Author Topic: Winter Storm Avery Dumps Heavy Early Season Snow in the Northeast and Stops New York City in its Tra  (Read 434 times)

rangerrebew

Winter Storm Avery Dumps Heavy Early Season Snow in the Northeast and Stops New York City in its Tracks
By weather.com meteorologists12 hours agoweather.com

Meteorologist Danielle Banks looks back at the first named winter storm of the 2018-2019 season, Avery.
At a Glance

Avery brought early season flakes as far south as Louisiana and Mississippi.Winter Storm Avery hammered the Northeast with up to a foot of snow.Avery was a record earliest-in-season 6-inch-plus snowstorm in New York City.

Winter Storm Avery created travel gridlock in parts of the Northeast as its mess of snow and ice overspread the region, and has more snow left to dump in parts of New England after blanketing the mid-Mississippi Valley, Ohio Valley and East.

3-day snowfall history of Winter Storm Avery, Nov. 14-16, 2018.

Avery was initially named with the expectation that winter storm warnings would be issued for at least 2 million people, and this criterion was reached when much of the mid-Mississippi region, including the St. Louis metropolitan area, and the central Appalachians were placed in warnings by late Wednesday morning.

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2018-11-14-winter-storm-avery-snow-ice-east-midwest-south?cm_ven=wu_videos?cm_ven=hp-slot-1

Offline Applewood

Guess I'm not used to winter storms having names.  Seems weird to me. 

No matter.  Hope everyone in the path of the storm is ok.

In western PA we had our first snowfall/storm of the season.  Where I live, the bad weather really didn't materialize, but some more rural areas received a few inches of heavy wet snow preceded by plenty of ice. That, plus wind, knocked down trees, power lines and a few roofs.  Some areas won't have electricity restored until at least Monday.  A number of people are in shelters till the damage is fixed and power restored.

None of this is really unusual, except that seems a bit early in the season.  Last I heard, the normal high temperature here should be in the low 50s.  Some days we can't make it out of the low 30s.  We have had an extremely wet year and it's continuing.  Only now it's freezing rain, sleet and snow.  Wish I could send some of this moisture to California.