Author Topic: Lindsey Graham: There is bipartisan support for ‘serious sanctions’ against Saudi Arabia after Khash  (Read 696 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Lindsey Graham: There is bipartisan support for ‘serious sanctions’ against Saudi Arabia after Khashoggi’s death
by Diana Stancy Correll
 | November 20, 2018 05:56 PM

Sen Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said he believes there is an appetite from both sides of the aisle to impose “serious sanctions” against Saudi Arabia, after President Trump announced that Saudi Arabia’s crown prince would not face consequences over the death of Saudi Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

“I fully realize we have to deal with bad actors and imperfect situations on the international stage,” Graham said in a statement Tuesday. “However, when we lose our moral voice, we lose our strongest asset.”

Khashoggi, an outspoken critic of the crown prince and the Saudi government, disappeared on Oct. 2 after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to receive paperwork for his upcoming wedding to his Turkish fiancee.

Trump cast doubt in a statement Tuesday on whether Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman played a role in Khashoggi’s death, despite the fact that the CIA reportedly found that Khashoggi was killed per the instructions of Prince Mohammad in an assessment.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/lindsey-graham-there-is-bipartisan-support-for-serious-sanctions-against-saudi-arabia-after-khashoggis-death
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Sounds like Pres. Trump questions the integrity of his own CIA:

"King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi,” Trump said. ...."
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Sounds like Pres. Trump questions the integrity of his own CIA:

"King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi,” Trump said. ...."

From what I read President Trump doesn't want to see any evidence of the murder because the victim was the "enemy of the people" and he doesn't care.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Standing with Saudi Arabia

The White House
November 20, 2018

The world is a very dangerous place!

The country of Iran, as an example, is responsible for a bloody proxy war against Saudi Arabia in Yemen, trying to destabilize Iraq’s fragile attempt at democracy, supporting the terror group Hezbollah in Lebanon, propping up dictator Bashar Assad in Syria (who has killed millions of his own citizens), and much more. Likewise, the Iranians have killed many Americans and other innocent people throughout the Middle East. Iran states openly, and with great force, “Death to America!” and “Death to Israel!” Iran is considered “the world’s leading sponsor of terror.”

On the other hand, Saudi Arabia would gladly withdraw from Yemen if the Iranians would agree to leave. They would immediately provide desperately needed humanitarian assistance. Additionally, Saudi Arabia has agreed to spend billions of dollars in leading the fight against Radical Islamic Terrorism.

After my heavily negotiated trip to Saudi Arabia last year, the Kingdom agreed to spend and invest $450 billion in the United States. This is a record amount of money. It will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, tremendous economic development, and much additional wealth for the United States. Of the $450 billion, $110 billion will be spent on the purchase of military equipment from Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and many other great U.S. defense contractors. If we foolishly cancel these contracts, Russia and China would be the enormous beneficiaries – and very happy to acquire all of this newfound business. It would be a wonderful gift to them directly from the United States!

The crime against Jamal Khashoggi was a terrible one, and one that our country does not condone. Indeed, we have taken strong action against those already known to have participated in the murder. After great independent research, we now know many details of this horrible crime. We have already sanctioned 17 Saudis known to have been involved in the murder of Mr. Khashoggi, and the disposal of his body.

Representatives of Saudi Arabia say that Jamal Khashoggi was an “enemy of the state” and a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, but my decision is in no way based on that – this is an unacceptable and horrible crime. King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi. Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!

That being said, we may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi. In any case, our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They have been a great ally in our very important fight against Iran. The United States intends to remain a steadfast partner of Saudi Arabia to ensure the interests of our country, Israel and all other partners in the region. It is our paramount goal to fully eliminate the threat of terrorism throughout the world!

I understand there are members of Congress who, for political or other reasons, would like to go in a different direction – and they are free to do so. I will consider whatever ideas are presented to me, but only if they are consistent with the absolute security and safety of America. After the United States, Saudi Arabia is the largest oil producing nation in the world. They have worked closely with us and have been very responsive to my requests to keeping oil prices at reasonable levels – so important for the world. As President of the United States I intend to ensure that, in a very dangerous world, America is pursuing its national interests and vigorously contesting countries that wish to do us harm. Very simply it is called America First!

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This crown prince salman guy ain't goin' nowhere unless the Saudis "take care of business" themselves.

Sanctions against Saudi Arabia?
All they have to do is turn off the oil spigots, and them sanctions will be gone in 48 hours...

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Saudi Arabia can kiss my ass.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

All they have to do is turn off the oil spigots, and them sanctions will be gone in 48 hours...

We can survive without the Saudis. Screw these clowns. They were involved in 9/11 and they absolutely sponsor other forms of terrorism.
-Socrates

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Russia or China will gladly be Saudi Arabia's friend and that's a bit of leverage they have.

If one believes we can easily survive without the Saudis, just my opinion, we came close to fighting a war with a multi-nation coalition that was a popular cause worldwide just for the Saudis, that's what the 1990 Gulf War was about, I even understood that.... since then, protesters have told us, no blood for oil.

Offline Dexter

Russia or China will gladly be Saudi Arabia's friend and that's a bit of leverage they have.

