Author Topic: Trump: 'Robert E. Lee was a great general'  (Read 9551 times)

Offline jpsb

Re: Trump: 'Robert E. Lee was a great general'
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2018, 04:29:09 pm »
@catfish1957

What's WBTS?  I think I needed more coffee, lol.

The War Between The States.

@CatherineofAragon

Silver Pines

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2018, 04:37:42 pm »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2018, 05:03:10 pm »
It's like Rush Limbaugh says, the "Confederate flag is the legacy of the Democrats."

They were wrong then and they are wrong now. I'll go with the Doctor of Conservatism.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2018, 05:18:12 pm »
@catfish1957   My Mother's side of the family kept everything, so I am fortunate to have inherited the letters my great something grandmother got along with her Confederate widows' pension.  The letters were very old South and a bit flowery, not much like government letters today.

Excellent.  Half the fun of research is reading how people spoke in the day.  Like you said much more flowery, much more descriptive, and much more focused on civility and friendliness
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2018, 05:22:36 pm »
Excellent.  Half the fun of research is reading how people spoke in the day.  Like you said much more flowery, much more descriptive, and much more focused on civility and friendliness

So true @catfish1957   I always smile when I read those letters imagining some courtly Southern gentleman getting out a quill pen; although actually they were typed, probably on an old Underwood.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2018, 05:26:13 pm »
My ancestors fought for the Union, one died at Antietam. I agree with you completely - Lincoln was gracious and prescient enough to acknowledge that these were our countrymen and the war was water under the bridge. Without the south we wouldn't have won the American revolution.

@skeeter   Yeah, Lincoln is probably the closest thing we have to a beloved national icon.  But not in my house.  My husband hated Lincoln.  He thought the Civil War could have been avoided but that Lincoln wanted to fight it. 

It destroyed so many Southern families (and Northern ones also) but I know about the Southern ones.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2018, 05:37:13 pm »
@skeeter   Yeah, Lincoln is probably the closest thing we have to a beloved national icon.  But not in my house.  My husband hated Lincoln.  He thought the Civil War could have been avoided but that Lincoln wanted to fight it. 

It destroyed so many Southern families (and Northern ones also) but I know about the Southern ones.

To end a war, somebody or some side has to lose.  ...to tap out.

To think that the South would have won the Civil War.....    :laugh:   We'd all be well-mannered, well-spoken slave owners.   

....hmmmm, wonder if the United Nations would be headquartered in New York City?  :pondering: :pondering: :pondering:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2018, 05:44:27 pm »
To end a war, somebody or some side has to lose. 

To think that the South would have won the Civil War.....    :laugh:   We'd all be well-mannered, well-spoken slave owners.   

Victory was never an objective of the Confederacy. Just independence.  From what I have read, slavery even toward the onset of CW was gradually losing favor in the south.  Adding the technology point, I have seen estimates that abolition would have happen somewhere between 1880-1900.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2018, 05:44:43 pm »
To end a war, somebody or some side has to lose.  ...to tap out.

....hmmmm, wonder if the United Nations would be headquartered in New York City?  :pondering: :pondering: :pondering:

Hey, I was not talking about which side won.  We know the answer to that.  I was talking about how easy it would have been to avoid the war altogether.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2018, 05:46:46 pm »
Victory was never an objective of the Confederacy. Just independence.  From what I have read, slavery even toward the onset of CW was gradually losing favor in the south.  Adding the technology point, I have seen estimates that abolition would have happen somewhere between 1880-1900.

That was my point, @catfish1957 .  There's no doubt slavery was in its dying days.  We did not have to fight each other about it.  The soldiers who died were mostly poor boys who had no wealth or slaves.  Sheesh.  Do we have to fight this war again?

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2018, 05:57:03 pm »
That was my point, @catfish1957 .  There's no doubt slavery was in its dying days.  We did not have to fight each other about it.  The soldiers who died were mostly poor boys who had no wealth or slaves.  Sheesh.  Do we have to fight this war again?

