rock" and "Lazy as Hell"

Wow, I guess his ascension to the very top of ExxonMobil must have been a magician's act.

Not especially a Tillerson fan, but Trump is really coming across as a dumb ass on this one.

For someone who claims to hire the best, he sure issues a lot self inflicted mea culpas.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 09:29:38 pm »
Also from the above WaPo article....

"In my view, prosecutors who make political contributions are identifying fairly strongly with a political party,” Barr said. “I would have liked to see him have more balance on this group.”

Saying there should be ‘more balance’ in the group is quite different from saying there shouldn’t be a group, at all. He doesn’t seem to believe the investigation is totally without merit. He’s made that determination before, after Bush 41 pardoned Weinberger.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:30:20 pm by edpc »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 09:42:34 pm »
Ed, two things.  One, it is only gracious for Trump to make a flattering and supportive statement about the man he just nominated.  A nomination which, by the way, is receiving unanimous support and acclaim.

I give Barr 8 months before Trump tweets that he is a low life and mattress tag tearer.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 09:52:05 pm »
I give Barr 8 months before Trump tweets that he is a low life and mattress tag tearer.

Eight?  I doubt it will take that long.... :pop41:
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 09:54:49 pm »

Those familiar with the discussions said Barr, having already been attorney general, doesn't feel a particular ambition for the position, but does feel a sense of duty to take it if offered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/william-barr-is-leading-attorney-general-candidate-in-trump-discussions/2018/12/06/468e8940-f905-11e8-863c-9e2f864d47e7_story.html?utm_term=.ae814c9c007e

Perhaps less, with that kind of enthusiasm. Speaking of enthusiasm, some Trump cheerleaders aren’t particularly impressed with Barr’s nomination.

”As for William Barr, yes unquestionable integrity, a fine reputation, great experience – he brings gravitas to the job but he is an establishment figure at a time that I think we need a disruptor as Attorney General,” Jarrett said, adding, “Somebody who would vigorously go after corrupt officials at the FBI and Department of Justice who were abusing their positions of power and attempting to undermine democracy.”

Jarrett then concluded, “I’m afraid Barr is not that guy.”

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/12/gregg-jarrett-cautions-trump-against-his-top-choice-for-attorney-general-william-barr-is-an-establishment-insider-video/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:08:48 pm by edpc »

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 10:43:15 pm »
Why is Trump dumping more buckets of water into the swamp?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 10:44:33 pm »
I see this like the Kavanaugh pick. Someone who's familiar with Washington, but seems to not be down with the Swamp's antics.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 11:24:24 pm »
I see this like the Kavanaugh pick. Someone who's familiar with Washington, but seems to not be down with the Swamp's antics.

Fantastic. I can’t wait to hear Barr extol his favorite adult beverage during the confirmation hearings.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 11:27:26 pm »

Fantastic. I can’t wait to hear Barr extol his favorite adult beverage during the confirmation hearings.

If he'll go after the corruption, I could care less how much of a circus the confirmation hearing is.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 11:27:53 pm »

Those familiar with the discussions said Barr, having already been attorney general, doesn't feel a particular ambition for the position, but does feel a sense of duty to take it if offered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/william-barr-is-leading-attorney-general-candidate-in-trump-discussions/2018/12/06/468e8940-f905-11e8-863c-9e2f864d47e7_story.html?utm_term=.ae814c9c007e

Perhaps less, with that kind of enthusiasm. Speaking of enthusiasm, some Trump cheerleaders aren’t particularly impressed with Barr’s nomination.

”As for William Barr, yes unquestionable integrity, a fine reputation, great experience – he brings gravitas to the job but he is an establishment figure at a time that I think we need a disruptor as Attorney General,” Jarrett said, adding, “Somebody who would vigorously go after corrupt officials at the FBI and Department of Justice who were abusing their positions of power and attempting to undermine democracy.”

Jarrett then concluded, “I’m afraid Barr is not that guy.”

