Author Topic: Trump is'Right on Substance' But Executive Order Won't...  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Trump is'Right on Substance' But Executive Order Won't...
« on: October 30, 2018, 05:05:26 pm »
   Former U.S. attorney Andy McCarthy said Tuesday that President Trump is "right on the substance" when it comes to the 14th Amendment and potentially curbing birthright citizenship.
   In an interview with Axios, Trump said he intends to restrict birthright citizenship despite those who argue the 14th Amendment guarantees citizenship to all babies born in the United States.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don’t," he said.

"We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States ... with all of those benefits. It’s ridiculous. And it has to end."

read more at:   
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/10/30/mccarthy-birthright-citizenship-trump-right-14th-amendment-cannot-use-executive-order
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Trump is'Right on Substance' But Executive Order Won't...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 05:07:03 pm »
It's a good thing President Trump is always up for a fight.  NPR already told me when I woke up that Trump is lying about the U.S. being the only country to do this, or possibly they said mistaken.

They lie politely and in a subdued tone.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:18:47 pm »
It's a good thing President Trump is always up for a fight.  NPR already told me when I woke up that Trump is lying about the U.S. being the only country to do this, or possibly they said mistaken.

They lie politely and in a subdued tone.

@Emjay

NPR is nothing if not polite and subdued.  In a previous life I worked for a NPR affiliate, and they actually teach that method of newsreading.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 05:32:56 pm »
@Emjay

NPR is nothing if not polite and subdued.  In a previous life I worked for a NPR affiliate, and they actually teach that method of newsreading.

I've always suspected that they go to some training center that removes all passion and emotion from their voices.  It's the only station I can get on my little bedside radio so I always hear what they have to say when I first wake up.

Thanks for the info.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:37:16 pm »
I've always suspected that they go to some training center that removes all passion and emotion from their voices.  It's the only station I can get on my little bedside radio so I always hear what they have to say when I first wake up.

Thanks for the info.

@Emjay  :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 06:01:59 pm »
NPR already told me when I woke up that Trump is lying about the U.S. being the only country to do this, or possibly they said mistaken.

They’re correct.  All of the nations in dark blue allow it.  This is another uninformed utterance, if not outright lie, Trump has made in the past couple days.  He recently said the NYSE opened the day after 9/11.  It didn’t. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:06:07 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 06:11:26 pm »

They’re correct.  All of the nations in dark blue allow it.  This is another uninformed utterance, if not outright lie, Trump has made in the past couple days.  He recently said the NYSE opened the day after 9/11.  It didn’t. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

Not sure of the exact policies the nations in blue have about this matter, but I doubt if they are as welcoming as the U.S. 

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 06:23:12 pm »
Not sure of the exact policies the nations in blue have about this matter, but I doubt if they are as welcoming as the U.S.

It’s really easy to click that link or do any basic research on what nations offer unrestricted birthright citizenship as part of their constitution and find out the USA isn’t the sole nation.  When the president just spews things and supporters buy it, that just plays into the narrative he and they are uninformed and don’t care.  When you’re in a tight election for control of Congress, you never know what might sway undecideds or stoke opposition.  The statements I cited are really dumb, ill-timed, unforced errors.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 06:25:41 pm »

It’s really easy to click that link or do any basic research on what nations offer unrestricted birthright citizenship as part of their constitution and find out the USA isn’t the sole nation.  When the president just spews things and supporters buy it, that just plays into the narrative he and they are uninformed and don’t care.  When you’re in a tight election for control of Congress, you never know what might sway undecideds or stoke opposition.  The statements I cited are really dumb, ill-timed, unforced errors.

Well, Ed, anybody can click on Wikipedia and anybody can find things supporting what they already believe.  So, can we assume that unrestricted birthright citizenship is okay with you?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 06:30:00 pm »
   Former U.S. attorney Andy McCarthy said Tuesday that President Trump is "right on the substance" when it comes to the 14th Amendment and potentially curbing birthright citizenship.
   In an interview with Axios, Trump said he intends to restrict birthright citizenship despite those who argue the 14th Amendment guarantees citizenship to all babies born in the United States.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don’t," he said.

"We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States ... with all of those benefits. It’s ridiculous. And it has to end."

read more at:   
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/10/30/mccarthy-birthright-citizenship-trump-right-14th-amendment-cannot-use-executive-order

I guess I’m not the only one who thinks jetting into the United States to drop a kid is not covered under 14th.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:32:05 pm by aligncare »

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 06:37:28 pm »
Well, Ed, anybody can click on Wikipedia and anybody can find things supporting what they already believe.  So, can we assume that unrestricted birthright citizenship is okay with you?