Absolutely.  And the Confederacy made a terrible strategic blunder by firing on Sumpter.  Europe had a terrible addiction to southern cotton, and would have likely sided diplomatically with the south toward resolution, based on arm twisting and that pipeline of cotton.

Sadly, the south's  leaders were full of vim, blather, and arrogance.  Over 600K soldiers and their families paid the price for it.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2018, 06:00:42 pm »

What's WBTS?

Wearisome Bigots Trashing the South
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2018, 06:06:03 pm »
Far as I'm concerned Lee was a traitor.

Yes.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2018, 06:10:44 pm »
 Thought Trump only liked winners?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Silver Pines

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2018, 06:36:48 pm »
Wearisome Bigots Trashing the South

Lol

I'm walking on eggs because I'll just piss everybody off.  My hero isn't Lee nor Lincoln---for me there's only one.  Washington.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2018, 06:43:46 pm »
Lol

I'm walking on eggs because I'll just piss everybody off.  My hero isn't Lee nor Lincoln---for me there's only one.  Washington.

You don’t piss everybody off, Cathy (see what I did there?). Just those who’ve moved you into their heads without your consent and then passive aggressively play the victim.  :silly:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2018, 06:55:38 pm »
Robert E. Lee was a wonderful man,
And he hated slavery.
He didn't want war but he said he would fight,
To keep Virginia free.

After it all was over and done,
And he rode into the dawn,
Where in the world is another man like him,
Now that Lee is gone.

We will see him up in Heaven,
With a hundred thousand men,
He'll be riding on old Traveler,
When we see Lee again.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2018, 06:57:32 pm »
Absolutely.  And the Confederacy made a terrible strategic blunder by firing on Sumpter.  Europe had a terrible addiction to southern cotton, and would have likely sided diplomatically with the south toward resolution, based on arm twisting and that pipeline of cotton.

Sadly, the south's  leaders were full of vim, blather, and arrogance.  Over 600K soldiers and their families paid the price for it.

A tragic time in our nation's history @catfish1957  and, as you say, very few heroes.  But Robert E. Lee was one of the few.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2018, 07:13:40 pm »
Lol

Washington does not get the credit his generalship deserves. He was one of our finest
commanders. My favorite is MacArthur.

Silver Pines

« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2018, 07:57:32 pm »
You don’t piss everybody off, Cathy (see what I did there?). Just those who’ve moved you into their heads without your consent and then passive aggressively play the victim.  :silly:

@goodwithagun

Lol

I think it’s kind of obvious that TBR has 2 ignore functions—-Standard, and Sneak-A-Peek.

I like Cathy.  That was the name of my aunt’s daughter who died years before I was born, so I’ll answer to it.

Silver Pines

« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2018, 08:06:45 pm »
Washington does not get the credit his generalship deserves. He was one of our finest
commanders. My favorite is MacArthur.

@jpsb

MacArthur—-“In war there is no substitute for victory.”  We’ve forgotten that, in some ways.  At least some of us.

Washington went through hell to found this country...a man of rare character.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2018, 08:27:56 pm »
Far as I'm concerned Lee was a traitor.
Stupid comment, but that was as far as I am concerned.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2018, 08:28:50 pm »

Womp, womp.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2018, 08:33:09 pm »
@catfish1957
To many Americans the Confederacy stands for slavery and the statues of confederate soldiers is a reminder of the worst of humanity that should not be idolized.  But I absolutely agree it should never be forgotten that the good guys won.  The only thing worse than a damn dirty rat, is a damn dirty confederate rat.  Like Lee.
That is just a stupider comment than your last one.

Am waiting now to see #3.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2018, 09:51:57 pm »
That is just a stupider comment than your last one.

Am waiting now to see #3.

@IsailedawayfromFR

He can't help it.  He doesn't have a clue and insists on proving it daily.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien