Author Topic: Trump Urges GOP To Consider A 25-Cent Hike In The Gas Tax  (Read 3813 times)

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Trump Urges GOP To Consider A 25-Cent Hike In The Gas Tax
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 05:23:46 pm »
Maybe thats so, but its not at all clear in this writing. The article itself is carefully worded and does not support the headline. Even the link supposedly supporting the narrative is based upon a 'source requesting anonymity'.

It may turn out to be true, its just that we've seen this same bullsh*t tactic used by the media so many times before.

I think it was a dim hit piece just to try to reverse all their bad news lately.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 05:26:03 pm »
Whatever is needed to fund the legitimate costs of government.   Do you seriously contend that roads and bridges don't need to be maintained?    You want the goodies but don't want to pay the taxes.  That is neither responsible nor conservative.   

The legitimate costs...the honest to God things the Federal Government is supposed to provide for is a fraction of the fraud waste and abuse of taxpayer funds that emanates from DC today.

I don't want "goodies"...I don't want "freebies".  I want to keep more of every dollar I work for than the Government takes from my pocket before it ever hits my bank or my gas tank.

Roads and bridges at the lowest level are a city/county/state function.  Not a Federal one.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 05:28:20 pm »
He also proposed an intergalactic military force. He proposes lots of shit. Most of it goes nowhere. This article is claiming his is actively pushing this. I don't see it. That's why this rumor is relegated to some Communist rag.

I don't disagree.  In fact I am leaning that this is a dim hit piece due timing and the mere fact this is a way to influence the election. 

But OTOH...   this one does have some plausibility based on prior DJT comments.   This pie in the sky infrastructure proposal has to be paid by someone.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 05:47:40 pm »
The legitimate costs...the honest to God things the Federal Government is supposed to provide for is a fraction of the fraud waste and abuse of taxpayer funds that emanates from DC today.

I don't want "goodies"...I don't want "freebies".  I want to keep more of every dollar I work for than the Government takes from my pocket before it ever hits my bank or my gas tank.

No you don't.  You're selfish.   You want good roads and bridges but you don't want to pay for them.    Again - a tax on gas for the repair of roads is an efficient way of getting monies from those who directly benefit from such roads.   

Roads and bridges at the lowest level are a city/county/state function.  Not a Federal one.

Not necessarily.   The flow of interstate commerce - and the strength of the national economy - depends on good roads.   It is a shared responsibility between the federal and state/local governments.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 06:18:44 pm »
No you don't.  You're selfish.   You want good roads and bridges but you don't want to pay for them.    Again - a tax on gas for the repair of roads is an efficient way of getting monies from those who directly benefit from such roads.

That's such a simplistic Liberal take on the situation.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised it appeals to you.

That's like saying if you don't believe in Global Warming you hate the environment.

Both are equally simplistic...equally false and equally stupid ways to equate things.

Not necessarily.   The flow of interstate commerce - and the strength of the national economy - depends on good roads.   It is a shared responsibility between the federal and state/local governments.

That's commerce...not roads.  Point to me where someone can sign up for a Federal road or bridge construction crew?

Last I checked neither Commerce nor Transportation has such entities.  All they do is dole out money to the states who have the highway departments and the workers that build and repair roads and bridges.

And that is money that the states should and could generate on their own via state budgets and not take "freebies" from the Federal government.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 08:22:10 pm »
I think it was a dim hit piece just to try to reverse all their bad news lately.

Agreed.  Otherwise Trump is slitting the throats of those trying to keep their seats in the House and Senate.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 08:28:32 pm »
Agreed.  Otherwise Trump is slitting the throats of those trying to keep their seats in the House and Senate.

But sadly as has been pointed out...this isn't the first time he's made this proposal...he been periodically floating the idea for two years now.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2018, 08:30:54 pm »
But sadly as has been pointed out...this isn't the first time he's made this proposal...he been periodically floating the idea for two years now.

I believe you may be right as I recall this was an issue that came up when he was gloating about putting more $$ in people's paychecks.  Receiving more money becomes a mute issue if the costs of goods, gas/oil, and inflation rise.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 08:32:42 pm »
I believe you may be right as I recall this was an issue that came up when he was gloating about putting more $$ in people's paychecks.  Receiving more money becomes a mute issue if the costs of goods, gas/oil, and inflation rise.

Exactly.  The last thing he should do right as the economy is beginning to take off is take back any of the money he put back in American's wallets with the tax cut.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 08:37:14 pm »
Exactly.  The last thing he should do right as the economy is beginning to take off is take back any of the money he put back in American's wallets with the tax cut.

This is yet another issue that I question Trump's motive(s).  He's not stupid by any means and thinks well ahead and calculates his next move.  He's usually one step ahead of those who are trying to take him down (or so it appears that way).

Silver Pines

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 08:42:27 pm »
    Damn, Is it Infrastructure week, already?

Lol

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2018, 08:57:51 pm »
How much more do you think is "enough" taxes on people?

Whatever is needed to fund the legitimate costs of government.

And yet there are people here who insist that I am the resident Marxist/Communist because I won't seal-clap Trump.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Silver Pines

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 10:24:03 pm »

@Jazzhead

I'm selfish as hell.  I want the money my husband works his butt off for to stay in our pockets.  If I have to deal with potholes, so be it.