If one believes we can easily survive without the Saudis, just my opinion, we came close to fighting a war with a multi-nation coalition that was a popular cause worldwide just for the Saudis, that's what the 1990 Gulf War was about, I even understood that.... since then, protesters have told us, no blood for oil.

Maybe we should tell them if they don't straighten up we're going to start bombing them because we're tired of being reliant of pieces of garbage. A bluff of course. I wonder if they'd comply.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:19:15 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline TomSea

That said, I don't really disagree with Lindsay Graham, congress can do their duty and that's fine with me.

The Yemen war has largely come to a screeching halt in the past 10 days because of this incident, in fact, probably just in the past 3 or 4 days.

Some states carry out assassinations, the Saudis got caught. It is wrong what's happened.  If congress acts strongly against KSA, fine with me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:26:32 am by TomSea »

Offline RoosGirl

Yeah, but POTUS ain't interested in sanctions.

Offline TomSea

Roosgirl wrote:  Yeah, but POTUS ain't interested in sanctions.

Actually, the President or one of the releases mentioned how 16 individuals were already sanctioned over this incident.

I do see, how we have weapons deals, I saw a fact check, if we cancelled weapons deals, it might not be thousands who would suffer unemployment but, all the same, there are some that would be laid off, perhaps 300 is one figure that has been mentioned.

I think Germany is the only one that has actually canceled weapons sales.  UK, Canada and us from what I know so far have not.

That said, I don't really disagree with Lindsay Graham, congress can do their duty and that's fine with me.

You may have missed this from the President's statement @TomSea

I understand there are members of Congress who, for political or other reasons, would like to go in a different direction – and they are free to do so. I will consider whatever ideas are presented to me, but only if they are consistent with the absolute security and safety of America.

After the United States, Saudi Arabia is the largest oil producing nation in the world. They have worked closely with us and have been very responsive to my requests to keeping oil prices at reasonable levels – so important for the world. As President of the United States I intend to ensure that, in a very dangerous world, America is pursuing its national interests and vigorously contesting countries that wish to do us harm. Very simply it is called America First!

President Donald Trump
Nov 20, 2018

Offline RoosGirl

Roosgirl wrote:  Yeah, but POTUS ain't interested in sanctions.

Actually, the President or one of the releases mentioned how 16 individuals were already sanctioned over this incident.

I do see, how we have weapons deals, I saw a fact check, if we cancelled weapons deals, it might not be thousands who would suffer unemployment but, all the same, there are some that would be laid off, perhaps 300 is one figure that has been mentioned.

I think Germany is the only one that has actually canceled weapons sales.  UK, Canada and us from what I know so far have not.

That's against individuals.  This is talking about general sanctions against SA, and POTUS said today he wasn't down with that.

That's against individuals.  This is talking about general sanctions against SA, and POTUS said today he wasn't down with that.

Why should we sanction a nation over this and invite Russia to take a stronger foothold in the Middle East against both the US and Israel?

Has strategic thinking been banned around here?

Offline RoosGirl

Why should we sanction a nation over this and invite Russia to take a stronger foothold in the Middle East against both the US and Israel?

Has strategic thinking been banned around here?

Speaking of strategic thinking, please point out where I said I was for or against sanctions on SA.  How about you read what I actually said before automatically insulting me.

Offline TomSea

Per these Senators, this situation still triggers the Magnitsky act and that in turn triggers action.

Here is the letter sent early today:

US senators demand Trump define role of Saudi prince in assassination
(Alison Tahmizian Meuse)

Republican Bob Corker and Democrat Bob Menendez, the respective chair and ranking members of the Senate Council on Foreign Relations, have called on President Donald Trump to determine whether or not the Saudi crown prince ordered the killing of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

In a pre-dawn letter to the White House on Wednesday, the senators invoked the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act, which compels the president to “determine whether a foreign person is responsible for extrajudicial killing, torture, or other gross violation of human rights against an individual exercising freedom of expression.”

Read more at: http://www.atimes.com/article/us-senators-demand-trump-define-mbs-role-in-khashoggi-murder/

Speaking of strategic thinking, please point out where I said I was for or against sanctions on SA. 

So you have no opinion.  And yet you suggest this supports you are a strategic thinker.

Words fail me.  88devil

Happy Thanksgiving @RoosGirl

Offline RoosGirl

So you have no opinion.  And yet you suggest this supports you are a strategic thinker.

Words fail me.  88devil

Happy Thanksgiving @RoosGirl

So tired of your passive aggressive bullshit.  I didn't say anything of the like.  You're wrong and you won't admit it, but you keep doubling down by trying to insult me.  bleep off.

So tired of your passive aggressive bullshit.   bleep off. 

"Bleep off"?  And you're criticizing me @RoosGirl ?   :silly:   

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:44:02 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline RoosGirl

"Bleep off"?  And you're criticizing me?   :silly: 

Go take a nap, you sound quite cranky today.  Or go spend some time with "the kid".  Yeah, go spend some time with your kid.  :seeya:

I'm cranky every day.  And you can leave my kid out of you being a bitch towards me.