Author Topic: I Am an Independent, Impartial Judge..by Brett Kavanaugh  (Read 653 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I Am an Independent, Impartial Judge..by Brett Kavanaugh
« on: October 05, 2018, 12:07:03 am »
I Am an Independent, Impartial Judge
Wall Street Journal, Oct 4, 2018, Judge Brett Kavanaugh

I was deeply honored to stand at the White House July 9 with my wife, Ashley, and my daughters, Margaret and Liza, to accept President Trump’s nomination to succeed my former boss and mentor, Justice Anthony Kennedy, on the Supreme Court. My mom, Martha—one of the first women to serve as a Maryland prosecutor and trial judge, and my inspiration to become a lawyer—sat in the audience with my dad, Ed.

That night, I told the American people who I am and what I believe. I talked about my 28-year career as a lawyer, almost all of which has been in public service. I talked about my 12 years as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, often called the second most important court in the country, and my five years of service in the White House for President George W. Bush. I talked about my long record of advancing and promoting women, including as a judge—a majority of my 48 law clerks have been women—and as a longtime coach of girls’ basketball teams.

As I explained that night, a good judge must be an umpire—a neutral and impartial arbiter who favors no political party, litigant or policy. As Justice Kennedy has stated, judges do not make decisions to reach a preferred result. Judges make decisions because the law and the Constitution compel the result. Over the past 12 years, I have ruled sometimes for the prosecution and sometimes for criminal defendants, sometimes for workers and sometimes for businesses, sometimes for environmentalists and sometimes for coal miners. In each case, I have followed the law. I do not decide cases based on personal or policy preferences. I am not a pro-plaintiff or pro-defendant judge. I am not a pro-prosecution or pro-defense judge. I am a pro-law judge.

As Justice Kennedy showed us, a judge must be independent, not swayed by public pressure. Our independent judiciary is the crown jewel of our constitutional republic. The Supreme Court is the last line of defense for the separation of powers, and for the rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution.

The Supreme Court must never be viewed as a partisan institution. The justices do not sit on opposite sides of an aisle. They do not caucus in separate rooms. As I have said repeatedly, if confirmed to the court, I would be part of a team of nine, committed to deciding cases according to the Constitution and laws of the United States. I would always strive to be a team player.

More:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-am-an-independent-impartial-judge-1538695822

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:10:00 am by mystery-ak »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: I Am an Independent, Impartial Judge..by Brett Kavanaugh
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:09:33 am »
[...]

Against that backdrop, I testified before the Judiciary Committee last Thursday to defend my family, my good name and my lifetime of public service. My hearing testimony was forceful and passionate. That is because I forcefully and passionately denied the allegation against me. At times, my testimony—both in my opening statement and in response to questions—reflected my overwhelming frustration at being wrongly accused, without corroboration, of horrible conduct completely contrary to my record and character. My statement and answers also reflected my deep distress at the unfairness of how this allegation has been handled.

I was very emotional last Thursday, more so than I have ever been. I might have been too emotional at times. I know that my tone was sharp, and I said a few things I should not have said. I hope everyone can understand that I was there as a son, husband and dad. I testified with five people foremost in my mind: my mom, my dad, my wife, and most of all my daughters.

[...]

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 12:31:13 am »
Bad move.  He does not seem to know when to keep his Mouth Shut.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 12:34:33 am »
Someone probably advised him to do this. Not sure about the tactic.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 01:20:04 am »
I Am an Independent, Impartial Judge

By Brett M. Kavanaugh
Oct. 4, 2018 7:30 p.m. ET

“I revere the Constitution. I believe that an independent and impartial judiciary is essential to our constitutional republic. If confirmed by the Senate to serve on the Supreme Court, I will keep an open mind in every case and always strive to preserve the Constitution of the United States and the American rule of law.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-am-an-independent-impartial-judge-1538695822
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 01:25:36 am »
Judge Brett Kavanaugh is a man who has been greatly wronged and I, for one, am HIGHLY pissed off over it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline verga

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 11:12:11 am »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 11:18:51 am »
Let your rulings across your career speak for you.  If you’re ruling using Constitutional standards, that’s the only thing that matters.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 12:42:53 pm »
Threads merged.