Author Topic: Is Anyone Surprised Trump Doesn’t Know the Difference Between Baltic States and the Balkans?  (Read 871 times)

Offline Suppressed

Is Anyone Surprised Trump Doesn’t Know the Difference Between Baltic States and the Balkans?
By DANIEL POLITI
NOV 11, 20189:12 AM

Mark Lowen
‏Verified account
@marklowen
Nov 10
In today’s ⁦@lemondefr⁩: When #Trump received the leaders of #Estonia, #Latvia and #Lithuania, he began by blaming them for the war in Yugoslavia. It took them a few moments to realise he’d mixed up the Balkans and the Baltics. ⁦@SylvieKauffmann⁩

When President Donald Trump met with Dalia GrybauskaitÄ— of Lithuania, Kersti Kaljulaid of Estonia and Raimonds VÄ“jonis of Latvia earlier this year, he started with a criticism. At the White House in April, Trump opened by chastising the Baltic leaders for starting the war in the 1990s that ended with the breakup of the former Yugoslavia. The Baltic leaders were apparently

very confused and it took them “a moment” to realize that the commander in chief was confusing Baltic states with the Balkans, reported French newspaper Le Monde.

[...]

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/11/baltics-vs-balkans-trump-reportedly-gets-the-two-confused-at-meeting-with-leaders-of-estonia-latvia-and-lithuania.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Absalom

Offline Applewood

I would think the president has a staff that would advise him of these things.  But I've always had the impression that Trump doesn't listen too much to his people, especially on such mundane subjects as geography.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Are we going to find out later this story is complete BS?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
And Slovenia is, obviously, where Melania is from, part of the FYR, Former Yugoslavia Republic.

If he said this, it is a bit like Obama's speaking Austrian in Austria remark, the way I see it.

Offline endicom

Are we going to find out later this story is complete BS?

Probably. Or that Trump brought up the Balkan states for what has been reported as a growing Russian influence. Serbia would be readily so influenced for the backing it has received from Russia in defiance of Western condemnation.

Offline Frank Cannon

Wow. We got Slate making broad slams on Trump based on a Tweet from a Trump hater about a poorly sourced article in the anti-American Le Monde. Can this be any more convoluted?

Offline endicom

Wow. We got Slate making broad slams on Trump based on a Tweet from a Trump hater about a poorly sourced article in the anti-American Le Monde. Can this be any more convoluted?

Not just Slate. It's being repeated everywhere.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

That's how this shit works.  Don't you know this by now?

Sadly, no!

Drop the "sadly" already @Absalom   This crap's not working for you.

Offline Frank Cannon

OK. So we are taking a bucket of cow vomit from LeMonde and throwing up on the wall and calling it paint. Other papers are calling it the color of the season. It's still cow vomit.

Offline Absalom

Drop the "sadly" already @Absalom   This crap's not working for you.
----------------------------------
Apologies, as I was unclear.
What I meant was that it's sad that the Trump Fan Club
doesn't realize it's sad that he doesn't know the Baltic
States are in NE Europe and the Balkans in the SE;
a distance of about 1200 km.

----------------------------------

I know what you meant @Absalom  Sugar coated venom is still venom.