Author Topic: Trump: 'Robert E. Lee was a great general'  (Read 9552 times)

Offline corbe

Trump: 'Robert E. Lee was a great general'
« on: October 13, 2018, 02:18:05 am »

By Chris Mills Rodrigo - 10/12/18 09:44 PM EDT

President Trump praised Confederate Geader Robert E. Lee as "a great general" on Friday during a campaign rally in Lebanon, Ohio.

"So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldn’t beat Robert E. Lee," Trump said before launching into a monologue about Lee, Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant.

"He was going crazy. I don’t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home, he said, 'I can’t beat Robert E. Lee,'" Trump said.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/411237-trump-robert-e-lee-was-a-great-general

H/T @CatherineofAragon

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Trump: 'Robert E. Lee was a great general'
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 02:27:42 am »
Lee was a great general, but he was on the ropes a couple times and McClellan didn’t press his advantage.  Consequently, the war went longer and got bloodier.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 02:33:43 am »
...and Grant turned it around and beat Lee....

Every thing Trump said re Lee, Lincoln and Grant is true...it's history...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:36:03 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 02:42:40 am »
Trump sure is turning this insane PC world upside down by telling the truth.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 02:49:52 am »

By Chris Mills Rodrigo - 10/12/18 09:44 PM EDT

President Trump praised Confederate Geader Robert E. Lee as "a great general" on Friday during a campaign rally in Lebanon, Ohio.

"So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldn’t beat Robert E. Lee," Trump said before launching into a monologue about Lee, Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant.

"He was going crazy. I don’t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home, he said, 'I can’t beat Robert E. Lee,'" Trump said.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/411237-trump-robert-e-lee-was-a-great-general

H/T @CatherineofAragon

happy77 happy77 happy77 happy77

DJT just went up two notches for me tonight.  Would have been 3, if he would have called Sherman the son of a bitch he was.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 02:51:45 am »
Well he was better than Custer.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 02:56:31 am »
happy77 happy77 happy77 happy77

DJT just went up two notches for me tonight.  Would have been 3, if he would have called Sherman the son of a bitch he was.

:beer:    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 03:00:24 am »
:beer:    :patriot:

Not wanting to take this thread off topic, but did you see Milwaukee is ahead of LA 5-1 in the 7th.  Kershaw gave up 5 R in 3 IP.

I don't think many saw that coming.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 03:05:39 am »
Not wanting to take this thread off topic, but did you see Milwaukee is ahead of LA 5-1 in the 7th.  Kershaw gave up 5 R in 3 IP.

I don't think many saw that coming.

LOL!  It's on in the background, @catfish1957 !!

So happy for Gio Gonzalez !  Traded by the sinking NATS to the NCLS and a possible win in Game 1 vs. Kershaw!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 03:17:22 am »
...and Grant turned it around and beat Lee....

Every thing Trump said re Lee, Lincoln and Grant is true...it's history...

Yes, it is @mystery-ak   Robert E. Lee was a wonderful man and a great general.  Lincoln wanted him to fight for the North, but he wanted to keep Virginia free.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline corbe

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 03:21:59 am »
   Rumor is that Gen. Lee also dated a Slovenia underwear model and was a Democrat.  /JS
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 03:23:34 am »
Lincoln wanted him to fight for the North, but he wanted to keep Virginia free.

No, he was against secession and didn’t want to take up arms against family and neighbors.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:28:07 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 03:29:40 am »
   Rumor is that Gen. Lee also dated a Slovenia underwear model and was a Democrat.  /JS

Don't blow my high, Corbe.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 03:35:02 am »

Don't you be dissing Robert E. Lee on a thread Catfish and I are on.  We've got that Southern heritage down.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 03:57:18 am »
Don't you be dissing Robert E. Lee on a thread Catfish and I are on.  We've got that Southern heritage down.

Dang right...

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 04:35:14 am »
Shouldn't Trump be holding a tiki torch when he says this?

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 04:40:08 am »
Shouldn't Trump be holding a tiki torch when he says this?

Nope, the only mosquito pests are the PC pukes who have misconstrued racist and the KKK hijacking the CBF and other symbols of southern heritage.

p.s.  I saw the intent.  You want to dig up some confederate generals while you are at it?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:42:06 am by catfish1957 »

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 04:43:59 am »
Nope, the only mosquito pests are the PC pukes who have misconstrued racist and the KKK hijacking the CBF and other symbols of southern heritage.

p.s.  I saw the intent.  You want to dig up some confederate generals while you are at it?

You lost almost 150 years ago.  get over it.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 05:44:46 am »
Hmm.............so now it's Trump the historian? Who knew?
Granted, Lee was the superior tactician in the War, yet the North won because of it's superior "weight",
as well as the circumstances of history.
Charles Adams, Lincoln's Ambassador was decisive, as he persuaded Britain to remain neutral.
By the mid-19th century, the South was Britain's natural economic ally supplying the cotton that kept the great mills of Manchester, Birmingham and Cardiff humming, a catalyst for Britain's economic power.
Also Britain was approaching it's zenith of Empire w/a Navy that went wherever and whenever it chose.
Had Britain allied w/the South; it could have closed all, ALL, our northern ports in an instant.
Further, Canada remained a Crown Colony after our revolution, housing some 50.000 British Regulars;
which would have directly threatened Boston, New York and Philadelphia.
Wonder if Thucydides Trump mentioned any of this?????????????????????

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 08:09:37 am »
Did Trump get in trouble for saying this or something? This is not a racist or "Confederate sympathizing" statement of any kind. Watch or read any literature on Robert E. Lee, the man was a brilliant military leader. That is not disputed. What Trump says was simply the truth.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 09:48:37 am »
You lost almost 150 years ago.  get over it.

@Once-Ler

We all lost 150 years ago you f'n idiot!  We lost the great Republic our founders gave us for a long period of time but it ain't over yet homey!  We may yet restore it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 10:24:42 am »
Far as I'm concerned Lee was a traitor.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 11:33:25 am »
Far as I'm concerned Lee was a traitor.
Under that logic, anyone who remained loyal to the individual states that seceded would have been traitors to the union, and anyone who remained loyal to the union would have been traitors to their state.

There are only two reasons we give the Union the high road. One is because they won, but that's only a minor issue because the Native Americans consistently lost wars against us and we generally treat them pretty well these days for a conquered people. The other, more pressing issue, is because the Confederacy explicitly supported slavery, which the North was phasing out—although I would argue that under modern standards, most Northern politicians and generals were equally as racist as those in the South.

From all I understand about him, General Lee was a good man, loyal to his home state of Virginia more than he was a rebel against the United States, but caught on the wrong side of history. He was an effective general, without whom the South likely would've been crushed. He made efforts at redeeming himself at Washington and Lee University (co-named after himself and his great-grandfather by marriage, none other than George Washington).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:34:42 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2018, 11:48:45 am »
@Once-Ler

We all lost 150 years ago you f'n idiot!  We lost the great Republic our founders gave us for a long period of time but it ain't over yet homey!  We may yet restore it!

@Bigun
I see you lashing out impotently, but I don't have a clue what what you're talking about.