No, let me correct myself, because that's not accurate.  I'm not selfish.  We give to charity.  The government has no right to our money.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:28:08 pm by CatherineofAragon »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2018, 02:57:44 am »
It is a good and Conservative thing to pay for needed things, rather than just increasing the deficit.     

It is good and Conservative thing to maintain roads and bridges for the benefit of the national economy.

It is a good and Conservative thing for needed infrastructure to be paid for by the folks who use and directly benefit from that infrastructure.

I support a reasonable increase in the gas tax, provided the funds are dedicated to the repair of infrastructure used by motor vehicles, and that contractors are not limited by artificial rules benefiting unions that unnecessarily inflate costs.   
It is a regressive tax, especially aimed at those who live in rural areas where there is no alternative. Add 5% more ethanol (which reduces mileage) and raise the tax, too?

What happened to the taxes already collected?

I'm Taxed Enough Already, thanks. Gas here is $3 a gallon already, and walking far in our winters is not an option.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2018, 03:45:31 am »
It is a regressive tax, especially aimed at those who live in rural areas where there is no alternative. Add 5% more ethanol (which reduces mileage) and raise the tax, too?

What happened to the taxes already collected?

I'm Taxed Enough Already, thanks. Gas here is $3 a gallon already, and walking far in our winters is not an option.

Are you saying the cost of maintaining roads shouldn't be borne by those who use roads?    You want to spread the costs to those who don't, or just pass the buck to the next generation?

It is entirely consistent with conservatism to fund a legitimate expense of government both currently and by levies targeted to those who make use of roads. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2018, 04:31:12 am »
Are you saying the cost of maintaining roads shouldn't be borne by those who use roads?    You want to spread the costs to those who don't, or just pass the buck to the next generation?

It is entirely consistent with conservatism to fund a legitimate expense of government both currently and by levies targeted to those who make use of roads.

Hey, you know who is in charge of maintaining, permitting and building interstates in Florida?  The Florida Department of Transportation.  Now, why should the Feds be collecting money from Oregon to pay for highways in Florida that are already "owned" by FDOT?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2018, 04:32:18 am »

I'm already paying 38.5 dents per gallon, and enduring the ethanol surcharge (we all pay in reduced mileage and fuel system damage) to fuel special interests and union road contractors in a Right to Work state.

Give me the materials and I'll fill in the local chuck holes myself. I know how to use a shovel.

In short, I am already paying for the maintenance of roads. Ir is the less than efficient use of those funds which has led to the problems with highways and infrastructure.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2018, 04:35:29 am »
Hey, you know who is in charge of maintaining, permitting and building interstates in Florida?  The Florida Department of Transportation.  Now, why should the Feds be collecting money from Oregon to pay for highways in Florida that are already "owned" by FDOT?

I don't like the idea of FL taking money from OR to fix roads. You should take it from IA. They are a bunch of shitbags.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2018, 04:37:52 am »
I don't like the idea of FL taking money from OR to fix roads. You should take it from IA. They are a bunch of shitbags.

I think people like @Jazzhead should put their money where their mouth is and pay more income tax than is required so he can help fund our state FDOT.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2018, 04:43:27 am »
I think people like @Jazzhead should put their money where their mouth is and pay more income tax than is required so he can help fund our state FDOT.

I think it is illegal for 12 year olds to work a real job, but I might be wrong. There may be a section on the 1040 EZ for allowances.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2018, 05:53:29 am »
This story is actually 8 months old. WTG, Eco News.

Yup. From Feb 14, 2018

Eco News. On The Frontline For Earth Liberation.

After the wholesale mugging the Rats just gave themselves trying to destroy Kavanaugh?

Excuse me, at least till I stop laughing.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2018, 07:48:53 am »
“To my surprise, President Trump, today in our meeting, offered his support for raising the gas and diesel tax by 25 cents a gallon and dedicating that money to improve our roads, highways and bridges,” said Sen. Thomas R. Carper (D-Del.), who attended the meeting. 

The article makes it sound like this is a new retry by Trump for the tax recently, but that quote from Thomas Carper is 8 months ago. So yeah, this is an old article trying to be respun.

This EcoNews is a shotty operation if this is an example of their reporting (fake news of re-spinning something months later). Fair game the first time around, but this is just BS.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2018, 12:53:01 pm »

I drive, everyday.   I am willing to pay higher gas taxes if dedicated to maintaining the roads and bridges that let me get to work, to the Jersey Shore,  and elsewhere.

I find it hard to believe that anyone believes it is not a proper function of government to maintain public roads.   The Constitution's commerce clause clearly permits a federal role,  for there's few things that grease the wheels of interstate commerce more than our system of roads.

And what form of taxation is more fair than a tax on users of public facilities?    A gas tax won't impact you, @RoosGirl , if you don't drive.   If you do,  then be willing to pay for services that government provides you that allow you to get where you need to go. 

We're not talking socialism here, folks, with the many being taxed for social schemes that benefit the few.    User fees - which is essentially what a gas tax is - were contemplated by the Founders.    You drive,  you benefit from the roads, you help pay for their upkeep.    That's as conservative a notion of fair and equitable taxation as I can think of. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2018, 12:56:09 pm »
Yup. From Feb 14, 2018

Eco News. On The Frontline For Earth Liberation.

After the wholesale mugging the Rats just gave themselves trying to destroy Kavanaugh?

Excuse me, at least till I stop laughing.

So everything old is really new again.