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/12/gregg-jarrett-cautions-trump-against-his-top-choice-for-attorney-general-william-barr-is-an-establishment-insider-video/

That's my concern too.

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 11:28:41 pm »
If he'll go after the corruption, I could care less how much of a circus the confirmation hearing is.

Gregg Jarrett doesn’t believe he will.  See post above.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 12:00:18 am »
That's my concern too.

Me too. But then, I've known friends who have been called, reluctantly, to duty. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 12:29:10 am »

And then what @catfish1957   Why all this negative angst about this pick which sounds good to me.

Is it just because you don't like Trump and want to undermine his presidency?  And then what?  If you succeed in undermining Trump for no good reason except that you hate his guts, what do you think will happen in 2020?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 01:58:51 am »
Why is Trump dumping more buckets of water into the swamp?

Seems to be a trend to hire from Kirkland and Ellis LLP the law firm that made a deal with Jeffrey Epstein.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 03:52:16 pm »
Sounds like Barr's been private sector since 1993.  Hardly a swamp creature.

At the Department of Justice, Bill established innovative programs to combat violent crime and set significant new enforcement policies in a wide range of areas, including financial institutions, civil rights, and antitrust merger guidelines. He led the Department’s response to the S&L crisis; oversaw the investigation of the Pan Am 103 bombing; directed the successful suppression of the Talladega prison uprising and hostage taking; and coordinated counter-terrorism activities during the First Gulf War.

Following his service at the Department of Justice (1993), Bill spent over 14 years in senior corporate positions. At the end of 2008, he retired from Verizon Communications, after serving as General Counsel and Executive Vice President of that company since its formation in 2000. Prior to that, he served as the General Counsel and Executive Vice President of GTE Corporation from 1994 until that company merged with Bell Atlantic to become Verizon in 2000. At Verizon and GTE, Bill provided legal advice to senior management and the board of directors and led the legal, regulatory, and government affairs activities of the companies.

[...]

Since retiring from Verizon in 2008, Bill has advised major corporations on government enforcement matters, as well as regulatory litigation. Bill was Of Counsel at Kirkland in 2009 and rejoined the Firm in 2017.

Bill attended Columbia University where he received his A.B. in government in 1971 and his M.A. in government and Chinese studies in 1973. He served in the Central Intelligence Agency from 1973 to 1977.

Bill received a law degree with highest honors from George Washington University in 1977 and then served as law clerk to Judge Malcolm Wilkey of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. From 1982 to 1983, he served on the White House Domestic Policy Staff under President Reagan, and then returned to the Washington, D.C. law firm of Shaw, Pittman, Potts & Trowbridge, where he practiced as a partner until 1989, when he was appointed Assistant Attorney General of the United States.

https://www.kirkland.com/lawyers/b/barr-william-p

Offline edpc

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 04:50:50 pm »
Sounds like Barr's been private sector since 1993.  Hardly a swamp creature.

Please, RiV.....don’t be naïve. Do some research on those law firms. They’re old, huge, large political contributors, lobbyists, and into everything. The ARE the swamp.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 05:02:38 pm »

Please, RiV.....don’t be naïve. Do some research on those law firms. They’re old, huge, large political contributors, lobbyists, and into everything. The ARE the swamp.

What the hell is not the swamp according to you, Ed?  You're getting a little carried away here.

Please, read what Barr's been doing and you'll feel better.

Offline edpc

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 05:33:52 pm »
What the hell is not the swamp according to you, Ed?  You're getting a little carried away here.

Please, read what Barr's been doing and you'll feel better.

Sure.  An earlier version of Shaw, Pittman, Potts & Trowbridge is only responsible for most large corp energy mergers and created existing US patent law.  Both firms are over a century old, with ties to both parties going back to the 19th century.  Telecommunications lobbyists have been a dominant force in DC, since the late 90s but, what do I know?    :shrug:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:36:02 pm by edpc »