Then I’d suggest the president do some basic research during his next installment of executive time.

It’s not a question of whether I think it’s OK, it’s a question of whether it’s true, or not.  He’s wrong.  You’re never going to get 100% of the population to agree with constitutional content or rulings, but birthright was settled here by SCOTUS in the 1898 US v Ark case.  It can be brought before SCOTUS again, but if it’s overturned, you find yourself in another DACA type situation with people who made it in on technicality.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 02:17:55 am »

Just because he stated the truth he thinks its OK?  You really should roll out a rug in front of the White House.  I agree Trump should not state things that are untrue.  Especially days before mid terms.  As much as we all would like it to be true.

Yes it is open to interpretation but I think he has some incompetent advisors or something.  Whoever told him he could do it with EO.  I like it, but I don't believe it will work.

Maybe the 4th Trumps the 14th.  It is an invasion.  One caravan after another.  One more violent than the last.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:20:14 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 04:35:18 am »
Wouldn't it be nice if Trump would succeed...
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 01:44:28 pm »

I actually listened to what Trump said on this, and I don't think it's fair to say that he's claiming we are the only country with birthright citizenship.  The ellipses are misleading -- he said it all as one continuous statement.  In other words, his comment about us being the "only country" included the context of the benefits we provide, and the other countries that do offer birthright citizenship don't package it along with those same level of benefits. 

That's still a false statement because of Canada, but otherwise, the vast majority of other countries that do offer birthright citizenship are comparative shitholes where birthright citizenship doesn't include a ticket to a bunch of free social welfare benefits.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:48:35 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 09:04:03 pm »
I actually listened to what Trump said on this, and I don't think it's fair to say that he's claiming we are the only country with birthright citizenship.  The ellipses are misleading -- he said it all as one continuous statement.  In other words, his comment about us being the "only country" included the context of the benefits we provide, and the other countries that do offer birthright citizenship don't package it along with those same level of benefits. 

That's still a false statement because of Canada, but otherwise, the vast majority of other countries that do offer birthright citizenship are comparative shitholes where birthright citizenship doesn't include a ticket to a bunch of free social welfare benefits.

Thanks for checking that out, @Maj. Bill Martin   I didn't think Trump would have lied about it ... maybe exaggerated for effect.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 09:12:40 pm »

The correct way to look at it is to consider how many of those countries would anyone actually want to exercise 'birthright citizenship' in...   lol...

With a P.S. salute to the Major... I should have read all the comments first...  lol...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:17:49 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 09:33:31 pm »

Its obvious hyperbole. Trump talks like average yokels talk. Unfortunately given the hyper-charged atmosphere he'd have to curtail that tendency to avoid being accused of "lying".

On the other hand its clear he doesn't give a crap about all the yapping & ankle biting as long as he has his way.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:34:56 pm by skeeter »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 09:36:11 pm »
CNN says he's already lied about 10.000 times, so what's one more anyway?
I will NOT comply.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 09:38:30 pm »
CNN says he's already lied about 10.000 times, so what's one more anyway?

Some people don't get Trump... or his supporters...

The longer that continues... the better...
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online libertybele

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 10:11:12 pm »
I guess I’m not the only one who thinks jetting into the United States to drop a kid is not covered under 14th.

Of course it should not be allowed.  Quite frankly, I don't give a darn what other countries do or do not allow.  This country MUST come first and chain migration and birthright citizenship is terrible for this country.  It is hurting us economically and if allowed to continue will greatly threaten or sovereignty.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 10:12:31 pm »
It seems  that there are arguments from varying different 'scholars'.  This issue will likely go before SCOTUS ... finally.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 10:22:50 pm »
It seems  that there are arguments from varying different 'scholars'.  This issue will likely go before SCOTUS ... finally.

Only if the President decides to push his luck and actually issue the EO.
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 11:07:38 pm »

But which course of action offers the best chance for success if the Constitution and subsequent SCOTUS rulings have clearly defined who gets citizenship upon birth and its the bureaucrats who have been making up and implementing a policy that doesn't conform to the Constitution?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:08:14 pm by skeeter »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 11:11:32 pm »

No, you are not @aligncare

Offline edpc

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 11:14:36 pm »

Nope.

Trump backs off executive order threat, says Congress is better path to end birthright citizenship

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/31/trump-congress-path-end-birthright-citizenship/