Author Topic: How much each U.S. president has contributed to the national debt  (Read 426 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
.......and the winner is ..... Bammy!!!!  Reagan was the first one to take us to the trillion dollar mark.

How much each U.S. president has contributed to the national debt

Donald Trump claimed on the campaign trail that, as president, he would completely eliminate the then–$19 trillion in national debt. Let’s just say he’s not exactly on track.

Since he made that promise in early 2016, the debt has ballooned to $21.7 trillion, and his tax cuts are expected to drive that number higher.

But before you jump on the Trump-bashing bandwagon, it might be helpful to see how we got in this debt-riddled position. ......

----Click on link to see graphic -------

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-much-each-us-president-has-contributed-to-the-national-debt-2018-10-29

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: How much each U.S. president has contributed to the national debt
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 09:01:47 pm »
Republicans don't look so good on this one:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 09:12:22 pm »
Republicans don't look so good on this one:

Definitely not.  The numbers don't like and the debt increased significantly under them; perhaps for some we can attribute the increase to cost of war, such in the case of "W', but it is alarming.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:12:22 pm »
.......and the winner is ..... Bammy!!!!  Reagan was the first one to take us to the trillion dollar mark.

Really?  I would have gone with Silent Cal.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 09:17:42 pm »
BTW, expressed in percentage terms in relation to all previous, check out Wilson.  +600%.  It only doubled when Zero was on vacations golfing.

Yes, WWI, but maybe we played a larger part than our fair share there?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 09:40:03 pm »
Where is silent Cal when you need 'em?

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 09:45:52 pm »
Pardon me, Mr President, but I have a bet with my friend that I can get you to say more than two words.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 10:05:15 pm »
A little easier to comprehend this way: